July 22, 2014, 11:28:51 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long will cleaned crabs stay fresh in fridge?  (Read 11858 times)
JonL

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2012, 08:08:14 PM »

I want to go crabbining tomorrow but will not have a chance to eat them until next Sunday.  If I clean them and put them in the fridge in a airtight container how long will they stay fresh?
Thanks - Jon
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BLACK RIVER, NY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 08:59:48 PM »

Not THAT long.

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
Seanile
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

WHEN THE CHICKEN NECK DROPS, THE BS STOPS

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 09:56:48 PM »

There's no clear answer to your question as there are too many factors to consider.

Personally, I'd cook 'em ASAP, then refrigerate as close to 35 degress as possible, then hope you don't smell ammonia when you give 'em the sniff test next Sunday.  Good luck.

~ Bruce ~

If a man speaks at sea, where no woman can hear, is he still wrong?
rapp414

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 10:11:21 PM »

We had to throw some out that we cleaned and didn't cook ,they were in our fridge for 2 days and got nasty.I've kept them a day with no problem,then cooked them.I would think if if you caught them on Monday maybe kept them alive for a day,cleaned them then waited a day and cooked them on Wed ,you'd be fine eating them over the weekend
CraigFos

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 12:27:09 PM »

I eat cooked crabs five or six days after cooking all the time, year round.  I wouldn't go over a week, but if you catch them and cook them on Monday they should be just fine on Sunday.

Craig
Life's a beach and then it erodes.
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »

I've recently switched to boiling my crabs and they seem to keep longer in the fridge.  (And taste better).  I boil for 25 min, immediately cool the crabs in cold water (keeps the meat from sticking) and refrigerating any leftovers upside down in a sealed tupperware container.  Upside down so they can drain.  Sealed container to keep the crabs from drying out.  This is a combination of tips I've gathered from other members here.  I've eaten crabs 9 days after cooking this way and there was no hint of spoiling.

#1 rule: the nose knows.  At the slightest smell of ammonia or other foul odor, trash them.

BTW, I boil with water, cider vinegar, JO and garlic.  Best crabs I ever had.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 01:25:36 PM by CaptMoose » Logged

(856) 975-1787   captmoosecrabgear@gmail.com
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

trips 13 Bu.- 18 Biggest 8 1/8"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 01:23:50 PM »

I've recently switched to boiling my crabs and they seem to keep longer in the fridge.  I boil for 25 min, immediately cool the crabs in cold water (keeps the meat from sticking) and refrigerating any leftovers upside down in a sealed tupperware container.  Upside down so they can drain.  Sealed container to keep the crabs from drying out.  This is a combination of tips I've gathered from other members here.  I've eaten crabs 9 days after cooking this way and there was no hint of spoiling.

#1 rule: the nose knows.  At the slightest smell of ammonia or other foul odor, trash them.
x2 but no boiling for me..on some rare drunken occasions I have eaten crabs that had been in the fridge for over 2 weeks.

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
TAXI CRAB
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 01:48:01 PM »

Boil? Say it ain't so Sad Grin

A closed mouth gathers no foot.
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 01:52:13 PM »

I knew that wouldn't take long. 

Try it before you knock it.  Great taste and they last longer IMO.  Nothing wrong with that.

crabbywaters
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 03:04:43 PM »

x2 but no boiling for me..on some rare drunken occasions I have eaten crabs that had been in the fridge for over 2 weeks.
laugh laugh laugh laugh

I wish i was a crab.
TAXI CRAB
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 03:15:46 PM »

I'm just messing with ya moose. I tried Ronnie's boil at last years wye party and like it.   

A closed mouth gathers no foot.
rapp414

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 09:32:24 PM »

I've recently switched to boiling my crabs and they seem to keep longer in the fridge.  (And taste better).  I boil for 25 min, immediately cool the crabs in cold water (keeps the meat from sticking) and refrigerating any leftovers upside down in a sealed tupperware container.  Upside down so they can drain.  Sealed container to keep the crabs from drying out.  This is a combination of tips I've gathered from other members here.  I've eaten crabs 9 days after cooking this way and there was no hint of spoiling.

#1 rule: the nose knows.  At the slightest smell of ammonia or other foul odor, trash them.

A friend of ours boils in beer water and old bay,he boils them for 12 min.When you say cool in cold water ,do you mean soak or rinse ?
tedbo

Love MD jimmies but can't deal with the wye mobs..

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 11:30:45 AM »

As the previous posts said, many factors to consider. As Bruce said if you can keep your fridge at 35f you're off to a good start.

When you say "cleaned" I don't know if you mean cooked also.  I can't speak to keeping uncooked crab, but I would guess it would be the same as uncooked fish.

My experience had gotten me to a point where I can keep cooked crab for about 2 weeks in the fridge and it still be fine.  I haven't gone past that time frame but I think it's possible but I've never had any around longer.

You need to clean them first, I'm not sure if whole crabs will last as long, but the top shell would be a problem with my method because of the sharp points poke holes in my storage bags.

What you need is freezer weight ziplok bags.  And when you steam your jimmies, (I steam for 17 mins), you need to put them in the bags as hot as you can stand to handle them, (wearing latex gloves), 2 people, one holding the open bag, then squeeze as much of the air out as possible and seal.  You don't need to draw a vacuum or anything like that just press it down and seal.  You want them hot so as to have some steam filling up the bag and condensating on the sides of the bag.  I wear double layers of the disposable gloves, or you could use heavier rubber gloves just make sure they are very clean, and try to be aware of creating an almost sterile process when transferring to the bags.

I then put them in a dry empty cooler until the cool down, maybe 8 hours, and put them in the fridge.  But it's really important to get heave bags which won't puncture from claw spurs, air leaks cause spoilage and dehydration.

Elevated temperature and the micro bugs in air are to two biggest threats to cause spoilage.  Steam displaces air, I'm not saying all the air is out of the bag, but I think enough is removed to slow the spoil process.  Letting them cool slowly in the cooler may help weaken or kill any micro bugs that may have entered the bag.  However this is all a guess as to why they last, but they do.

If you get to the point where they look OK and smell OK but you are still a little nervous, you can always pick them and make crabcakes. Fire is the great purifier... 20 mins at 350f and everything is dead.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:28:37 PM by tedbo » Logged

I feel sorry for the man who doesn't drink.  When he gets up in the morning that's the best he's gonna feel all day! LBJ
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 12:36:26 PM »

Huh..?  What..?  what is wrong with you Moose... bad enough you CBC but now boiled .. good grief...

MD / PA Line
flounderpounder
Lifetime Member

trips 13 Bu.- 18 Biggest 8 1/8"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 04:24:18 PM »

Boiled or cbc at least hes allowed to come to the wye party. !!!! Lol

" I CAN SKIN A BUCK, I CAN RUN A TROT LINE A PA BOY CAN SURVIVE" 

"YOU CAN LOVE ME OR HATE ME, BUT WHEN YOU HATE ME, YOU LOVE TO HATE ME "Wink
bigjohntate

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 01:45:42 PM »

They're fine for a few days. Heck at about day 6, when they dry up a bit, it's just crab jerky! No problems there!

"I had to punch him...He was starting to make sense."
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 10:27:03 PM »

Frank, to cool fast, I soak in cold running water.  I take a big tupperware & fill it in the sink & dunk as many crabs as I can at a time.  Claw meat doesn't stick to the shell as much.

Dog, many people have been trying to find that out for a long time.  Where to start...  Oh yeah... shut up dog!   Wink     Cheesy    laugh

Dreampixels
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 11:00:43 PM »

Oh [dang]! Darth Vader - the Dark Side - Capt. Ron did some Voodoo Sue on ya....... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

However I must say it is a step up from CBC........ laugh laugh laugh

I wish to die like father did, in his sleep unlike his screaming passengers aboard his plane.

There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.    Marshall McLuhan

"Because I walk only in my shoes I enjoy Controversy. It allows me to view the minds and souls of others." Dreampixels

Extremist think "Communication" means agreeing with them. Leo Rosten

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home