June 19, 2021, 06:24:20 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is tragic  (Read 4242 times)
jefftoleft
In Memoriam 02/2017
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2009, 05:18:38 AM »

Search Resumes In River For Missing 11 Year Old
Saturday, July 25, 2009
Robert Lang and John Patti

The search resumed early this morning for an 11 year old girl who officials believe fell of a boat Friday afternoon, and was then struck by that boat.

The boat accident occurred on the Sassafras River near Ordinary Point in Kennedyville.

Searchers looked for the girl for about seven hours Friday, before ending the search at 11:30 p.m.

The search resumed at first light this morning. 

Coast Guard, Maryland Natural Resources Police and a State Police helicopter are looking for the girl.

You will always catch more crabs with a DOT.NET than a DOT.COM
dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 07:18:53 AM »

Aren't kids under 12 or 14 required to wear a PFD?Huh
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 07:21:44 AM »

New Life Jacket Law for Children Becomes Effective April 1, 2006
On April 1, 2006 a new Maryland law governing personal flotation devices (PFDs) for children goes into effect. Under the new law, if a child is less than 4 years of age or weighs under 50 pounds, the child must wear a PFD with specific additional safety features including: a strap that is secured between the child’s legs to fasten together the front and back of the PFD; an inflatable headrest or high collar to keep the child’s head above water; and a web handle to ensure the ready accessibility of the child from the vessel.  Read more..

Effective June 1, 2001, all children under the age of 7 must WEAR a United States Coast Guard approved Personal Flotation Device (Life Jacket - Type I, II, III or V) while underway on a recreational vessel under 21 feet in length on Maryland waters. Recreational vessel includes motorboats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks, rowboats, and any other device capable of being used for transportation on the water, when the vessel is being used for other than commercial purposes.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 07:31:48 AM »

Unfortunately no.

Maryland - Personal Flotation Devices:

All children under the age of 7 MUST wear a U.S.C.G. approved personal flotation device (Life Jacket - Type I, II, III or V) while underway on a recreational vessel under 21 feet in length on Maryland waters. The life jacket must be the proper size for the child and must be in good and serviceable condition.

Unfortunate incident for sure. Curious to hear "The rest of the story" because I'm sure that, no, I'm not going to air my speculations, it will come out what the particulars were.

Sorry for the duplicate post as CRABBYD.................apparently he uses four fingers whereas I only use two. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:35:05 AM by lreops » Logged

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
dfran
In Memoriam 07/2017

Labs Rule !!!!!! Crabs ain't bad either !!!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 07:45:52 AM »

That is unfortunate. Here is the copy of the Pa regs. regarding children and PFD's I can't believe there is such a difference in the age requirement.

"In Pennsylvania, all children 12 years of age or younger are required to wear a life jacket when underway on a boat that is 20 feet in length or less and all canoes and kayaks. Beyond being a statewide regulation, however, ensuring youngsters are wearing a properly fitting life jacket is also common sense."

That truly is a sad situation, even sadder knowing it was preventable with some common sense.

BrianG
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 07:49:17 AM »

Such a terrible thing to hear about ... Prayers go out to the Family's

Brian
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 08:06:18 AM »

That is unfortunate. Here is the copy of the Pa regs. regarding children and PFD's I can't believe there is such a difference in the age requirement.

"In Pennsylvania, all children 12 years of age or younger are required to wear a life jacket when underway on a boat that is 20 feet in length or less and all canoes and kayaks. Beyond being a statewide regulation, however, ensuring youngsters are wearing a properly fitting life jacket is also common sense."

That truly is a sad situation, even sadder knowing it was preventable with some common sense.

Yes it is.  My girls get out of the truck and into life vests even before we get near the ramp.  Things can happen way too quick on the water.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 09:52:37 AM »

It's 13 or younger in VA..

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 10:12:32 AM »

I had my radio on scan and the coast guard was putting out a message about every 30 minutes about it.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 10:20:24 AM »

Yes it is.  My girls get out of the truck and into life vests even before we get near the ramp.  Things can happen way too quick on the water.
thumbsup D ......  I see it all the time.  Folks busy with the boat and little ones running up and down the piers without pfds.  I, for one, try to keep a eye on the little ones.   People don't think about the water enough.  At my pier the water is 12 feet deep with a current of 3 to 4 knots not unusual.  Even my son, who has been on the water since birth, asked me why I put a throw ring on our pier. Geezes Dad, I'll just jump in if one of the kids fell...  Then I got 2 people to rescue....  Undecided

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

boater2579
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 11:40:02 AM »

I had my 9 year old nephew out fishing and crabbing Sat. 7/25, and he was not happy that I made him wear a life jacket , I told him that if he fell off the boat or something bad happend he would be glad he had it on after he thought about it there were no more complaints,,   people do your part for the kids, like it was said before " things can happen fast on the water"
suzyq52
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 12:33:23 PM »

11 year old on my boat. This kid is on the swim and dive teams at our pool and is a positive fish.

Even Michael Phelps can't swim if he's unconscious.

I can only stress on so many things in one day - looks like you're not making the list. Tomorrow isn't looking so hot, either.
ravlegend
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 01:24:23 PM »

http://wjz.com/local/water.rescue.Cecil.2.1100515.html

Missing 11-Year-Old Girl's Body Found
KENNEDYVILLE, Md. (WJZ/AP) ―

[Click to zoom.] Click to enlarge

At 8:30 a.m. Sunday, the Maryland Natural Resources Police recovered the body of the missing 11-year-old girl from the Sassafras River.  The recovery was made by NRP officers, who had continued their surface search of the area for the boating accident victim.

Their search began at first light in the area of Ordinary Point, Sassafras River near Kennedyville.  The body was recovered within half a mile of where the original accident occurred.

Natural Resources police initially reported that the accident occurred about 4:30 p.m. Friday, and that the girl had gone overboard.

Investigators have declined to release the victim's name at this time, citing her age.

The body will be taken to the State Medical Examiner for autopsy.

(end of story)

My heart goes out to the family...
lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 02:25:04 PM »

Our prayers to the family.   Cry   Cry   Cry   Cry   Cry

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
CaptMoose
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 11:35:04 PM »

What a tragedy.  I hate when people get into a debate over regs when safety is involved.  So many people would benefit from just taking the extra precaution like having your child wear a life jacket regardless of the regs. 

I'll bet those who would let their kids go without would be horrified if I said I was going to have their kid jump off the boat in the middle of the river then we were going to take a little ride.  "You can't just leave her in the water & drive off!" they would say.  What do you think happens in a man overboard situation?

23' C Hawk

shedking
Lifetime Member

Choot em

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 12:19:27 PM »

Too sad. I have gained a new rule for my boat as of today. Anyone under 16 will have there PFD on at all times boat is underway..No exceptions. And to set the example I am going to wear mine as well. That is something my dad always did and as kids we thought it was silly. Now as adults, I can see the life saving value of a simple device. Thanks dad.
11 year old on my boat. This kid is on the swim and dive teams at our pool and is a positive fish.

Even Michael Phelps can't swim if he's unconscious.
That is so true. If they could turn back time I bet that little child wouldnt be onboard without.

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home