September 17, 2019, 12:59:40 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Circus Crabs  (Read 1604 times)
tweetybug

« on: August 05, 2004, 03:27:52 PM »

I had the oppotunity to catch a very low clear tide.  In the area were about 15 crabs of which I had 1 line, 1 trap and 1 pot.  They weren't interested in the line.  They would circle the pot but give up as if to say ah I can get easier food elsewhere.  Now as they approached the open trap they backed up about 2 feet then swam through the trap then circled it for a minute then backed away.  As if to test whether it was safe to enter with an exit.  Watching them swim through like that was the shocker.  After all this they still stayed in the same area.  It was not bad bait as they clipped a few pieces with swim through.  Could the crabs be adapting to the ways of capture as if we were a predator they need to beware of ? ?  
Had anyone witnessed this before ?  
It did make for an enjoyable show of circus crabs !  LMAO  
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 07:30:45 AM »

Very interesting indeed.

Here's what I noticed down at Lake Mattamuskeet:

Along one lock, I had two handlines and four traps in the water. On one particular handline I kept getting something. I'd pull the line in slowly only to have the crab drop off at the last second. As soon as I put the bait back in the water, the crab would start hitting it again (it wasn't a turtle). After several futile attempts to catch this crab, I pulled up the handline and threw in a trap in the exact same location. I was certain that the crab would go into the trap and I'd have him. After 4 or 5 pulls from the trap, nothing.  Angry

So, I pulled the trap and put back the handline. And wouldn't you know, that pesky crab was right back at it again. And he kept dropping off at the last minute like usual.

So, here's what I did:

I put a large unbaited ring-trap straight down from where I was standing. When the crab was back on my line, I slowly pulled him in. When he got over the ring trap, I pulled it up and nailed him!  Grin Grin Grin

But, your story explains why the first trap didn't catch him. Perhaps he was a cunning and smart crab and stayed clear of unknown objects.  Huh
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 09:18:50 AM »

Survival of the fittest
 Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
tweetybug

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 05:31:23 PM »

Glad to hear I am not the only one the crabs got the best of.  I was considering a ring trap but didn't think it was efficient.  To each crab its own habits.

Good one Jack, problem is I thought I was the fittest  Cool
Guess I thought wrong  Grin  Embarassed
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 07:35:43 PM »

Perhaps he was a cunning and smart crab and stayed clear of unknown objects.  Huh
AHA...THATS why I'm in a slump.....only the SMART crabs come up against the King... Grin...how devious Cheesy Cheesy Grin

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker

Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 12:30:35 AM »

Yeah KC, we have to find a dumb creek for you. Grin

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 01:15:14 PM »

yea...I got enuff dumb freinds Grin Grin Grin Grin

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home