July 28, 2014, 12:11:37 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: crawl dads  (Read 8250 times)
cw4340

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2003, 02:54:03 PM »

sjgh  i want to no if them cray fish helps with them blue crab cravins  of them winter blues
Crabbyboy

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 04:33:06 PM »

i don't know, but it seems hard to be as satisfied.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 05:20:21 PM »

nope, they taste like shrimps to me

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
NJ Grasshopper

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2003, 11:43:57 PM »

Put it to ya this way: In my humble opinion,

They can't replace the "blues" we got at this time of year cause we can't get fresh "Blues" ....... but they is a great way to pass the time.

Probably only second to 'crackin' crab' is ........  'suckin head'  Shocked and drinkin brew Grin ; Eatin the crawdads  Tongue and drinkin another brew  Wink ...... if ya know what I mean.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2003, 11:45:00 PM by NJ Grasshopper » Logged
dnnythms

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2003, 04:25:23 PM »

sorry, nothing tastes like the blue

king, snow, dungenese, stone.. they all taste different
Chris Davis

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 08:11:07 PM »

Sorry but mudbugs tast nothing like shrimp. Down here in Baton Rouge we boil our blue crabs the same way we boil are crawlfish alive and very spicy.
Best spice is Loiusiana crab boil seasoning and add a little liquid crab boil. To me crawlfish are better than crabs. They just have to be cooked right and yiu have to know how to peal them Grin
DocSmith

Proud of what I stand for; Careful what I fall for

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 09:56:28 PM »

Hi Chris -

Eeeeeeee-Yah, Coon [arse]!! I can go through about 5 lbs of crawdads in no time at all, suckin' heads and pinchin' tail with the best of 'em! I use Zatarain's Crab Boil. Most of these folks up North steam their crabs and don't boil them with crawdads, shrimp, potatos ,corn, and boudin sausage like we do down here. Maybe they'll catch on! Can't wait to get over to N'awlins soon as it cools down a bit.

Cool Doc (In Gulf Breeze, FL)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 10:01:44 PM by DocSmith » Logged

The Cruelest Creature's the Crab, with Pinchers that can Cut you and Stab! And Then, when you Dine on Crab and White Wine, it's Murder when you Pick Up The Tab!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 07:29:34 PM »

You have got to be kidding.  The ONLY way to eat blues is Maryland way steamed  Wink Grin

ran_c

got crabs?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 08:44:25 PM »

You have got to be kidding.  The ONLY way to eat blues is Maryland way steamed  Wink Grin

ummmm..you know this means war...lol. boiled is the only way i eat crabs. i will try these steamed maryland crabs one day but i am in no hurry. i just ate some boiled crawfish yesterday....i love living in louisiana. boiled rules......hahahaha

if love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?
Crabslayer

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 10:18:46 AM »

Boiling crabs is like eating filet mignon with ketchup.  What an injustice!  Shocked  The only way is to steam them with silverqueen corn and small red potatoes on top.  Serve them with slices of MD tomatoes and some cold suds.  Tongue  I know MD is south of the Mason Dixson but with the southerners boiling a fine meal such as the blue crab, it's no wonder they lost.  Grin

CATCH SHARES, Nothing more than PRIVITIZING a PUBLIC RESOURCE.
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

ITS GOOD TO BE THE KING

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 12:10:16 PM »

..gotta get my two cents in Grin..here in Philly,depending on how you like 'em,different spots will have steamed(Dinardo's in center city)...or some spots will have boiled(Bonk's bar in Port richmond section)....I prefer mine boiled in seasoning I order form a company in upstate NJ...spice is such that after boiling crabs for twenty minutes ;)gravy is a rich,brown color...you can actually take a cup and drink it down..now that's GOOOOD Grin...as far as the crabs go,take them out of the spiced water,leaving them upside down,tear off the backfin at the joint,and suck that juice right on down Grin ;Daaaaaaahhh Wink.then rip crabs apart,juice goin' everwhere Grin..and enjoy(don't forget your favorite flavor,Michelob Grin)

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press?
DocSmith

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 01:36:37 PM »

Right On KingCrabber!

Maryland is Southern? Heck, I consider anyone north of Montgomery, Alabama to be a Yankee! And I get nervous anytime I'm north of I-10! If livin' on the Emerald Coast with its crystal clear waters and white sandy beaches is losing, then I don't want to be a winner! Darn, I forgot, only 12 more months of crabbin'!

Cool Doc
Proud Descendent of a Confederate Soldier
Pvt Jacob Smith
28th Alabama Infantry
Confederate States of America
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 01:41:11 PM by DocSmith » Logged

The Cruelest Creature's the Crab, with Pinchers that can Cut you and Stab! And Then, when you Dine on Crab and White Wine, it's Murder when you Pick Up The Tab!
Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 01:58:48 PM »

And so the fight is on!  Choose your weapon.  Steampot Tongue or (cough) stockpot  Lips Sealed.   Grin Grin Grin

DocSmith

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 02:24:47 PM »

CrabSlayer -

Actually, I steam all my crabs now, but only after cleaning them. I don't sprinkle on any Old Bay, which I find too bitter, but I drop a bag of Zatarain's Crab Boil in the steamer with a gallon of 1/2 water, 1/2 cider vinegar, and 2 beers (one for me, one for the pot), and steam them for 30 minutes.  I do dip the crab meat in a mixture of rice wine vinegar and Old Bay, though. Thanks for the tip about the Silver Queen corn and Red Potatos - I have a guy down the highway who grows both corn and potatos (and just about everything else a Southern boy could want) down here on his farm and we buy it fresh.  He is only open for the couple of hours each day it takes for him to sell what he picked that morning - and then he closes up and you have to come back tomorrow! How fresh can you get? Would 30 minutes be enough time to cook the potatos?

Cool Doc
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 02:29:46 PM by DocSmith » Logged

kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

ITS GOOD TO BE THE KING

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2004, 02:37:01 PM »

man Doc,ya got me goin'... Grin..every week ,after crabbin',we usually stop at a roadside stand and buy fresh Jersy tomatoes(And don't anybody give me any [curd],there is NUTHIN" like a fresh Jersey tomato Grin)and a dozen ears of silver queen corn Cheesy...corn is so fresh that syrup sticks to yer figers Wink....go home,BOIL them big blues,cut tomatoes,barbeque the corn in its own husk,wash down with a six pack of yer favorite flavor Grin...man,it doesn't get any better than that Cool

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press?
Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2004, 02:38:18 PM »

Hey Doc, 30 minutes works for me all the time for both the crabs and the corn and potatoes.  Just make sure the potatoes are not big.  By the way your killing me with that hammock.  I am recovering from a heart attack and quad bypass back in Dec..  Should have spent more time relaxing rather than trying to kill myself.  Wink

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2004, 07:52:05 PM »

Doc, we pick the corn just before its cooked.  Water is boiling before we get the corn.  Tomatoes,  warm off the vine.  Now I know you guys get this stuff earlier but the ESVA is where its at. Grin

DocSmith

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2004, 09:37:08 PM »

CrabSlayer -

I lost my left kidney to the big C last February so I'm taking more time to smell the roses than I used to, too. It was detected very, very, early just by chance with no symptoms and it had not spread. Excellent prognosis - but you know how that goes.  You are all right, there is nothing better than fresh produce to go with your crabs, no matter where you live!

Cool Doc

PS I heard of one guy who took a propane cooker and pot out into his cornfield and bent the cornstalks down into the boiling water before he cut the ears off! Can't get fresher than that!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 09:41:28 PM by DocSmith » Logged

Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 12:14:10 PM »

Just like the mustard of a crab, that's where all of the flavor is.  Have a friend from Spain who even sucks out fish heads and eats them damned eye balls.  Tongue

Hey Doc if it don't kill us just makes us stronger.  Best of luck to ya!

DocSmith

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2004, 08:33:56 AM »

Kristie -

Yep! You twist the tail off, throw your head back, put the open end of the head (body, really) in your mouth, squeeze it, and suck all the hot spicy juices out with a loud slurping sound!! This is called "Sucking Head". Then you take the tail, hold on to the meaty part with your front teeth (if you have them), pinch hard at the base of the tailfin and pull. If you do it right, the entire tailmeat section comes out in one piece. This is called "Pinching Tail".  It's a real hoot to watch the expression on a newbie's  face the first time they go to a Crawfish Boil and hear these phrases tossed around.

Cool Doc

PS Ever do an Oyster Shooter?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 09:11:30 AM by DocSmith » Logged

DocSmith

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2004, 09:23:51 AM »

Kristie -

It's a shot glass with vodka, a raw oyster, and a dash of Tabasco Sauce. You just toss it back! If you're eating raw oysters (I do) then you shouldn't worry too much about "Sucking Head"!

Cool Doc

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2004, 06:21:57 PM »

yum oysters, hold the vodka

Steve
Steve Zinski
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2004, 08:03:58 PM »

I like my raw oysters with cocktail sauce.  Cool

Had some Texas Gulf oysters on the half shell last Friday night... yum!!  Grin

This forum is a member-supported public resource. Please help by becoming a Supporting Member today.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2004, 08:57:50 AM »

Whats that? Wink

Crabslayer

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2004, 09:04:52 AM »

Eat oysters love a waterman!  Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home