July 29, 2014, 12:46:54 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kill Devil Hills crabbing  (Read 3614 times)
Finster

Even a blind man knows when the sun is shinin'

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2006, 12:41:23 PM »

heading to OBX last week of July for my first time ever. Staying somewhere in Kill Devil Hills.
Can anyone offer suggestions on places to go crabbing.
Also, need info on regs (i.e. min. size, creel limits or any other pertinent info).

thanks in advance
Finster
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 01:09:06 PM »

Try down at the ltttle bridge on the causeway heading over to manteo.  A lot of current there though.  good spot for early morning speckled trout and croaker.
There is a a gazebo just prior to this little bridge by tale of the whale resturant that is public and is OK.  Also try going back on colllington rd which runs directly behind the Wright memorial and follow back a couple of miles
go over the first bridge then go over the second bridge pull over to the right as soon as you cross the second bridge .  tere is a parking spot and a wooden bulk head tthat you can crab off of.  I caught 40 crabs there with 6 traps.  they were small a lot of 4 1/2 inchers, but I did catch on the last pull 3 keepers 5 1/2 to 6 inches.  nothing big, but it was fun to crab.  I was down for 2 weeks from memorial day through june 10th.  I hear that if you are willing to drive then go across the cause way to ronoake Island go through manteo and back onto the mainland.  follow rt 264 or 268 ( check a map ) and it will take you to lake mattamuskeet.  That is were the big crabs are. It is about an hour and half drive from KDH.  But worth the drive form what I heard form the locals down there.  regardless have a good time and enjoy OBX.. I am still in withdrawl two weeks after getting back...

.......Crabdog

MD / PA Line
nanjemoycat

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 02:52:32 PM »

I've done fairly decent on the causeway bridge with the metal drop rings and a 6oz wieght in the middle.  You'll need long lines from the bridge and the current rips at times.  Last year in june I caught 4 doz in 2 hrs with 1 ring.  Tried this year in may and caught nothing.  Have a great time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home