November 28, 2021, 10:09:49 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2021 Crab Season Report - Western Shore Mid-Bay River - Year in Review  (Read 322 times)
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2021, 07:58:33 PM »

This was another fun season on the water with no major frustrations.  This season I met some nice folks and picked up some tips for crabbing along the way.  The catch was slow to start the year through mid-summer but returned closer to normal September through November.  Fuel prices and longer distance ramp/river choices and using clams over chicken when it was not necessary drove up my overall costs.  Thankfully this was offset by adequate crab prices for most sales.

On 44 trips (same as last year) on two Western Shore Mid-Bay Rivers from June 25 to November 6 the yield was approximately 140 bushel (down 29 bu. from last year) or 3.18 bushel per trip (down from 3.85 bu. per trip last year.)  This 20% catch decline was noticeable and impactful.

The crabs were biting when I left the river November 6th and water temp 54, but I was called out of town and lost the next two weekends.  When I returned with just a handful of days before Thanksgiving the temps and winds told me my season was over.

My main helper this season once again was my dog Pesky (Pesky is her online alias, real name Charlie.)  During the season someone asked about Pesky falling off the boat and interestingly she fell off a couple times shortly thereafter.  I had some customer observers join me on a trip which was fun for me to instruct the activity.

I had steamed crabs only a couple times through the season.  We had a couple bushel of jumbo's over the 4th of July with extended family and again at the end of the season kept some huge crabs for dinner and picked 5 pounds for some dishes for the freezer.

The boat is covered, battery on a charger in the garage along with 50 or so stacked baskets, and the cool box is unplugged.  I will repair snoods and line breaks in early spring.  The boat will need the winder rewired, dipper net repaired and reattached to the frame.  The motor may get plugs and a water pump, and fuel filter.  My man overboard kill switch failed and I need to install the replacement MOB.  I think that is about all I plan before next season. 

I am already looking forward to next season.  If anyone is still out there chasing the crabs down and out - good luck to you.  Have A Good One - Guy
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 06:57:32 AM by Stabilizer » Logged
Perfectionist
Lifetime Member

9" caught in a Perfectionist Crab Ring

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 12:12:16 AM »

Thanks for the final update and all your reports you posted throughout the season.

I always tell myself "KISS". Keep It Simple Stupid.

Crab Ring Nets made by Perfectionist
SSKrabbyPatty
Supporting Member

Beware Mr.Krabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 04:55:27 AM »

Yes, thank you for your reports. They are informative and enjoyable reads. Hope you have a relaxing off season. Pesky needs a break too.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home