January 22, 2022, 04:22:38 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2021 October 14 ~~ October Autumn Crabbing Delight ~~ Crabmuda Triangle NJ  (Read 645 times)
CaptWilliecrab
Lifetime Member

A great way to live a day!

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2021, 09:52:55 AM »

2021 October 14     ~~  October Autumn Crabbing Delight ~~  Crabmuda Triangle NJ

“I would love to live like a river flows, carried by the surprise of its own unfolding.”  - John O'Donohue

10:30am:  Capt Williecrab launched the creek ship Madison Rose into last phase of ebbing waters at the Owls Nest in Dividing Creek NJ.  The air temps were perfect.  The air was crisp and clear and almost drinkable.  Top creek warp speed was achieved and the ship sailed under the Turkey Point drive across bridge into the Crabmuda Triangle.  He then headed for the outer limits of the Triangle to where the Beaver Dam Boat Rentals are.

The Capt had on board 10 topless traps, chicken wings, 6 bloodworms, and grass shrimp he had scooped up.  Just before the triangle he stopped and said hello to a couple of crabbers.     He was bound to break his perch slump.  His goal today was 16 nice crabs for feasting during the Eagles game and a few perch for Sweet Cindy Marie.

Big perch were all over and chasing schools of minnows.  The Capt only caught 8 medium perch, mostly on grass shrimp.  He wished he had his minnow trap with him.  He dropped a couple of his traps on the side of the ship and caught a few nice brown fall crabs.  It is tough to see big perch at ebbed tide swarming around the ship and ignoring the fisherman.  
With the tide now starting to flood the Capt strung some of his traps near Beaver Dam and in the Oranoaken Creek.  There were some nice big brown fall crabs, but the Capt wanted to leave the Triangle and head for Port Norris.   He pulled his traps and moved on.

The first challenge now was to get under that drive across bridge in Turkey Point.  The Capt eased under the bridge and the helm rail was only about 1/8” from hitting the bottom of the bridge.  The Capt began to pull the ship through but grabbing the bolt ends above his head.  
The tide was now flooding fast.  The Capt got the bow of the ship past, but then he got stuck.  The helm rail was now jammed and squished under the bridge.  The Capt realized that bridge is not completely flat.  There was no way to go forward only backward, but he was jammed up and unable to move the ship.  The creek was flooding fast.

He thought about pulling the plug and filling the ship with water in hopes it would lower it.  First he had one more idea.  He layed on his back on the helm’s cooler seat and did a reverse push up on the bottom of the bridge pushing the ship down a fraction of an inch.  Backing out now the helm rail scraped along underneath the bridge gathering gobs of tar on it, but the ship was free.

The Capt did a u-turn and headed for the very shallow Johnsons Ditch.  The ditch had about 14” of water and the ship navigated slowly with the engine tilted way up.  Just under the Turkey Point walk across bridge the Capt was about to pick up the speed and move out of the Crabmuda Triangle.  Now it was on to the Delaware Bay at top creek warp speed.

“When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.” - Rumi

Blazing past the Dividing Creek Delta and into the expanse of the Delaware Bay the Capt navigated to the Grasslands Critch.  The bay was at its best.  Smooth, quiet, clear and perfect with its gentle trade winds.  

Once in the Critch, the Capt deployed his traps.  The day was moving along with only a few nice crabs in the holding tank along with 8 medium perch.  The tide was flooding high now as the Capt  began to work.  Big fat crabs were being harvested now.  The Capt became selective and threw away crabs that he could normally keep.  

The weather was so perfect the Capt did not want to go in.  Now it was around  4:00pm and the Capt stopped and fished.   One more small perch.  The Capt crabbed some more and hit some very nice 6.5” crabs with huge claws.  The 5.5” and 6” crabs were rusty and full of meat.  The bigger ones were not full, but they would still be delicious.

The Capts goal of 16 nice crabs was realized quickly, and when he hit 25 nice dinner crabs,  he adjusted his goal to 25.  It was time to stack traps and head for home base.  What a blessing to live a day in the creek maze wilderness!!

1 Timothy 6:6-7    But Godliness with contentment is great gain.  For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.

Capt Williecrab, Creek Explorer in the 20’th and 21’rst centuries.

“When the water is calm, take as much distance as possible with your boat!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan

Note:  The Crabmuda Triangle is the area from Turkey Point to Fortescue to Beaver Dam NJ
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 12:13:36 PM by CaptWilliecrab » Logged
Levi

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 10:58:08 AM »

AWESOME !!! ENJOY WHILE YOU CAN, ; NOT GOING TO SEE MANY MORE DAYS LIKE THAT !!!!  Cry
fish machine

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 11:34:37 AM »

Great job Capt Williecrab ,they are some nice crabs and I am glad to see you finally caught some perch. I will be there tomorrow trying to do the same thing. Enjoy the catch.
Crabber1988

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 12:41:58 PM »

What was the water temp
capt crab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 09:12:58 PM »

I'm glad you didn't hurt your back  I know how Scary it can be getting stuck under the Bridge and the tide coming in   I had a 36ft Pacemaker and the Bow slid under the Bulkhead  My friend said It looks like the back of the boat is raising up out of the water so we hurried back to the boat and got 2 2x4's stood on the bow and tried to pry the bow from beneath the bulkhead  When it finally broke lose the 2x10 shot up in the air and the 2x4 hit my friend in the chest and knocked him down Luckily neither one of us got hurt real bad  The Bow suffered some damage but it survived   Wow I'm writing like you (Long message) LOL  Talk to you soon and God Bless     Your friend   Cap't Crab

blueclawfever
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 08:37:05 PM »

Great report as always, Captn!  Sounds like a great day on the water and its a good thing you can still do upside down pushups.  I will have to remember that if I ever get stuck under that bridge!  Best of luck to you  next week when you have some guests out on the water in your Creek Ship  Smiley

I have a fever....
And the prescription....
Is more crabbing !!
NOREAST

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 09:42:28 AM »

Glad to hear you were able to get out of that situation. Crabbing that bridge I know the current rips under that bridge and there’s not many times you fight Mother Nature and end up on top. Putting my boat in at Fortesque, the current going under that bridge has made me change my plans until the tide slowed down. Thanks for sharing your story so others will be aware. Great report.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home