April 18, 2014, 05:02:46 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When does the season start?  (Read 3210 times)
LotACrab

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2012, 05:57:05 PM »

It has been warmer then normal and thought maybe the season would start earlier. Would love to start crabbing on Long Island if it is worth going out. Anyone been out yet?  When is a good time to start?
terriblecrabber

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:23:21 PM »

I'm not an avid LI crabber, but from what I understand, Long Island heats up later on in the season (late July-August)..so even with a mild winter and warmer weather here in March, I think we'd have to wait until late may or June to have productive Long Island trips. I would think that NJ will see results a month+ sooner than the island. If you go out, let us know how you do.  Wink
ziggypup

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 08:46:16 PM »

I am out on Long Island and normally start crabbing in June. If the early warm weather holds up I might start setting some traps in May.
Horsin

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 10:06:29 PM »

I am out on Long Island and normally start crabbing in June. If the early warm weather holds up I might start setting some traps in May.

From past experience I do not start dropping traps until the water temp hits at least 65 degrees.
Also I take into account the amount of rain and snow melt leading up to the start of crabbing!
As of now it looks like the water temp has at least 20 degrees to go before it hits the minimum of 65 but if the current warm streak keeps up its run (plus the lack of snow melt and rain continue as well)then it may well be the earliest we have seen a start to crabbin in many years!!!
LongIsland23

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 09:58:26 AM »

I've actually had 2 hotel traps in for the past week and I've caught dozens of large atlantic rock crabs and 2 small blue claws here on the south shore.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home