November 28, 2021, 09:52:50 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crab Trap Question  (Read 143 times)
mattsmithfb

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2021, 10:58:25 AM »

I have 16 feet of rope on my [curd] traps in case I want to use them in deeper water early or later in the season.  My question is what are your ways that you make the rope length shorter?  For example, if I am crabbing in 5 feet of water, I have to pull up 11 extra feet of rope which can ultimately alert the crabs in the trap if they feel anything.  This year, I have wrapped the extra length around the buoy but I didn't know if there was an easier way.  Any input would be appreciated!  Thanks.

Matt
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 12:31:16 PM »

on the hook
Lifetime Member

Location: Central Pa/S Jersey till I can find some work somewhere

I love crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 06:07:07 PM »

I do what Wallco does, but I drilled a hole about 1/4 diameter at the end of each 'notch' that the line can go in tight and then it 'pops' into the 1/4 dia spot...Roll up whatever isn't needed and cinch it in whatever groove you want...Wallco showed me his last spring and it works good in Md but I'm changing my next set to LARGER floats as I believe the tide runs harder here/there in NJ where I crab mostly...Had a bunch of those type floats suck under and had to wait for slack tide.

I'm niether proud nor embarrassed, I'm a man....Sometimes I sh!t my pants.....It's part of the deal.
mattsmithfb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 07:35:26 PM »

Thanks for your input.  I'm always looking for ways to improve the efficiency of my crabbing experience!  This is what I have been doing this year.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home