October 31, 2014, 03:37:45 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make crab traps?  (Read 10200 times)
cutter

« on: March 07, 2004, 06:59:35 PM »

I had about 10 metal crab traps that i used last year and they are all rusty and banged up. I would like to get some more but im looking at them and they seem easy to make. I dont like the 4 sides ones, I like the 2 door/sided ones. They dont foul up as easy as the 4 sided ones and the triangle ones. I seen how to make crab pots but looks like it would be easier to spend $17 for them then $10 on material to make it. Any info on the traps would help. Thanks!
Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 07:32:32 PM »

Cutter, there are a couple of people on this forum that are in the business of building/selling crab traps.  I have no idea where they get the material (hardware cloth) for the trap itself.  They are held together with hogrings, so hogrings and hogring pliers can be had at any hardware store (Loews, Home Depot) or farm supply store.  The following link is to a mailorder company in Lewes, Delaware that sells a variety of crab traps:

http://www.billssportshop.com/nets/nets1.html

Crabpop

Severn, Md USA
kevin

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 10:28:39 AM »

Cutter,
  Hello, I build crab traps and pots and sell them to anyone at wholesale prices.  If you can probably think of it, I could make it or have it.  If you are interested in wire and hog rings I have that too.  I am in Northern MD (Harford county).  You can reach me via email at kcrabpots@aol.com  I also attend shows through MD during the spring, contact me for locations if interested. Depending on where you are, we could arrange a pickup or shipment.
  However if you are closer to NYC, there is another person on this board that would be able to help you, however off the top of my head the name isn't coming to me.

Good Luck,

Kevin
TRAPMAN

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 09:42:48 PM »

hi cutter where are you from im in long island and might be able to help you
cutter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 05:17:35 AM »

Im from PA. I love the big crab pots, but im looking for a small 10-12ft boat to use for crabbing only, and its a little to small to take out 5-10 of those big black crab pots. Maybe someone could make be a smaller version of the crab pot? That way me and my g/f can lug out a bunch with us instead of only 2 of the really big ones. They dont have to be perfect, as long as they work.

Thanks, mr2nonturbo@hotmail.com
kcrabpots

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 10:40:09 AM »

Cutter,
   I have made several size crab pots over the years.  The smallest I have ever had any requests were for crab pots that were 24"x24" base and only 12" tall.  They came with 3 funnels and a big door to get the crabs out, plastic hook, bait box, bait box lid, 2 cull rings and stainless steel hog rings.  I believe I charged $12 ea for them

This type of crab pot is usually seen down at the beach.

Were are you crabbing sure its legal to put 5-10 out w/o commercial license, just a thought??
kevin
crabincrazy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 02:16:51 PM »

Aren't the crab pots illegal to use in Maryland unless you have a commercial or property on the water?
kcrabpots

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 02:43:37 PM »

Yes in MD it is illegal to use crab "pots" unless you own waterfront property in which case you can use two crab pots, while in certain counties like AA, Calvert, St. Mary's and others you can use up to four off your pier.
If you don't have waterfront the only other way to use crab "pots" is to have a commercial license.
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 06:10:52 PM »

HERES ANOTHER LINK TO THE EVER POPULAR
BLUE CRAB ARCHIVES CRAB POT METHOD

http://www.blue-crab.org/crabpot/index.html

FOR 20 BUCKS AT BOATERS WORLD OR OTHER PLACES I SAVE A WHOLE LOT OF TIME AND CUT FINGERS.

BUT HEY IF YOURE THE DIY KIND OF GUY (GAL) MORE POWER TO YA
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 06:13:51 PM by CRABGUY » Logged
crabmania

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2004, 10:29:12 AM »

After waking this morning and spending time with my wife over a cup of coffee and a little grandbaby I decided to browse on anything to do with crabbing again I am highly addicted to crabbing it's my exscape from the week of work.  I would really like to build or at least give it a try to build my own then possibly sell them we live in bremerton Washington where crab is plentifull.  Is it profitable ?  and how would I get the word out that we are selling pots..  Thanks for any and all feed back.......
Chris Lucier

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 04:52:43 PM »

let me know if you haven't found plans yet.  I downloaded some last week and will send you the link if you're still interested.  Contact me at my email address, clucier@stetson.edu, and I'll forward it to you and to this forum.  I stumbled across this forum today.  
:-)
Chris Lucier

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 04:54:57 PM »

http://www.blue-crab.org/crabpot/index.html

lol found it right here.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home