July 30, 2014, 03:00:46 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone crabbing Mobile Bay?  (Read 5895 times)
gatorbait

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2006, 02:24:05 AM »

Is anyone crabbing around Mobile Bay in Alabama?  I picked up some nets and taking the yak out this Tuesday to spend the day crabbing and fishing.  Fishing reports give a good report of flounder, trout and redfish.  Was wondering how the crabbing was going? 
ka4mge

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 11:44:46 AM »

Wife and I went last night on Causeway with only 2 baskets... wind was high not much luck. Going to try this afternoon farther south. We are new to this but have a good time trying... could really use some pointers.
Rick
gatorbait

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 11:25:20 PM »

Hope you had good luck this afternoon k4mge.  I'll be out there Tuesday off the southside of the causeway in the yak.  This last time I was out I noticed some folks having pretty good luck on the causeway around the battleship area.  Especially under the bridge right in front of the ship.
I try to use menhadden as bait instead of chicken.  The local wal mart sells it in the bait section.  The crabs seem to go for that more than the chicken necks.  Must be the oils. 
Good luck and keep crabbing. 
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

ITS GOOD TO BE THE KING

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 07:26:44 AM »

Hope you had good luck this afternoon k4mge.  I'll be out there Tuesday off the southside of the causeway in the yak.  This last time I was out I noticed some folks having pretty good luck on the causeway around the battleship area.  Especially under the bridge right in front of the ship.
I try to use menhadden as bait instead of chicken.  The local wal mart sells it in the bait section.  The crabs seem to go for that more than the chicken necks.  Must be the oils. 
Good luck and keep crabbing. 

Hey Gator...you're local Wal-mart sells Bunker(menhadden) and other baits?... Shocked..up this way,you can only find that stuff at bait-n-tackle shops.. Wink Smiley

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press?
Ray R.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 05:55:26 PM »

Hey Gator...you're local Wal-mart sells Bunker(menhadden) and other baits?... Shocked..up this way,you can only find that stuff at bait-n-tackle shops.. Wink Smiley

I wonder if that is also true for Florida ?  I'll have to check that one out !

Thank's Kingcrabber

Ray R.

SMILE .. BE .. HAPPY .. GO .. CRABBING .. AND .. THINK .. OF .. ME ..!!
DocSmith

Proud of what I stand for; Careful what I fall for

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 06:01:33 PM »

Yep!  Wal-Mart has bunker in the "Fresh Fish" section, right next to the auto batteries.

Doc sunny

The Cruelest Creature's the Crab, with Pinchers that can Cut you and Stab! And Then, when you Dine on Crab and White Wine, it's Murder when you Pick Up The Tab!
gatorbait

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2006, 03:41:40 AM »

The one here sells menhadden but it's frozen.  Shrimp, cigar minnows, squid are all in the sporting goods section of our Wal-mart.  They also sell live worms and crickets for freshwater.  Academy here sells cigar minnows, squid, ballyhoo and shrimp.  All frozen. 
gatorbait

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 08:18:55 AM »

Not much luck with the crabs in the Bay on Tuesday.  Only had a dozen keepers all day long.  The fishing was alot better.  Alot of what I was catching were small crabs.  Any ideas on using croaker as bait?  I caught a good mess of those and was thinking of using some for bait this weekend in the nets. 
ka4mge

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 09:09:53 AM »

Been using chicken backs since Friday 6-23. Went to check the basket last night and only had 1 (but nice). Think I will go over this morning and rebait with Poggie. Usually get mine at Shirley's Bait Shop near the Battleship. We only have one basket sice we are new to this but I think the doors are open too wide and they are getting back out.
Ricky Barnes - KA4MGE
gatorbait

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 07:29:49 PM »

I haven't tried Shirleys Bait Shop out yet.  I'll have to check into it.  I went out yesterday and rigged 4 crab lines off the yak.  Came back with half a dozen nice crabs off the handlines and caught 3 on my rod and reel.   laugh  But a nice day overall.  9 crabs, 25 plus ground mullet, 1 16 inch flounder and a sheepshead.  Now to handle the sunburn. 
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 11:02:46 PM »

That was a nice day,i have been catching a lot of ground mullet this yr in my pots over here,more than normal

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
gatorbait

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 04:10:45 AM »

Good day for Mobile Bay.  I had 4 handlines hanging off the yak and came back with 16 crabs.  I was at Dog River Bridge.  The fish were biting also.  Got 14 trout overall.  Didn't hit the limit of 10 specks, but made up for it with sand trout and got some excellent redfish. 
Work the bridge pilings around Dog River Bridge and you'll catch some nice crabs!!!!!!!!!!!  The funny part is when I pull them up, they don't want to let go!   laugh  Big and blue.  One of the best days I've had in along time. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home