May 15, 2022, 11:16:29 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kayak Safety Items.  (Read 392 times)
Logical1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2022, 01:46:51 PM »

Some of you may have seen my post last year where I got caught in bad weather and currently and wind rolled me.  Lucky for me the water was warm and another kayaker helped get me to shore.  Which got me to thinking, what can you do if you are alone? 

I found this on Amazon and just got it in
  Under $60 and can be used when alone or to help someone else who has flipped.  Very compact, sturdy and reusable.

There's no place like roam!
moc
Lifetime Member

Machburner

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 09:40:14 AM »

A friend of mine made his own out of PVC and some thick nylon rob.  It worked well.  Here are two videos on how to use the rescue ladder and on how to make one.

MOC a.k.a. "Machburner"
Logical1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 11:24:59 AM »

Nice, people need to realize ahead of time what it will take to get a fishing kayak flipped back over.  Notice how he had his gear secured so he wouldn't lose it.

Rig to flip and dress to swim.

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 07:15:45 PM »

I hear these guys make a nice kayak. It won't flip over!!
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 03:54:31 PM »

Weebles wobble but they won't fall down....  Now that's an old jingle now stuck in my head!  lol  

I love to fish, but I live to crab.

Logical1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 05:32:21 PM »

Here is another one that I have to give Adam credit for.  Since kayaks are sometimes not the most highly visible craft on the water.  He had me put reflective tape on my paddle. Since we had Identical paddles, we made sure we had different reflective tape patterns so we could tell them apart.  It is very visible even in moonlight.  If you were in the water, it would give you a reflective target to hold several feet above water level to help people searching for you.

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 06:54:09 PM »

thumbsup Great idea

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2022, 07:03:08 PM »

A bunch of kayaker's were traveling out of the creek.  I could see them but knew that my buddy who was behind me couldn't.  I also knew these Kayaker's(from the campground) had no clue.  My buddy and I were racing home. ALL STOP Shocked Grin laugh All's well that ends well.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Logical1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2022, 07:37:09 PM »

A bunch of kayaker's were traveling out of the creek.  I
could see them but knew that my buddy who was behind me couldn't.  I also knew these Kayaker's(from the campground) had no clue.  My buddy and I were racing home. ALL STOP Shocked Grin laugh All's well that ends well.

I have heard comments from several boaters about the increased visibility the reflective tape adds.  And since the paddle is usually in motion, it easily gets attention.

Sunpal

Pickin' n' grinnin'

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2022, 09:08:47 AM »

Here's a photo of my son on our kayak.  You can clearly see the effectiveness of the SOLAS reflective tape. The only illumination was the weak flash of my camera.  Along with the reflective tape on the paddle and his PFD, there is also a long strip of tape down the length of the hull, and on the front and back deck.  BTW: SOLAS = Safety of Life at Sea

If it weren't for running in circles, I'd get nowhere.

Woof, woof, woof ! That’s my other dog imitation.”

Logical1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2022, 10:46:57 AM »

Here's a photo of my son on our kayak.  You can clearly see the effectiveness of the SOLAS reflective tape. The only illumination was the weak flash of my camera.  Along with the reflective tape on the paddle and his PFD, there is also a long strip of tape down the length of the hull, and on the front and back deck.  BTW: SOLAS = Safety of Life at Sea
Thanks for posting a picture of the reflective tape in use.  It does make a big difference in your visibility to others. Personally I think it should be required on all personal craft paddles. I wish more people were aware of the SOLAS requirements. As a GMDSS Technician (Global Maritime Distress Safety Systems)  I also fall under the SOLAS regulations..

mikepet

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2022, 08:02:06 AM »

I love the reflective tape idea. Doing this before my next trip in 2 weeks.
Logical1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 11:03:44 AM »

I love the reflective tape idea. Doing this before my next trip in 2 weeks.

Get a roll of the tape, after you do your paddles ( both sides front and back) then do your friends paddles.  It could save their lives someday.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home