August 15, 2020, 01:17:35 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steamer`s you guy`s were right.Never boil again!!  (Read 6764 times)
ReelQuick

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2005, 10:42:53 PM »

Never thought I would say this but you guy`s were right again.Let me start from the time I was 6 and crabbed out of cherry stone camp ground for 2 weeks every August till the age of14,my father would pop the tops alive clean and boil.The ones we brought home were frozen cleaned.The other day I took a freind to dividing creek  with a freind and his son,37 nice crabs,as we were splitting up the catch he asked how are going to prepare them?I said clean and boil.......the wife doesen`t like them whole and have to deal with the mustard.He almost fell over!NOOOO  MAN! your missing the whole flavor factor.So I came over to the dark side,I made up a concoction of beer vinagar and a little h20.Got the pot a steamin and sent them in and covered in spice.About 16 minutets later I plated them,and took the wife`s share and boiled as usal.Spread ot the news paper and did a taste test with a cold one................Hand`s down.....You know the answer ;DGuess who`s going back out this weekend ;)Thank`s.

Don`t dry your hand`s on the cat.Seemed like a good idea at the time!
Crabber Joe
Lifetime Member

"A man's gotta know his limitations"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 11:04:56 PM »

Now all you have to do is clean them before you steam them & sprinkle with a little Jo #2 seasoning and even the wife will be happy. then your boiling days are behind you forever.

Anytime, Anyplace JO !
madcrab

Say hello to my littl' friend!!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 11:38:24 PM »

Hmmm....CBYC.... Lips Sealed Grin

"...as a free man, I take pride in saying, I am a doughnut."
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 06:29:02 AM »

Thats the way to go STEAM em thats the only way.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
War Horse

Timonium Maryland And I do Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 07:51:29 AM »

You are right steaming is the only way to go.  Growing up I never knew of any other way to eat crabs but steamed with spices.   I thought everyone in the world ate them that way. 

I was out of state and order what they called Maryland style crabs.  Yeah right,   they were boiled and not steamed with spices etc.  I wanted to go into the kitchen and show them how to do it right.  Nothing like Steamed Crabs with good spices.

ReelQuick, I am glad you found a new way to enjoy the crabs.   Grin Grin

ALL IS ONE AND ONE IS ALL

crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 08:16:06 AM »

Steamin' is the only way ........................(for me)

Live To Crab And Crab To Live !!!!
CrabDog
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 12:46:06 PM »

RQ,

I have had crabs in LA and TX and they both boil them and they were mushy.  I asked for old Bay or JO and they asked me are you from MD.  Yeah,
and so they didn't have either spice, but they brought me some hot sauce ( tabasco or texas pete ) and that was it.  Very mushy.  And they were cleaned and just the back fin and legs.  The TX place billed these crabs as MD style.  I had to try because I am from there, but they were a far cry form MD style.  Steamed in Beer and vinegar and JO.  Only way to fly.  I would watch your cook time though.  I usually steam mine about 30 mintues not 16, but it is the whole crab, not clean so they make a difference. 

.CD

MD / PA Line
F.I.sherman

Is bin laden still enjoying his bahama's vacation?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 02:00:54 PM »

usually you only hear about crabs being boiled because they only boil crabs in the south.steaming is the way to go,but as far as cleaning before you cook,i will stick with cook before you clean.I tried the cbyc method and found the crab meat to not have such a great taste.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin
Crabber Joe
Lifetime Member

"A man's gotta know his limitations"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 02:27:01 PM »

as far as cleaning before you cook,i will stick with cook before you clean.I tried the cbyc method and found the crab meat to not have such a great taste.
yeah your right all those guts and waste inside the crab that hasn't exited the body yet must add something to the flavor that removing the shell and rinsing that muck out and sprinkling the jo inside takes away!

Anytime, Anyplace JO !
ReelQuick

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 03:43:00 PM »

For got to add,she agreed that  that the steamed claw`s were better than the boiled.I got good chompers,so I crack them  for her(SOMETIME`S) !!!! Boil`ing is for dirty laundry,Thank`s again,born again Reel Quick.

Don`t dry your hand`s on the cat.Seemed like a good idea at the time!

i_got_crabs

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 10:52:48 PM »

Steam em, clean em, spic em, soak em, serve em

THis is the i_got_crabs  method

1. Rinse the live crabs in fresh water then put them in the fridge to slow em down.... Keeps the crabs from throwing their claws  zzz

2. Put water in your steamer  Wink

3. Add enough spice to your steamer to choke a horse. Bring the water to blistering temps  sweatdrop

4. Put the sleepy crabs into your steamer and steam their blue as lipsrsealed2 es until their as :lipsrsealed2:es turn orange.

5. Remove the crabs and clean em. Note: save any 9”+ shells to prove to the non believers and the rest of the known world that the Mumbos do indeed exist.  deal2

6. Dump your choice of seasoning on the cleaned crabs and return to steamer until seasoning is moist.

7. Dip crabs into seasoned steamer water and serve  chef

The last step is very important.. nothing in the world like sucking the juices out of those crab legs and claws… ummmmmmmmmmmmm..  wink3
F.I.sherman

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 05:39:23 AM »

"yeah your right all those guts and waste inside the crab that hasn't exited the body yet must add something to the flavor that removing the shell and rinsing that muck out and sprinkling the jo inside takes away!"

the guts and waste are what add to the flavor.its like cooking a hamburger or a steak then trying to drain out all the grease,when the grease is what makes the flavor.
i take a cooler fill it half way with water then add a can of old bay,then soak the crabs in it,then proceed to steam them.
the old bay flavor stays in the crab while cooking.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin
beach bum

Size matters

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 09:26:45 AM »

soloman, are you saying you soak LIVE crabs in a water and Old Bay mixture? For how long? Ice water or just tap water? Does it kill the crabs? I've never ever heard of that before but I gotta try it.

Crabin' - Probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
F.I.sherman

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 11:22:24 AM »

yea,i soak live crabs in water mixed with old bay.
i let them breath it in for about 10 minutes then off to the pot they go.i then add more spices on top of them in the pot.

Benjamin Franklin
crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 11:39:56 AM »

You know solomon , that makes sense . As the crabs breathe in the old bay water it has to flavor the inside . I might just have to do a little test this weekend . I'll let you know how it turns out ...........

Live To Crab And Crab To Live !!!!

beach bum

Size matters

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 12:15:59 PM »

Well I wasn't going to go crabbing this weekend but now I want to try steaming them this way sooooo, I'm off to the store in search for chicken necks.

Crabin' - Probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Tuarus

WOW CRABS! WHAT COULD BE BETTER OH YEAH MORE CRABS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 01:27:01 PM »

UP IN CONNECTICUT MY FAMILY ALWAYS BOILED THE CRABS..  AFTER BEING IN THIS FORUM, I'M IN THE PROCESS OF ORDERIN SOME JO #2.  THEY SENT ME A LIST WITH THEIR PRICES.  AND I'LL BE STEAMIN WITH BEER, VINEGAR AND WATER.  THANKS GUYS
 Grin

New Britain, CT
F.I.sherman

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 05:21:12 PM »

some people will take a screwdriver and push it through the shell,i tried it then i found out its better to let them breath it in naturally.its just like king crab,thier salty because they take in alot of salt from the ocean.anyways give it a try.

Benjamin Franklin
Tuarus

WOW CRABS! WHAT COULD BE BETTER OH YEAH MORE CRABS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 05:38:44 PM »

WILL DO THANKS.

New Britain, CT

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home