•Recreational crabbers may set recreational crabbing gear and crab from boats:
◦during May, Jun, Jul, Aug and Sept
■between 1/2 hour before sunrise to 5:00PM in the main Bay
■between 1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset in the tributaries of the Bay
◦during Apr, Oct, Nov and Dec
■between 1/2 hour after sunrise to 5:00 PM main Bay
■between 1/2 hour after sunrise to sunset in tributaries
•Recreational crabbers may not set recreational crabbing gear or crab from boats on Wednesdays except pots from private piers, dipnets or handlines. http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/regulations/regindex.asp?page=bluecrab
kornism13 - I do not see where says you CAN'T handline at night nor handline on Wednesday. When in doubt ask the man that enforces the laws Telephone: Call toll-free in Maryland at 1-877-620-8DNR (8367) (Weekdays 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.)
Out of State: 410-260-8DNR (8367) (Weekdays 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.)
That is correct, you can handline anytime.
This subject is certainly up for interpretation.... I would have thought handlines would be considered "crabbing gear" that can be used on Wednesdays, but not outside legal time of day.
But then, maybe that only applies if you're IN A BOAT.
That is only the summary. You need to look at the acual Comar. The Comar reads like this:
B. Recreational. Except for handlines and dipnets
, a person may not set any recreational crabbing gear or catch crabs for
recreational purposes from a boat during:
(1) May through September between:
(a) 5 p.m. and 1/2 hour before sunrise in the main Chesapeake Bay; and
(b) Sunset and 1/2 hour before sunrise in tidal waters tributary to the Chesapeake Bay;
(2) April, October, November, and December between:
(a) 5 p.m. and 1/2 hour after sunrise in the main Chesapeake Bay; and
(b) Sunset and 1/2 hour after sunrise in tidal waters tributary to the Chesapeake Bay.
(1) Except for crab pots from private piers, dipnets, or handlines
, a person may not set any crabbing gear or catch crabs for
recreational purposes on Wednesdays in the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries.
(2) When a State or federal holiday falls on a Wednesday or Thursday, recreational crabbing is permitted on the Wednesday of that
(3) An individual may not offer to sell or sell crabs that were caught for recreational purposes.
(4) An individual may not knowingly buy or offer to buy crabs which were caught for recreational purposes.
(5) An individual licensed to provide services as a fishing guide or to fish recreationally in the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal
tributaries may possess any number of soft crabs or male peeler crabs for the purposes of fishing.
And don't forget, the above is for Maryland CHESAPEAKE BAY AND TRIBUTARIES!
The Coastal Bays of Maryland (Ocean City) have no time limits for any recreational crabbing. You can crab Wednsdays and keep mature females.