September 01, 2014, 07:27:45 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: crustacean taxidermy  (Read 3567 times)
Archetheuthis

« on: January 21, 2006, 08:25:58 AM »

One of the members asked me the best way to preserve crustaceans:
well here is what I offered him privately as a response and he urged me to post it also here:

The most common way we preserve crabs which are of small to medium size (excluding the King Crabs etc...) is to simply leave them for a few days to weeks (depending on the size) in a formaldehyde solution and then take them out and dry them in position we like. Some crabs need some extra touches of help to remain in position such as reinforcing the joints etc... .
It works quite well. Almost all our Philippine crabs have been processed this way and also our Lopholithodes from Canada (although we first extracted the meat out of the carapace as it is a heavy crab).

For any further details, please contact me privately at www.naturalart.be at yves@naturalart.be

All the best

Yves

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 08:45:29 AM »

Thanks for the info but where do you get FORMALDEHYED HuhHuhHuh?

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Archetheuthis

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 08:53:13 AM »

Dear,

I think that your local pharmacist, drugsture or hardware store should be able to provide you with formaldehyde.
It has a nasty smell and longtime contact with the skin should be avoided.
The FDA and other worldwide authorities classify the substance as low cancerogene by prolongued inhalation (exp. years of working with the stuff 8 hours per day). In general it has no harmful affects. Museums use it all the time to preserve soft tissue specimens.
It comes in different concentrations, you just need to dilude it down to about 10-12%.

All the best

Yves
yves@naturalart.be

visit the website: www.naturalart.be
for fast ordering, contact us at yves@naturalart.be

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 09:04:43 AM »

Are you sure that is legal to by Huh??don't they use that stuff to embalm people with Huh??

Archetheuthis

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 09:07:54 AM »

Dear,

The product is completely legal to buy. I just offered you the info as provided by FDA, but in the worst of all cases scenario.
We use it on a regular basis always in a well ventilated area.
You don't need to worry while using this product for your safety but you should read the safety instructions delivered with the product.

It is a world wide commonly used substance, and yes indeed I believe they used to (or still do) use it for embalming in general.

All the best

Yves
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 09:09:40 AM »

THANKS.

captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 09:29:15 AM »

Are you sure that is legal to by Huh??don't they use that stuff to embalm people with Huh??
Just do a search on Google or Yahoo.... Smiley  You can get it delivered to your door...   Smiley

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 11:24:31 AM »

It used to be difficult to buy as it was a regulated substance. I have purchased it at a biological supply house; I have references I can rely on. I don't know if John Q citizen could have bought it then. Maybe they have relaxed the regulations since then? Seems like today, with the net, you can get anything you want with a valid credit card! Formaldehyde is full strength. Dilute with water to a 8 - 10% formalin solution. This is what I use for reptile (1:9) and amphibian (1:12) preservation. I carry a quart of this in my car for road kill specimens if they are scientifically valuable and not too mangled! I also use hypodermic needles to inject the formalin into the major muscle groups and organs. The formalin does not penetrate tissues too deep and without the injection the organs will rot. Sad
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 08:50:31 PM by bogman102 » Logged

Retired in paradise!
Archetheuthis

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 11:26:51 AM »

Dear Bogman and all,

I forgot to mention this but this is useful for crabs aswell: inject some of the solution in the animal with a suringe in the joints.

For any further details, please contact me privately at www.naturalart.be at yves@naturalart.be

All the best

Yves
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 12:11:36 PM »

formalin is a little carinogenic too.  has anyone used grain alcohol or rubbing alcohol?  or if someone experiments on it and gets back to this forum

Archetheuthis

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 12:18:15 PM »

Dear procrabber and all,

I have used grain alcohol and rubbing alcohol in the past to preserve crustacean but it is only useful if you keep them that way in a jar like in museum collection. if on the otherhand you wish to dry them, I would restrict myself to the small ones (carapace width less than 2''). Anything larger to prepare will be devastating for the specimen, it'll remain soft and will not harden out the limbs, so positioning will be tough.
We only used the method with grain alcohol in small specimens with good BUT with decolorating effects, which you have much less in the first method of simply keeping the specimens for a few days in formaldehyde solution.

All the best

Yves
Muslickz

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 12:23:35 PM »

I understand the implications of using embalming fluid as a preservative, BUT the people around my old neighborhood used it in a terribly different fashion.. As not to get into it.. let's just say "Don't let the kids get a hold of it".

Signed..

-Sherm.

lol, I mean

-Mus

FCSF-Florida Crabbing & Shrimping Forums
http://FLACRAB.COM
captaincrab55
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 12:32:18 PM »

formalin is a little carinogenic too.  has anyone used grain alcohol or rubbing alcohol?  or if someone experiments on it and gets back to this forum
So is Gasoline, epoxy, sunshine, etc.    Will that stop anyone from going to the Funeral Home to say goodbye?

Supporter and Lifetime Member
2B1ask1

TRUST ME !!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home