May 26, 2022, 06:29:22 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fortescue Report for Fri Sept 10  (Read 663 times)
blueclawfever
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2021, 01:05:17 PM »

My buddies from Reading and I arrived at the Owl’s nest at 6:30 am on a cool, clear morning.  You could feel autumn was almost in the air.  We arrived with 20 topless traps and just as many turkey and chicken necks along with a boat full of anticipation.  We were going to head to the bay and make a left to see if we could find Captain Williecrab’s ultra-secret spot.  However, after speaking with the captain the night before we decided to try Turkey Point instead.  We headed out to DC and made a turn south until we found the entrance to Weir Creek.  We eventually came upon the car bridge and had to lower the Bimini top in order to clear the span.  We powered along until we could see the foot bridge to the left then continued for a few hundred yards to lay our traps.  After many successful pulls, we heard the noise coming from a powerful 50hp engine.  In just a few moments we could see fast approaching the King of the Creeks, none other than Captain Williecrab!  The captain is a hero of ours, so we not only gave him our favorable report but took pictures aplenty of the captain, his creek exploration ship, and his nautical gear.  It had been a while since we had seen the captain and we chatted at length about crabbing and the day ahead of us.   The captain thought that the conditions might be ok to check out his super-secret spot, so we lifted our gear and headed to the promised “land” on the condition that we would never divulge the location of where we were heading.  We tried to keep up with the captain but our puny, 25hp engine could not keep up with the powerful creek exploration ship.  It was a good thing for we were only halfway to the promised “land” when we saw the captains ship come doubling back, warning us not to go any further because the conditions had not improved as he thought.  So, we went back to the dock at the Owl’s Nest to stretch our legs and rest up a bit when none other than Admiral Ed was spotted on the dock.  Well, it was a good thing that we saved some film in our cameras because Admiral Ed, aka “Whaler” was a big hit with the crew and the flashbulbs were popping once again.  After the “Crab Paparazzi” was done taking photos of the two crabbing hall of famers, we headed back to our original crabbing grounds.  The captain came with us and advised us to try a spot a bit further up the creek behind Fortescue.  The captain showed us where to lay the traps in 3-6 feet of water and we were immediately on the crabs.  The captain said that he was a veteran of this area for many decades and his knowledge paid off with many bigger rusty crabs.  Over the next few hours, we worked our way back to DC and gave Maple Pond a try.  We were worried about the outgoing tide and getting stuck, so the captain saved us some time and told us to lay the traps in his wake line which we did.  A few more crabs were caught, and we noticed that we were very low on fuel.  We mentioned this to the captain, and he kindly offered us a tow back to the Owl’s nest.  The captain started towing us at breakneck speed.  I could almost say that literally because our puny little boat, whose name is the “Sea Senore” with the embarrassingly small engine had never travelled so fast in its life.   The boat simply could not handle the enormous wake of the captains creek exploration ship with the 50hp engine.  It was just a moment longer when the tow line snapped after the “Sea Senore” did a nosedive into what appeared to be a breaking 5-foot wake wave…..if not for the courage of the fearless crew the “Sea Senore” would be lost…….the “Sea Senore” would be lost.  The captain doubled back and resecured the tow line and went to ¼ full in his wheelhouse and brought us safely back to port, with all hands saved along with 37 rusty crabs.   It was one of the most enjoyable, adventurous, exciting days I have ever had on the creeks.  The crew of the “Sea Senore” would like to thank Admiral Ed and Captain Williecrab for posing for so many photos for the crab paparazzi and offering up so much advice and help.  It was a pleasure meeting two crabbers who are first ballot inductees into the crabbing hall of fame.  What a gorgeous day on the water, with a great crew and guide.  We are hoping for at least one October trip and possibly a November trip!

I have a fever....
And the prescription....
Is more crabbing !!
tattoo
In Memoriam 09/2021
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 01:02:45 PM »

nice report and pictures

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T