July 30, 2014, 11:18:20 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nanjemoy Creek  (Read 1643 times)
ost2020

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2006, 05:00:13 PM »

1st time crabber here.  We fish all of the time on the Nanjemoy Creek and are planning on trying crabbing this weekend.  Any pointers for a 1st timer(depth, length of soak, etc)?  I would also love to know any good spots on the Nanjemoy, maybe over near Blossom Point? THANKS.
nanjemoycat

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 09:52:43 PM »

Crabs in "my" creek seem to be far a few between right now, and whats there are good sized but poor.  Most seemed to be crabbing on the first flat out from Friendship.  Had a buddy that ran 1200' monday, 7 am till 3 pm and just filled a basket.
ost2020

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 08:16:57 AM »

Thanks Cat.  We live in Welcome across from Friendship and launch there.  Have you ever tried over near the mouth of the creek?  We were out fishing on the 4th and there were tons of crabbers out and they seemed to be bringing in a decent amount.
MD17Crabber

Nothing Like A Wye Sunrise..

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 10:42:19 AM »

Good Luck

mmm Mumbos
crab_clam

You can't catch 'em from home!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 11:24:13 AM »

Do they still have a contamination warning for the water at friendship landing?

The below is from somd.com in June.

Charles Officials Warn of Unsafe Water at Recreation Areas
Posted on June 22, 2006:
The Charles County Department of Health Division of Environmental Health Services today issued an advisory that warns the public to avoid contact with the water around the following areas:

- Friendship Landing at Nanjemoy Creek
- Sweden Point boat ramp

According to officials, stream samples taken on June 20, 2006, to test for bacteria in this area exceeded the maximum contaminant level for recreational use. Additional sampling will be conducted to test the water quality.

For more information, you contact the Charles County Department of Health Environmental Health Services Division at 301-609-6751

JP
ost2020

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 01:39:50 PM »

sweet, that's news to me.  there was a full house at the parking lot of the ramp last weekend and on the 4th and I didnt see anything posted there.
crab_clam

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 02:15:31 PM »

Just be careful eating them.

good luck,

JP

JP
nanjemoycat

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 09:53:04 PM »

The way I read it  in the paper, it was just in the immediate area around the landing, and it has been lifted.  There are no treatment plants in the water shed, so where it came from is a mystery.  The blame stated was run-off, but we've been spared the heavy rains.
crab_clam

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 10:29:08 AM »

Cat,

you might want to read this again. It is posted from  7-11-06 on somd.com. I think this stems from the Blueplains spill about three months ago.

Posted on July 11, 2006:
The Charles County Department of Health Division of Environmental Health Services today issued an advisory warning the public to avoid contact with the water around the following areas:

- Friendship Landing at Nanjemoy Creek, Nanjemoy;
- Sweden Point boat ramp, Marbury;
- Shymansky’s boat ramp, Cobb Island;
- River Road on the Wicomico River, Newburg;
- and Swan Point Marina, Issue.

Stream samples taken on July 5, 2006 to test for bacteria in this area exceeded the maximum contaminant level for recreational use. Additional sampling will be conducted to test the water quality.

For more information, you can contact the Charles County Department of Health Environmental Health Services Division at 301-609-6751, or go to the Health Department’s Alerts page at http://www.charlescountyhealth.org/Alerts/Alerts.htm

JP
makoman238

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 02:45:24 PM »

I crabbed Nanjemoy last weekend and I will not go back until the water cleans up.  Water was so dirty you couldn't see the crabs until they were at the prop stick.  There were a lot of crabbers on the water at noon. Even the comm guys were still on the water which tells me that they were having to work hard for their catch.
nanjemoycat

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 09:16:25 AM »

I talked to 2 other comms on Saturday, 1 had 4 baskets the other had 2.  I layed out in a bad spot because the recs had most everything sewed up, my fault, you snooze you lose.  It took me 5 hrs, running 2000' to fill a basket, large crabs, but so poor you could read a newspaper thru them.  Maybe a 1/2 doz of good hard crabs in the whole basket.  I won't sell junk so I ate them myself.  As of yesterday, the water was still stirred up.  Those that catch seem to be doing so on a strong incoming tide.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 03:59:03 PM »

GOOD luck, have a safe and a great day.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home