April 24, 2014, 10:24:00 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CRABBING THE DELAWARE RIVER  (Read 1831 times)
snozeuloze

« on: May 25, 2006, 12:52:50 PM »

CAN YOU REALLY CRAB TEH DELAWARE RIVER AND HOW FAR DOWN DO I HAVE TO GO? ALSO HOW LATE INT HE SEASON WOULD YOU START?
fred

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 02:10:10 PM »

you can catch crabs in the delaware river in PA if we have a dry enough summer.  I've caught them in prospect park before.  I'm talking bushels, not dozens.

sometimes when i flyfish the lambertville/new hope area in new jersey in the early fall i see them in the river all the way up there.

craboholic

I got crabs!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 02:44:14 PM »

Fred,
You've caught bushels in Prospect Park???  I keep getting tempted to throw pots in the creeks in Eddystone just for fun-but I could never bring myself to eat them!

Did they taste ok?  I have a friend who's motto is "if they can live in the water, I can eat them", but I just can't imagine eating them anywhere in that area. Just seems like way too much poison!

snozeuloze- you should try back where the old ponderosa was and back where Heinz wildlife is-maybe there are some there?? 
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

ITS GOOD TO BE THE KING

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 02:46:27 PM »

Hey guys...they're seeing crabs as far north in the Delaware up to Acadamy road in Northeast Philly...that is 30 miles north of Prospect Park Cheesy(My Mom still lives in Morton)  Wink Cheesy

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press?
PHILLY JOE
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 09:15:10 PM »

When we had a drought in the mid 90's I caught crabs at the Tacony Palmyra bridge. There was also an article in the Bucks County paper about a guy who was using crab pots and getting over 40 crabs when he had a pot check. I don't remember how many pots he had. The next year the PA fishing book had size limits and quantity in the regs. Haven't heard about if anyone is still getting them in the river or where.

ReelQuick

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 09:16:31 PM »

I have always wanted to try.I have seen them years ago in Darby creek!That is all fresh water.Heard that if ya go to one of those all ya can eat places,thats were there gitting them.A little south of CB bridge.Don't know how true that is.I`ll be the first to try one.Sign me up

Don`t dry your hand`s on the cat.Seemed like a good idea at the time!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 11:58:55 PM »

I have gaught them up by the navy yard.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
ReelQuick

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 03:26:13 PM »

How long ago?

kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

ITS GOOD TO BE THE KING

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 03:35:28 PM »

RQ...as far as the Delaware is concerned,the river is still too cold...and there has been too much rain lately  Undecided the time to catch them is when the summer months come,the rain slackens up,and the saltwater line moves up into the Delaware...the reports that I got from the Marina off Linden ave(State rd)...was from last august(sorry if that was misconstrued Undecided)....the fact that they were getting crabs at all that far north in the river was due to the fact that the river has been cleaned up quite a bit over the past 20 years or so.....some of the ol timers i talked to remembered days in the 1950,s when fishing,crabs were so plentiful that they were eating their bait  Shocked...so to see crabs that far north again was good news  Smiley in addition,with the oil spill last year,and all the unaccounted fro oil at the bottom of the river,who knows?...maybe we wont see crabs again for another 20 years  Cry Cry
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 03:38:31 PM by kingcrabber » Logged

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press?
ReelQuick

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 03:57:50 PM »

The striper's came up this year,got a couple of very nice one`s.All were released.I`m heading to the D Bay this weekend as I did last,worked on the boat.Tossed a couple of topless and each one had 3 horseshoe crabs in them.Soon, my Friend soon.Can`t wait for the Dividing creek report to come back.

kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

ITS GOOD TO BE THE KING

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 04:10:09 PM »

RQ...crabbed all around that area for 25 years or do...Dividing Creek,Beaver Dam etc.... Cool you can call the guys at Dividing Creek ..www.dividingcreek.com.... they're decent folk..if the crabs are biting in the shallow waters,they will be honest and give you good advice...conversely,if the crabs are not there yet,they will tell you that also... Smiley Rick

tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 12:14:41 AM »

I think the guys name is STUMPY.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home