December 05, 2021, 09:24:30 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone know the origin of these crab traps.  (Read 487 times)
Samgreene1013

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2021, 03:35:43 PM »

My dad bought 18 of these traps about 15-20yrs ago. We have had great success with these traps and you can store these in half the amount of space as stackable traps and there simplistic design allows these to last forever. He bought some at the Pasadena sport fishing flea market and the others at Cobe marine in Pasadena. Have you guys ever seen these or know were I can find some more? Thanks.
vw_buggsy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 08:37:45 AM »

First, most folks on this board will tell you the topless traps or good quality ring nets will out perform those traps, and ring nets store just as small.

With that out of the way:

I recently saw that kind of trap for the first time in a YouTube video. The person on the video also got theirs around 20 years ago and can't find them now! So they may no longer be being made. I suspect a local was making them but no longer is?? I couldn't find them either.

That trap is discussed ~13:30

I actually paused the video and guessed out some measurements so I could try to reproduce some. I thought they might be good for taking in a wagon down a fishing pier since they fold so compactly. They are a very simple trap so your best bet might be sourcing some wire mesh and hog rings and just making some.

The first one I've made works fine, but I used a heavy gauge galvanized wire and the top part once bent into the dome shape for use kind of likes to hold the shape so I have to counter bend it to get it back to flattish to fold it down. I haven't decided if I want to find a lighter gauge, continue to use the heavier gauge, or if I even want to make more of that trap design. Anyway, they are very easy to make. Of the four designs I've made so far these are the easiest style to produce. If they aren't on the market anymore and people seem to like them I might start making some for sale.

Here's another trap you might be interested in. I think it might be made or sold by marathon, is this folding two door. It's a little more complex. The sides of the trap box hinge at both the top and bottom and to hold it square while in use the small panels on the inside drop down so it can't collapse back to flat unless you fold them back up:
https://www.tackledirect.com/fj-neil-225-ct-12-inch-box-shaped-snap-crab-trap.html

« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 08:53:01 AM by vw_buggsy » Logged
Samgreene1013

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 07:20:43 PM »

Im sure others may catch better but you try to convince the old man about that. Lol. He has already made half a donzen since I posted that. If you interested in the true specs Im sure I could get those for you
vw_buggsy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 08:19:52 AM »

Yeah, actually I'd love to have the real dimensions! Again I think those might be really good traps for taking onto a pier, particularly with my kiddo, or for when traveling because they fold down to nothing and they are easy to make.

I get what you mean about preferred gear. If you find something that works for you, you might as well stick with it! In general the board seems to rank 4 door traps above 2 door for "catchability", then 4 door topless above 4 doors traps with a lid. The net ring traps kind of depend on how they're built, cheap cotton rings lower on the list but high quality "perfection" or Alario Bros ring nets catching as well or even better than topless 4 door. I'm slowly attempting to try all of them so I can form my own opinions. The hard part is that it's hard to tell if a good day has anything to do with the traps or if I was just in the right place at the right time. After all they'll all catch crabs if there are crabs around to catch!

When I saw the video I assumed the mesh used was 1.5" square and thus my back of the napkin measurements were:
Top Panel:
    12 meshes x 8 meshes = 18x12"
Bottom Panel:
    8 meshes x 8 meshes = 12x12"
Doors:
    7 meshes x 4 meshes = 10.5x6"

How close did I get?

I can't seem to find the 1.5" mesh around here easily. Also, what is the gauge wire mesh are you using? I made one out of 14 gauge 1x2" mesh that seems too stiff, I was going to try something in a 16 gauge which won't last as long but will be lighter and fold better.

Thanks, and all the best,
Buggsy
Samgreene1013

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 05:35:28 PM »

Well you got the specs right. He used 16 gauge 1.5x1.5 that he got off of Amazon. The original ones were made out of 14 gauge he says the only concern with the 16 is hes not sure how long the corner will work before breaking but he used them Monday and had no troubles. Pic shows the corners I was talking about.

vw_buggsy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 08:37:22 PM »

Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home