September 22, 2021, 10:40:57 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orange basket Question  (Read 647 times)
ranger521
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2021, 07:57:27 AM »

So I searched all over the forum on this so I figured I would ask.  Has anyone been checked by DNR witht the orange baskets on board and what did they say.  I know they are bigger and I heard several things like dont go above the final square to count three lines down.  when I sit them side by side it likes like the wooden one comes to the last square.  What has DNR SAID about this.  I like the orange ones bc they wont mar up my boat and have nice handles.  With that said I usually don't catch a bushel.  I go with my wife and 7 yo boy who loves crabbing and by the time we get going its late anyway but we have fun.  I just dont want to be singled out bc there is an orange basket on my boat.  I do know that they are bigger and heard it hold 1 1/4 bushel and I dont want to go over my limit ever.  When I look at it sided by side it looks to me that if someone DID NOT go over the bottom solid line on the top that would be a bushel but I am not DNR.  Just wanted to know if there were any TRUE stories of being checked and what they said and if there is a final word. 

would be nice if they would make an orange bushel basket of true dimensions.  I guess the new orange basket will make a nice laundry basket so I dont bust up my knuckles when going in and out of the bedroom.
suzyq52
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 12:27:48 PM »

You could easily solve the problem by having both you and your wife licensed. That would let you keep up to two bushels, and if you do happen to fill the orange basket up, you would still be well within the limits. The orange baskets are reputed to be 1 1/4 bushel.

There's been copious amounts of discussion on this board about the orange baskets - capacity, effectiveness, and on and on. Do a seach and many of your questions will be answered.

I can only stress on so many things in one day - looks like you're not making the list. Tomorrow isn't looking so hot, either.
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 02:29:30 PM »

My understanding is you can keep crabs in anything you want (basket/box/cooler/hat.) If close or doubting legal limit they will pull out a stainless basket and transfer your catch to determine an overage.   When they check me they just look and say well it looks like X amount - they make a note in their stop report - I assume to check against the comm crab report at the end of the month.
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 05:38:13 PM »

Just put a wooden bushel basket inside your plastic one. Fill to the top of the wooden one.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 06:56:30 PM »

Use the search function at the top of this page.  Search "orange basket". You will get a ton of info on them.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 11:57:09 AM »

You could easily solve the problem by having both you and your wife licensed. That would let you keep up to two bushels, and if you do happen to fill the orange basket up, you would still be well within the limits. The orange baskets are reputed to be 1 1/4 bushel.

There's been copious amounts of discussion on this board about the orange baskets - capacity, effectiveness, and on and on. Do a seach and many of your questions will be answered.

I get a license for my son every year for just this reason.  I don't want to have to think about it, and it's pretty obvious I don't have 2 bushel of crabs...ever.  I think I've been close a couple times, but definitely never 2 full bushel.
samiam

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 02:07:07 PM »

Seems to me that the OP is asking (among other questions) whether he is increasing his risk of being checked merely because he has an orange basket in his boat, based on the direct experience of other members.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 07:07:56 PM »

Just put a wooden bushel basket inside your plastic one. Fill to the top of the wooden one.

There's the most logical answer.   I got tired of the crabs clinging to the plastic and climbing out.     Been doing it for years.  

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 09:23:23 AM »

I got tired of the crabs clinging to the plastic and climbing out.  

This is the same reason I no longer use them.

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 10:13:46 AM »

I lay wet burlap over the top of the orange baskets and never had a problem.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home