December 07, 2021, 08:01:29 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it time to close the wild oyster fishery?  (Read 5352 times)
jack1747 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Wolfetone

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 11:38:37 PM »

Sadly, groups/businesses who should be held accountable are not, and unfortunately, there isn't enough data to measure the impact other's have.  Seems like there is a sewage spill that lasts a week, every week.  Never hear of any fines or consequences, seems to me prevention should be pretty easy.  How about holding DNR accountable for their lack of control and failure to restore the population after every 5-10 years they make a pledge to increase stocks by a blockbuster number?  I guess you can't; they don't have the resources to control sewage spills, fertilizer run-off, oil spills, etc.  But what I'm getting at is, neither do watermen.  So why shut them down?  

Cities, Counties, Businesses, and anyone else who pollutes the bay should be fined and fined severely. Most of these areas have been under EPA mandate to clean up their '[curd]', for a long time, and they have not been held accountable. The dumping of raw sewage into the Bay must be stopped as quickly as possible. DC is almost done with their sewage problems, but Alexandria and other areas have a lot of work to do, and it isn't going to be fixed tomorrow. Every dam that currently doesn't serve a purpose should be demolished since they block numerous fish species from getting to their spawning grounds. The rest of the dams need to be examined to determine if their benefits out way the costs to the bay.

We used to have an incredibly vibrant bay, and we can have one again (not as good as it was 300 years ago, but much closer). Cleaning up the bay and restoring the flow of the waterways will mean exponentially more oysters, crabs, shad, herring, alewife, menhaden, rockfish, etc. The increase in stock will not only be able to provide a good living for the current watermen, but for their children and others who will come back to the industry.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home