December 05, 2021, 09:05:34 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bait swap, any input  (Read 336 times)
Kayak Crabber

Colossal Style

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2021, 01:53:28 PM »

Been using chicken legs with good results but have heard fish is better.  Any input on the subject?  Thanks
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 02:12:22 PM »

I use white perch in traps quite often and it works as well or better then chicken necks. I know a couple places that I can usually catch 50-100 perch  with rod and reel in 1 or 2 hours.  It's amazing how much fun it is catching the little perch when you have a use for them.   PIA catching em when you want bigger ones for eating.  If they're 5" or less I usually cut one slit in their side from head to tail to expose white meat. If they're over 5" I usually cut them in half from backfin  to belly and have 2 pieces of bait from each fish.  

I never use chicken legs because I'm cheap and chicken necks cost less and hold up much better.  I buy necks in the 40lb box ($28 - 70 cents a pound) to use on trotlines.  Get 700-800 baits per box from young chickens.

*Just noticed you're in FL.  I'm in MD and there are no size or quantity limits on white perch, most other fish have limits on size and how many you can catch per day..   You might wanna check FL regs on which fish you would use for bait.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 02:33:12 PM by Harford Crabber » Logged

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 02:45:00 PM »

I've also used eel with very good success, probably better than perch.  They definitely hold up better than perch or chicken necks but they are not as plentiful so I don't catch many on rod and reel.   In MD they actually give us a license to use up to 10 eelpots for catching eel for crabbing bait with our recreational crabbing license.  I've never tried eelpots but may give it a shot in the future.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home