September 16, 2014, 07:23:44 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: crab trap building supplies  (Read 4746 times)
pafree
Supporting Member

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2013, 12:18:44 AM »

i have found lots of online supplies but with the shipping then i might as well buy store bought box traps.  is there any place around Houston that sells mesh for a price that would make it worth building instead of buying already made? or is it going to build a trap with better quality stuff so it last longer?
Night Wing

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 07:21:54 AM »

I've built a few crab traps. I get my 1"x1"x48" galvanized metal from my local feed store. By doing it this way, I can build a few custom 13"x13"x13" traps (with stainless frames) since most traps from Captain Bruce or Captain Moose build the standard 10.5"x10.5"x10.5" and/or 12"x12"x12" crab traps..

I haven't built a crab trap in many years though.

I don't build the usual black vinyl covered crab box (pot) because I live 90 miles from Galveston so I can't do the "soak them for a few days" routine.

Kayak: Ocean Kayak "Scupper Pro TW". Length: 14' 9". Width: 26". Weight: 55#
BJ1fish

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 03:00:43 PM »

American Fence and Supply
They have locations in League City (on I 45 southbound side) and in Galveston on Harborside.
CraigFos

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 08:29:58 PM »

You can get the floats, bungie chord, escape rings, etc at San Leon Marine in San Leon. It's on the corner of FM517 and 22nd Street. They have the wire too, but American Fence was cheaper. 

Craig
Life's a beach and then it erodes.
pafree
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 02:35:47 AM »

i am wanting to build about 10 traps.  i figured store bought ones are around $40 each which i get from pricing and the two i already have which would give me 12 traps (6 for me and 6 for the wife or my son (14yo) who goes with me most of the time. 

when i build them do i need parlors for texas traps? not using parlors would give more mesh to make more traps.   i have researched funnels vs. gates and seen videos but i think long fingers covering the holes would work better than a mesh gate they where getting hung up in.

i am not tring to reinvent the wheel but ya'll fish/crab the same waters i will be and that is why i ask ya'll these questions.
CraigFos

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 10:24:39 AM »

You will catch more crabs with two chambers.  I've used both, and the two chambers retain the crabs better. 

If you try the fingers, let me know how well they works.

Craig
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 11:31:37 AM »

Stick with MD Style pots..  They have been virtually unchanged for hundreds of years..  Doubt you could improve the design... Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
BJ1fish

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 07:59:12 PM »

Stick with MD Style pots..  They have been virtually unchanged for hundreds of years..  Doubt you could improve the design... Cool
Do you mean Louisiana style traps? Two chambers and funnels?
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 08:57:31 AM »

Do you mean Louisiana style traps? Two chambers and funnels?
Grin  Louisiana hadn't even been discovered when Bay waterman started using them.  Wink Grin

hightop

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 09:24:34 AM »

Grin  Louisiana hadn't even been discovered when Bay waterman started using them.  Wink Grin
Actually, pots weren't invented until the 1920's or so, and were developed and patented by a Virginian from around Reedville, I believe.
pafree
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 03:41:44 PM »

the wife being from New Jersey and spending summers in Seaside Heights and Wildwood says that the two chamber traps/pots are what they used.  i was born in Houston but us meeting is a long story.

i am thinking about getting a little mesh from tractor supply and do a trial run on building before i commit to buying a large roll like from American fence or ordering online.  TS has coated chicken/hex wire but it is 1 inch.  most crab traps "how to's"  i have found online use 1.5 inch but TS also has 1x1 cage wire that i think i will build the cage out of and then use the 1" coated  hex for the funnels.  still working on the gate ideal but i have nothing set in stone but i have ideals.

next question:  to zinc or not to zinc.  when we go a summer fishing trip, it possible to have a trap/pot in and out of the water for up to a week.  i have researched that coated wire cage don't need them but do they?  i have found in my research about GAW and GBW wire and wondered if that helps with my choice to zinc or not?

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 03:49:54 PM by pafree » Logged
CraigFos

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 07:28:11 PM »

I don't use zinc and have not had any problems with rusting.  I've got three traps that have been in the water for the most part of the last year with out a spot of rust.  Now, the un-coated wire doesn't do to well.

Craig
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 07:52:34 PM »

Crab pot wire is not chicken wire..  Pot wire is galvanized "after" it's twisted.  Chicken wire is just plain galvanized wire.  Zinc's are needed on galvanized pots or vinyl pots that are braced.   Cool

BJ1fish

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 08:01:50 PM »

Crab pot wire is not chicken wire..  Pot wire is galvanized "after" it's twisted.  Chicken wire is just plain galvanized wire.  Zinc's are needed on galvanized pots or vinyl pots that are braced.   Cool
Jack what do you mean by braced?
Ron
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 04:35:37 PM »

laugh

6th Annual Assault on Patcong Creek
June 27, 2015
Somers Point, NJ

http://www.assaultonpatcongcreek.com
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 06:24:43 PM »

Jack what do you mean by braced?
Bracing wire is placed around pots to stiffen them and help protect them from being bent.  Important on peeler pots.  On hard crab pots zinc's protect the bracing wire but do little for the pot wire.  Unless you use a torch to melt some of the vinyl so that the zinc is in contact with the pot wire.

Night Wing

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 08:38:56 AM »

Nice photos and explanation. Thanks for sharing your info.

Kayak: Ocean Kayak "Scupper Pro TW". Length: 14' 9". Width: 26". Weight: 55#
BJ1fish

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 01:30:39 PM »

Now I understand why you would use anodes on the traps. I have never noticed anyone using bracing wire down here. Is there a certain time of the year to use peeler pots? I never heard of peeler pots being used down here also. Thanks for all the information.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home