April 23, 2014, 06:08:09 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference between Maryland Blue Crab and Blue Swimming Crab (Austrialia)  (Read 21531 times)
Marylander

« on: November 28, 2005, 03:32:56 AM »

I recently placed an order for crab cakes from Chesapeake Bay Gourmet. QVC sells a lot of these crab cakes and they look great on the tube but while they are advertised as "Chesapeake" Jumbo Lump Crab Meat, I was perplexed to find "blue swimming crab" listed as one of the ingredients when I researched the product online. Research into this species reveals a somewhat small, spindly-looking creature native to Australia that doesn't look like it would have much meat on it. Not to mention: it looks nothing like a Maryland Blue crab.
I was born and raised in Maryland, but now live up north in New Hampshire. My memories center on family outtings to the local crab shacks of the Delmarva area and the great, authentic, sweet taste of the Maryland Blue Crab. I understand how threatened the native Maryland blue crab population is, owing to over fishing and pollution. I'm also aware that food vendors increasingly are resorting to including other crab meats in their products and calling them Maryland Blue crab. Is this wrong? I haven't received my order from QVC yet - wondering if I should just cancel and be content to get my Blue crabs only once or twice a year when I'm in the area visiting family. Appreciative of any informative reply.
Susan P. (dying for Maryland Blues in Milford, NH).  Undecided
Steve
Steve Zinski
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 07:47:57 AM »

While the "blue swimming crab" is a different species, I believe that you won't be able to tell the difference in taste with the crabcakes that you ordered. The distinctive taste of the meat gets lost with the addition of other ingredients and spices. It's sort of like fine bourbon. You wouldn't want to mix a fine bourbon with coca-cola, you'd want to sip it straight. Once bourbon is mixed with coke, you'd be hard pressed to tell whether you were drinking 4-year old Jim Beam or 15-year old Jefferson's Reserve.  Wink

My rule of thumb is that I'll buy imported meat (e.g., Phillips Seafood products from Costco) if I'm going to make crabcakes. But, if I'm going to enjoy the meat "straight up," then I'll make sure that I'm using genuine domestic blue crab meat.  Smiley

This forum is a member-supported public resource. Please help by becoming a Supporting Member today.
RajunCajun

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 09:37:20 AM »

Just 1 comment, Phiilips sucks.
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLANDS, BC CANADA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 09:43:14 AM »

The Blue Swimming Crab of Australia , is the one with the Foster's in it's claw..... laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
Islander
Lifetime Member

"Life is simple, its just not easy."

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 10:59:51 AM »

Here's a pic of a blue swimming crab for those who haven't seen one.  Cool

Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 11:01:21 AM »

Here's a pic of a blue swimming crab for those who haven't seen one.  Cool

Hey, aren't those are the crabs we send home with the PA folks, and tell them they are MD Blues? laugh laugh

Git 'r dun!
Islander
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 11:03:34 AM »

Hey, aren't those are the crabs we send home with the PA folks, and tell them they are MD Blues? laugh laugh

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 11:06:31 AM »

Pretty little things ... ain't they .. Smiley

Live To Crab And Crab To Live !!!!
Islander
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 11:11:27 AM »

Pretty little things ... ain't they .. Smiley

Actually other then the color and the size of their claws, I don't see much difference.  Undecided

crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 11:21:51 AM »

They do look a lot alike ................. probably good eating too . Grin

Live To Crab And Crab To Live !!!!
Domino

Incredible Hawk

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 12:09:10 PM »

Can they survive polluted water better?  Let's bring them over...can you say "Zebra Mussel"?   laugh laugh
Islander
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 12:31:51 PM »

Can they survive polluted water better? Let's bring them over...can you say "Zebra Mussel"? laugh laugh

I wouldn't want them in the Bay, but I would try one steamed if I got the chance!  Grin

long green crabber
In Memoriam 12/2011
Lifetime Member

crabbin` cruiser

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 01:36:34 PM »

sounds like a road trip to 'down under' mate. anyone got the regs. or fees?   Grin   lgc
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 08:19:17 PM »

I wouldn't mind trying a doz of those.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Stevo
Lifetime Member

It's all fun and games 'til someone gets steamed!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 10:16:15 PM »

sounds like a road trip to 'down under' mate. anyone got the regs. or fees?   Grin   lgc

Paul, please, Don't give Kingcrapper any new idea's  Grin Grin Grin Grin laugh

This website is member-supported. Please help by becoming a Supporting Member today!
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2006, 11:19:18 PM »

Most of those crabs are being produced in Indonesia and SE Asia, after the Sunami their fishing fleets were rebuilt with more modern gear,that and no Regs on crabbing hopfully they will collapse the crab fishery in a yr or 2, then maybe our domestic crab meat will be worth something again

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
fastswimmerCT

don't blame me, I voted for the old guy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 11:13:57 PM »

I was messing around fishing in the Dominican over the winter, with the equivalent of a shiner in about 18 inches of water just off the beach.  Long story short I caught a small blue swimming crab.  It was like seeing an old friend.  It was not as agile as our bug. 
Pinchy

Instructions: Hunt, fish, crab - rinse and repeat.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2007, 03:08:39 PM »

This crab is in Family Portunidae, Genus & Species Portunus pelagicus. It tastes similar to our Maryland blue crab (same Family) but the flavor is not as intense or as sweet. Sometimes the Asian buffets around Philadelphia serve them fried in a light batter. They are good but not great IMO. They also serve "stone crab claws" in ginger and scallion sauce, but they are actually Jonah crabs and are very good.

Please pack your trash out, pick up others', and leave your fishing spot cleaner than when you found it.
genecrabman

OBX CRABS @ HALF-FAST SEAFOOD 252 202 6469

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2007, 09:05:35 PM »

I wonder what bait catches the best, Chicken Necks or Kangaroo
madcrabber1113

http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?action=dl

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2007, 09:09:32 PM »

I recently placed an order for crab cakes from Chesapeake Bay Gourmet. QVC sells a lot of these crab cakes and they look great on the tube but while they are advertised as "Chesapeake" Jumbo Lump Crab Meat, I was perplexed to find "blue swimming crab" listed as one of the ingredients when I researched the product online. Research into this species reveals a somewhat small, spindly-looking creature native to Australia that doesn't look like it would have much meat on it. Not to mention: it looks nothing like a Maryland Blue crab.
I was born and raised in Maryland, but now live up north in New Hampshire. My memories center on family outtings to the local crab shacks of the Delmarva area and the great, authentic, sweet taste of the Maryland Blue Crab. I understand how threatened the native Maryland blue crab population is, owing to over fishing and pollution. I'm also aware that food vendors increasingly are resorting to including other crab meats in their products and calling them Maryland Blue crab. Is this wrong? I haven't received my order from QVC yet - wondering if I should just cancel and be content to get my Blue crabs only once or twice a year when I'm in the area visiting family. Appreciative of any informative reply.
Susan P. (dying for Maryland Blues in Milford, NH).  Undecided
try www.lintonsseafood.com
cullenw08

I call the Wicomico home

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 11:11:03 PM »

I wonder what bait catches the best, Chicken Necks or Kangaroo

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

A bad day crabbing is better than a good day working
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 01:52:44 AM »

ostrich necks.  laugh laugh laugh laugh

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
masspi

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 06:45:33 AM »

Hey Marylander

It is but a 2 hour drive for you to get to Southcoast Massachusetts to get your own Blue Crab.  A nice weekend trip, lots of cheap hotels this time of year. I will send you some maps so you can find your way

Masspi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home