September 28, 2020, 02:41:51 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2009 Bay Sport License Info update  (Read 24560 times)
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2009, 04:50:42 PM »

I hope this helps somone else.   This is the Email I sent in and the responce I got back.

I sent:

Brenda, sorry to bother you but I have a question I hope you can help me out with.  I recently purchased the consolidated bay sport fishing license. The web page said you get a complimentary crabbing license and everyone is covered in the boat for crabbing.  I also called the DNR office and it was confirmed.  However, when I received my fishing license there was no mention of crabbing on either the paper or the decal.  I called the office and they said that this is normal but they may change the regulations this yr to where you will need a separate crabbing license, but since I have already received my sport license I will not need to buy one crabbing later on.  I just want to make sure that this is correct as I will be using my boat mainly for crabbing this yr.  I figured I'd put out the extra $35 just in case the kids wanted to try something different.  

Thank you so much,

Rob Ch.....

She replied:

Rob, we undoubtedly have the most complicated recreational crabbing license system in the country.  Hopefully I can answer your questions without making things more confusing.

First we will NOT be making any changes in blue crab recreational licenses this year.  There was a proposal submitted but we have pulled it out of the regulatory process so it won’t be considered this year.

Your bay sport fishing license does include a complimentary crabbing license, but it covers only the person that purchased the license.  I should take a look at what is on the website because the complimentary crabbing license has never covered everyone on the boat. NRP knows that an individual is licensed to crab w/ the decal and if you take your paperwork with you it will allow you to crab anywhere else as well, but crabbing is not specifically mentioned. 

Individuals under 16 are exempt from needing a license, so your kids could crab without purchasing additional licenses.  But, this does NOT give them the ability to harvest a bushel, they are limited to the catch as an unlicensed crabber, which, from a boat is 4 dozen (which means you could keep 1 bushel + 4 dozen).  The under 16 exemption is what allows them to assist with fishing a trot line, collapsible pots or next rings.  Unlicensed crabbers that do not have an exemption are limited to hand lines and dip nets.

No matter how many licensed crabbers you have on the boat, you can only keep 2 bushels, max.  So the least expensive option is to be sure that someone has a $5 residential recreation crabbing license – and that will get you the additional bushel. 

So, is this as clear as mud?Huh 

Since you asked about crabbing I want to make sure you are aware that we have a volunteer recreational blue crab survey. Here’s the link -  http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/survey/vasurvey.html

That will get you to all the recreational surveys so you can enter information for what ever you might be catching.  We definitely appreciate your participation.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:24:35 PM by Seanile » Logged

Crab on!
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 04:58:30 PM »

Any questions, send an email to

[email protected]

Crab on!
lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 05:30:01 PM »

Thank you for getting an "Official Response" to this much discussed topic.

I think that I might print it out and keep it on the boat in case a unknowing DNR officer should question me. 

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 06:17:18 PM »

No prob.  I did speak with one lady on the phone and one by email and both said the exact same thing.  This was my first time dealing with the DNR and I must say I was really impressed.  Both were extremely nice and very helpful.  I ordered my stickers on Friday around 3pm and couldn't belive that there were in the mailbox Monday morning.   thumbsup

Crab on!
Weber

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 09:27:32 PM »

Excellent response!  That should help clear it up for some.

Hmmmnnnn.....

bluecrab

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 01:33:21 PM »

Hrrm wow I was under the impression that the complimentary crabbing license covered everyone to crab but limited you to 1 bushel.

Blue

I WILL get my boat out next year!
PHILLY JOE
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 07:20:24 PM »

I ordered the Bay sport license and when I logged on the DNR site to purchase, I clicked on the information link to the right of the check box and the pop up  said that the consolidated bay sport license acts as a Recreational Crabbing Boat Lic.in addition to fishing and that the owner will receive a comp. crab license also. . When I clicke d on the Recreational Crabbing Boat Lic. information link it said all people in boat are covered. Seeing that everone is covered I ordered the license. I then went to another page on the dnr  and seen a description for  the consolidated bay sport license and that page  gave this description:

Consolidated Bay Sport Boat License allows everyone on board a vessel used for pleasure to recreationally fish in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries in lieu of individual licenses. A special complimentary Chesapeake Bay sport fishing license, which includes recreational crabbing, will be issued to the boat owner purchasing this license.

This is in sharp contrast to the description given on the purchase order page. I purchased this license thinking anyone i take is covered for fishing and crabbing. My regular companions already purchase their own license for crabbing but I do  occasionally take others who go once a year and we only kept a bu. Now they have to spend $10 just to participate once.    We mostly crab so I could just have bought a crab boat license for $15 which would have covered everyone for crabbing and $15 for a fishing license. Cost me $20 extra and it doesn't do what I originally read it should do.

Not only does MD have the most complicated crab license system in the country, when you think you understand it, there is misinformation to confuse you again.

tugcapt

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 10:16:14 PM »

I don't understand.  I thought if you have a bay sport boat sticker on your boat, it cover everyone for fishing and crabbing, even trotline.

Under trotline regs, it states for recs: 

D. In the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries:

(1) Trotline gear may only be used to catch or attempt to catch crabs:

(a) For commercial purposes by an individual licensed in accordance with Natural Resources Article, §4-701, Annotated Code of Maryland; or

(b) For recreational purposes by an individual licensed in accordance with Regulation .09 of this chapter, or an individual on a boat licensed as a Chesapeake Bay sport fishing boat license;

Also the crab regs state :
The $50 CBSPBL is valid as a Recreational Crabbing Boat License. The complimentary fishing license issued to the boat owner of a licensed sportfishing boat is valid as the owner's individual recreational crabbing license.

This is a pleasure boat license that gives you a  complimentary "personal" fishing and crabbing license and when used onboard the boat covers everyone on the boat.

Gear and who can crab from boat:

From drn webpage:
Recreational Crabbing Boat License allows everyone on board a vessel to catch crabs for recreational purposes anywhere in the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries, and is in lieu of individual licenses.  The following limits on gear apply to the vessel:  (a) trotline not to exceed 1,200 feet in length (baited portion), (b) maximum 30 collapsible traps or rings, or (c) any number of handlines and dip nets.

From DNR webpage:

If the boat is licensed for recreational crabbing by either the Recreational Crabbing Boat License (new at a $15 fee) or the Chesapeake Bay Special Pleasure Boat License or at least one person in the boat possesses an individual recreational crabbing license:
1200 feet of trotline (baited portion)
Maximum 30 crab traps or rings
Handlines
Dipnets

Catch limits:

CATCH LIMITS FOR A LICENSED BOAT:
Without any persons in the licensed boat who also possess an Individual Recreational Crabbing License;
1 bushel of hard crabs
2 dozen soft crabs or peelers

Owner of the licensed boat in the boat with unlicensed crabbers;
1 bushel of hard crabs

If 2 or more licensed persons are in the licensed boat;
2 bushels of hard crabs

Summary:

1 Boat Decal (including the complimentary portable license that comes with the decal) = 1 Crabbing License
1 Boat Decal = 1 Bushel of Crabs
1 Boat Decal + 1 Additional Recreational License = 2 Bushels of Crabs
1 Boat Decal + any additional number of recreational licenses still = 2 bushels

My question, what has changed this year?  I already got my license and didn't see any change.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 10:37:23 PM by tugcapt » Logged

Honorary Chesapeake Spudman
lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 10:39:46 PM »

My question, what has changed this year?  I already got my license and didn't see any change.

I thought it was made perfectly clear in Brenda's response, I'll underline the key sentence.

I hope this helps somone else.   This is the Email I sent in and the responce I got back.

I sent:

Brenda, sorry to bother you but I have a question I hope you can help me out with.  I recently purchased the consolidated bay sport fishing license. The web page said you get a complimentary crabbing license and everyone is covered in the boat for crabbing.  I also called the DNR office and it was confirmed.  However, when I received my fishing license there was no mention of crabbing on either the paper or the decal.  I called the office and they said that this is normal but they may change the regulations this yr to where you will need a separate crabbing license, but since I have already received my sport license I will not need to buy one crabbing later on.  I just want to make sure that this is correct as I will be using my boat mainly for crabbing this yr.  I figured I'd put out the extra $35 just in case the kids wanted to try something different.  

Thank you so much,

Rob Ch.....

She replied:

Rob, we undoubtedly have the most complicated recreational crabbing license system in the country.  Hopefully I can answer your questions without making things more confusing.

First we will NOT be making any changes in blue crab recreational licenses this year. 
There was a proposal submitted but we have pulled it out of the regulatory process so it won’t be considered this year.

Your bay sport fishing license does include a complimentary crabbing license, but it covers only the person that purchased the license.  I should take a look at what is on the website because the complimentary crabbing license has never covered everyone on the boat. NRP knows that an individual is licensed to crab w/ the decal and if you take your paperwork with you it will allow you to crab anywhere else as well, but crabbing is not specifically mentioned. 

Individuals under 16 are exempt from needing a license, so your kids could crab without purchasing additional licenses.  But, this does NOT give them the ability to harvest a bushel, they are limited to the catch as an unlicensed crabber, which, from a boat is 4 dozen (which means you could keep 1 bushel + 4 dozen).  The under 16 exemption is what allows them to assist with fishing a trot line, collapsible pots or next rings.  Unlicensed crabbers that do not have an exemption are limited to hand lines and dip nets.

No matter how many licensed crabbers you have on the boat, you can only keep 2 bushels, max.  So the least expensive option is to be sure that someone has a $5 residential recreation crabbing license – and that will get you the additional bushel. 

So, is this as clear as mud?Huh 

Since you asked about crabbing I want to make sure you are aware that we have a volunteer recreational blue crab survey. Here’s the link -  http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/survey/vasurvey.html

That will get you to all the recreational surveys so you can enter information for what ever you might be catching.  We definitely appreciate your participation.[/color]

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
tugcapt

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 10:42:34 PM »

"Your bay sport fishing license does include a complimentary crabbing license, but it covers only the person that purchased the license.  I should take a look at what is on the website because the complimentary crabbing license has never covered everyone on the boat"

How can she say this?  It's on more than one webpage, it's on the regs page, bay sport page and crab regs, all in my last post.

DNR:
Recreational Crabbing License is required of persons catching crabs for recreational purposes in the waters of the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries using (a) trotline not to exceed 1,200 feet in length (baited portion), (b) 11 to 30 collapsible traps or rings, or (c) up to 10 eel pots for catching the individual’s own bait.

o       Resident $5.00

o       Holders of a Bay sport fishing license or a Resident Senior Consolidated fishing license $2.00

o       Nonresident $10.00

Recreational Crabbing Boat License allows everyone on board a vessel to catch crabs for recreational purposes anywhere in the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries, and is in lieu of individual licenses.  The following limits on gear apply to the vessel:  (a) trotline not to exceed 1,200 feet in length (baited portion), (b) maximum 30 collapsible traps or rings, or (c) any number of handlines and dip nets.

PHILLY JOE
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 10:59:07 PM »

Here is something else I don't understand.

Recreational Crabbing License is required of persons catching crabs for recreational purposes in the waters of the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries using (a) trotline not to exceed 1,200 feet in length (baited portion), (b) 11 to 30 collapsible traps or rings, or (c) up to 10 eel pots for catching the individual’s own bait.

o       Resident $5.00

o      Holders of a Bay sport fishing license or a Resident Senior Consolidated fishing license $2.00

o       Nonresident $10.00

If I am to receive a complementary crab license, why would this be posted?? Why would I have to pay $2 if it is included?  What did I get for my $50?

tugcapt

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 11:08:17 PM »

That doesn't apply to you.  It applies to me, I got a bay sport license (not a boat license) and only had to pay $2 to have the crab put on it.
You got a boat license, which comes with a fishing license for you and your boat, and a crab license for you and your boat.

That just states who need a license and how much it is.

PHILLY JOE
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 11:11:53 PM »

OK

I just found this on the mail in  application for licenses.

Consolidated Bay Sport Boat License allows everyone on board a
vessel used for pleasure to fish in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries
in lieu of individual licenses. A special complimentary Chesapeake Bay
sport fishing license, which includes recreational crabbing, will be issued
to the boat owner purchasing this license. This license is also valid as a
recreational crabbing boat license.

and if you look at the definition given for a recreational crabbing boat license

Recreational Crabbing Boat License allows everyone on board a
vessel to catch crabs for recreational purposes anywhere in the
Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries, and is in lieu of individual
licenses. The following limits on gear apply to the boat:
1. Trotline not to exceed 1,200 feet in length (baited portion)
2. A maximum of 30 collapsible traps or rings; or
3. Any number of handlines and dip nets.

here is the site:

http://dnr.maryland.gov/download/dnrf3.pdf

tugcapt

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 11:17:15 PM »

"I thought it was made perfectly clear in Brenda's response, I'll underline the key sentence"

It's not clear!  She says the boat license doesn't cover everyone on the boat.  Did this CHANGE?

She also said "but crabbing is not specifically mentioned"  What is mentioned, something other than crabs in the crab license?

tugcapt

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 11:21:07 PM »

If it's on the application and you mail it in with money to pay for that, than wouldn't that be a contract.

OK

I just found this on the mail in  application for licenses.

Consolidated Bay Sport Boat License allows everyone on board a
vessel used for pleasure to fish in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries
in lieu of individual licenses. A special complimentary Chesapeake Bay
sport fishing license, which includes recreational crabbing, will be issued
to the boat owner purchasing this license. This license is also valid as a
recreational crabbing boat license.

and if you look at the definition given for a recreational crabbing boat license

here is the site:

http://dnr.maryland.gov/download/dnrf3.pdf

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 08:29:16 AM »

I am thinking she means "catch limits" when she says the BSL only covers the person it is issued to. Meaning 2 people on the boat, only the boat is licensed, catch limit is 1 bushel + 4 dozen.  I think she summed it up pretty good with "So, is this as clear as mud?"   Grin

It's kinda like calling the IRS... Just keep calling back until you get the answer you want..  laugh

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
tugcapt

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 10:26:52 AM »

It's still only 1 bushel with an unlicensed crabber in the boat with you. I don't think you can keep the 4 dozen.  This is what DNR says, but they may be wrong.

CATCH LIMITS FOR A LICENSED BOAT:
Without any persons in the licensed boat who also possess an Individual Recreational Crabbing License;
1 bushel of hard crabs

Owner of the licensed boat in the boat with unlicensed crabbers;
1 bushel of hard crabs

This is how DNR lists it, if the first one is correct, this means the owner is not in the boat, so it covers who is and without a license for a bushel.

tugcapt

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 10:34:35 AM »

Something else about her statement:

"Individuals under 16 are exempt from needing a license, so your kids could crab without purchasing additional licenses.  But, this does NOT give them the ability to harvest a bushel, they are limited to the catch as an unlicensed crabber, which, from a boat is 4 dozen

If they are in a licensed boat, without the owner or another license onboard, they can catch a bushel according to the catch limits I posted above

(which means you could keep 1 bushel + 4 dozen).  The under 16 exemption is what allows them to assist with fishing a trot line, collapsible pots or next rings.  Unlicensed crabbers that do not have an exemption are limited to hand lines and dip nets."

This is what is not clear as MUD or is clear as mud, or is mud.  Unlicensed crabbers can trotline and keep a bushel as long as they are in a licensed boat.  What she says does apply to unlicensed crabbers, but it is not a good answer for someone asking a question about a boat sticker license and what applies to it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 11:06:13 AM by tugcapt » Logged

ILLSWIMHOME
Lifetime Member

Shake N Bake

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 11:08:59 AM »

This is not a topic to read when you just woke up from a long night in AC.  I need coffee.

Crab on!
tugcapt

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 11:18:17 AM »

laugh laugh What happens in AC stays in AC. laugh

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home