June 29, 2022, 07:00:38 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pool noodle hand lines legality?  (Read 491 times)
Elokiden

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2022, 04:50:08 PM »

So I did a little searching, and I see that this topic has been discussed previously the most recent that I can find in 2020. However, it looks like the wording under the DNR Regulations definition of hand line has since changed.
I have previously used something I considered to be hand lines off of my kayak consisting of a length of line 6-10 feet or there abouts with a bait pin and chicken neck on one end and a short section of pool noodle on the other. Now it sounds like this isn't legal anymore? The definition reads as-
(6) "Handline" means an unbuoyed fishing line managed primarily by hand.
I'm imagining the pool noodle is considered a bouy, so are they only allowing hand lines as a baited line tied to a boat or structure?
I usually like to toss out a several of these at various depths to retrieve on the return trip running my trotline. I like to get a feel for how things are running in a spot so I can tweak my trotline depth.
I plan on giving DNR a call, but that always ends up being hit or miss for me, sometimes getting different answers to the same question. Any thoughts?
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 08:42:46 AM »

You're correct.  This was discussed at length on here last week.  A good replacement for handlines on noodles are ringnets. The well made nets like Perfectionists makes do a great job but even the cheapies that you can buy at Walmart will catch crabs.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 08:53:08 AM »

You can get these by the dozen for around $50 from Memphis net.   Very cheaply made but I've had some that have lasted about 5 years.  A 2 or 3 oz weight tied under each one will hold them from moving in most light current and add a cork or wood dowell to hold the 3 strings out of the trap without floating the top ring.  

https://www.memphisnet.net/product/Crab-Net-2-Ring-Sold-by-the-dozen

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
Elokiden

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 07:46:11 AM »

You're correct.  This was discussed at length on here last week.  A good replacement for handlines on noodles are ringnets. The well made nets like Perfectionists makes do a great job but even the cheapies that you can buy at Walmart will catch crabs.

Sorry I missed the newer post in my searching. Thanks for the information 👍

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home