April 25, 2014, 05:20:55 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: freezing picked crab meat  (Read 17189 times)
woolybugger

Ignore
« on: October 14, 2003, 08:29:05 AM »

I have a question about freezing crab meat or crab soup.  I would like to make one more run this year to stock pile some crab meat for my wife to make crab soup.  What can I do to prevent the crab meat from getting mushy after being frozen?  Is it better to make the soup and then freeze it?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 06:04:58 PM »

Woolybugger, you can freeze cooked, picked crabmeat to use in soups, but it doesn't work well with freezin' crabmeat that you intend to later make into crabcakes as it won't bind properly. If you want the crabmeat for crabcakes, make the cakes first, then freeze 'em.  The secret with freezin' crabmeat for soups is to get as much air out of the package as possible to keep the crabmeat from dryin' out or gettin' freezer burnt.  We have a vacuum sealer which is just the ticket, not only with freezin' crabmeat for soup, but also for freezin' whole homemade crabcakes.  I think we paid around $130.00 for the vacuum sealing unit.  Couple of hints; for bulk, cooked, picked crabmeat, put enough crabmeat in each plastic bag for each pot of soup.  For crabcakes, form each crabcake as you like, put 6-8 on a cookie sheet covered with plastic wrap and into the freezer until frozen (2-3 hours).  Remove from freezer and put into a vacuum sealer bag and seal.  Reason to freeze 'em quickly first is to end up with crabcakes instead of crab pancakes.  When the vacuum sealer sucks the air out of the bag it will flatten the crabcakes if not frozen first.  Now, what if you don't have $$$ for a vacuum sealer?  Get yourself some ziplok bags and a soda straw.  Put the crabmeat for soup or quick frozen crabcakes into the ziplok, insert the soda straw into either corner of bag and zip up to that point. Start suckin' the air out with your mouth until the bag is pretty darn flat, quickly remove the straw and zip the bag the rest of the way.  Ain't quite as good as a vacuum sealer, but pretty darn close.  Nuthin' better than homemade crabsoup or crabcakes in the dead of winter!! Enjoy!!!

Crabpop    

Severn, Md USA
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 06:09:45 PM »

Oh yeah, forgot; you can freeze crabsoup also, but be careful of quanity in each container.  Quart size is good and make sure it seals tight (put some plastic wrap over the container before puttin' on the top).  Use too large a container and it's gonna take forever to defrost.

Crabpop
« Last Edit: October 14, 2003, 06:10:22 PM by Crabpop » Logged

Severn, Md USA
woolybugger

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 08:12:10 AM »

Thanks Crabpop.  I am heading out Friday for the last time this season and hopefully I'll have some crabs to give your ideas a try.
spinfreak

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2003, 03:22:19 PM »

Sorry for the late reply, but I just read your question.
If you have a vacuum sealer, then that's the best way to freeze the crab meat.
If not, you may want to freeze it by using a brine. Some people don't like doing it this way, but I have had pretty good results, and it lasts a while until freezer burn starts.
I forget the exact amount of salt, but it is somewhere around a half teaspoon (maybe 1 full teaspoon) per quart of water. (Do a search on the net, and you should be able to find the answer.) Cook and clean your crabs. Place the meat in a container (tupperware or something like it), and pour just enough brine to cover the meat. Freeze it, and it will stay good for quite a while. Smiley
Crabbeer

Kwicherbichen and have fun, go crabbin!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 06:58:18 PM »

I have a vacuum sealer also, works great for crabmeat.  I have several pounds in the freezer for this winter.  I have made the cakes after freezing the meat and didn't have much trouble.   I made some crabcakes and then froze them using the vacuum packer.  I didn't use the freeze first then vacuum pack and ended up with the pancake.  I figure I'll just reform them when ready to cook.  Nice tip though crabpop,  I'll freeze first next time.  

Support our troops, make their home worthy of them.
cartmancop

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 08:47:41 AM »

These are all great tips.  I guess it's time for a sealer.  Of course, milk is an idea and if the milk replaced the air in the bag, there should be no problem. Smiley
Fruitland Crabber

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 07:14:52 PM »

When you make sure your first batch make sure you send me a cup  Cool
rock n crab

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 04:17:17 PM »

My wife freezes it all the time, keeps good for about three months and she has no problem making crab cakes out of it... Trick is to let it thaw on its own, do not microwave or rush the thawing process. We do not use the vaccum sealer, just good old freezer ziplocks.

20' SeaMark CC 90HP Honda
DocSmith

Proud of what I stand for; Careful what I fall for

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 04:24:28 PM »

Spin -

Basic brine is 1/4 cup salt per 1 gallon of water.

Cool Doc

The Cruelest Creature's the Crab, with Pinchers that can Cut you and Stab! And Then, when you Dine on Crab and White Wine, it's Murder when you Pick Up The Tab!
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

ITS GOOD TO BE THE KING

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 04:37:36 PM »

R N C..agree with you on the thaw ing process..however,why don't you try the straw method that CPop described Huh...beleive itor not,the meat will last up to a year like that Cool...i know from xperience...lost a couple of bags in my big freezer in the garage..pulled em out acouple months ago(wife has date we placed them in freezer)...thawed em like you said.......deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious crab cakes Grin Grin

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home