December 14, 2019, 02:05:04 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello guys  (Read 13470 times)
Grooovin42

« on: July 12, 2006, 07:26:03 PM »

Hay guys. My name is rob and im new to the board. A little synopsis of me so u don't think im a total Newb. I live in philadelphia and just graduated from la salle university in may. And i have a house in sea isle city nj. For the last 6 yrs i have opperated a landscaping business in the Phila/outlying areas. I have my licences and insurance for my legit biz. on with my question

I plan to pass the Landscape business to a buddy to run for his summer job next summer as I am entering a local union to become a wiremen. That being said Im looking for a new ventrure and since i love crabs I have decided to read about them and learn the business and start out next summer. Im looking at carolina-skiffs with small evenrude 2strokes. And possibly fabricating a deck for the traps. on the bow using plywood. Therefore i could place the bushells under the traps. Plus it would be a good set up for a trout line.  Im coming in with about 20k cash + credit is good for borrowing money.

Now a couple questions. I researched the trap sizes and realized i want to modify them 1.2 the size to get more traps on board and also to scatter them out to find better fishing grounds. is this a good idea?

2. how long will the crabs stay alive if i wanted to set some strings?
3. My gf and dad are going to run this business for me during the week. and we don't plan to sell to restaurants. Im going to use my bottom floor (wheather he permits me) as the shop.

any help you guys could offer me would be phenominal

thanks in advance.

rob.
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 07:34:35 PM »

Hay guys. My name is rob and im new to the board. A little synopsis of me so u don't think im a total Newb. I live in philadelphia and just graduated from la salle university in may. And i have a house in sea isle city nj. For the last 6 yrs i have opperated a landscaping business in the Phila/outlying areas. I have my licences and insurance for my legit biz. on with my question

I plan to pass the Landscape business to a buddy to run for his summer job next summer as I am entering a local union to become a wiremen. That being said Im looking for a new ventrure and since i love crabs I have decided to read about them and learn the business and start out next summer. Im looking at carolina-skiffs with small evenrude 2strokes. And possibly fabricating a deck for the traps. on the bow using plywood. Therefore i could place the bushells under the traps. Plus it would be a good set up for a trout line.  Im coming in with about 20k cash + credit is good for borrowing money.

Now a couple questions. I researched the trap sizes and realized i want to modify them 1.2 the size to get more traps on board and also to scatter them out to find better fishing grounds. is this a good idea?

2. how long will the crabs stay alive if i wanted to set some strings?
3. My gf and dad are going to run this business for me during the week. and we don't plan to sell to restaurants. Im going to use my bottom floor (wheather he permits me) as the shop.

any help you guys could offer me would be phenominal

thanks in advance.

rob.

Rob,  do not change the size of the pot, this is the best shape.  some people make short pots about 20" high and these dont catch as well.  others make extra large pots and these catch better (but are illegal)

do not put plywood on the front deck.  either buy the factory deck or make one out of fiberglass.  i had a plywood/fiberglass deck and it weighed a ton compared to the rest of the skiff.

a carolina skiff is good for startup, but it is a lot of work.

start slow, dont quit any job unless youve been crabbing and making money for several years.  there are tons of things to learn, and most of them are the hard way. 

It is a good idea to sell them out of a shop, but always have a backup plan for when you catch more than you sell, or the reverse
Just my advice....  good luck   Wink

Grooovin42

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 08:35:04 PM »

Thanks a lot procrabber. Is there another boat that would fit in and around 9-10k? that i should be looking at? Im kinda the brains behind the operation. My buddy is comin in with 10 and im coming in with 10 thats where im getting the cash. Im buying the boat and making the traps.

thank you for your adviece about quitting a job. But i already have 2 and want to have 3 incomes coming in. since me and my gf are very very serious  Shocked ya no? and i love the wooder (phila accent)

any other advice?
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 09:02:18 PM »

Thanks a lot procrabber. Is there another boat that would fit in and around 9-10k? that i should be looking at? Im kinda the brains behind the operation. My buddy is comin in with 10 and im coming in with 10 thats where im getting the cash. Im buying the boat and making the traps.

thank you for your adviece about quitting a job. But i already have 2 and want to have 3 incomes coming in. since me and my gf are very very serious  Shocked ya no? and i love the wooder (phila accent)

any other advice?

Wooder is the way it is properly said, everyone else has the accent  Grin  Want to come for a ride along sometime, I can chew your ear off about why you shouldnt get into the crabbing business  Grin Grin Grin 

Grooovin42

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 09:41:50 PM »

laugh if thats a serious idea absolutely. Well i when i was younger i used to race sunfish (12ft sailboat) and absolutely love the wooder.

If i told you all the melarky im faced with every day you guys would say "o man we live the high life!" I have trained every guy i ever had with all the expertise that i posess from small engine repair to the proper way to lay sod. Give them raises and what do they do? Crash into bmw's and don't tell me until the person calls  Angry . Or put the wrong gas in a 600dollar trimmer  Angry . THESE GUYS ARE COLLEGE KIDS TO. THEY WILL BE RUNNING AMERICA IN A FEW SHORT YEARS. LORD HAD MERCY ON US HA. And don't even get me started on the customers. haha. 

IM right now working 12s every day almost and have been doing so since late april. This weekend i plan to take off and head down the shore for some libations.

but seriously guys tell me what im going to need. and give me some sceneroeos you run into like gunning it at low tide and sucking silt in the engine  Shocked

Grooovin42

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 09:43:39 PM »

Wink
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 09:50:40 PM »

You just got out of school and have $10k to piss away, I mean, invest in a business?  Wow, good for you.  I had to sell blood just for gas money back home when I was finished! laugh

You sound like you have a good work ethic, and that will take you far.  But the wooders gonna show you the hard way that you better have a lot of grass to cut, if you want to eat Wink

Git 'r dun!
Grooovin42

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 10:08:48 PM »

Not piss away. Don't look at it like that. I also understand your skepticism on my money and it's easy to lie about thinks like that to strangers on the internet. Take it for what its worth--->La salle university was upwards of 40k put myself through school no loans just on flat out labor. + i have been in business for 6 years. While my buddies were making quick money selling drugs i was breaking my stones working for a hard honest living and would liek it no other way. A quote my dad has told me because there have been some rough times throughout the 6 years when i was nearly bankrupt ha.
"You have to spend money to make money"

And i don't mind spending money on a positive cause like this. and learn something new. ya now what i mean?
Grooovin42

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 10:10:43 PM »

But the wooders gonna show you the hard way that you better have a lot of grass to cut, if you want to eat Wink

could you fill me in maybe? like what do u mean so i can learn a little about the venture im going to undertake.

ps. you guys can't talk me out of this. i am doing it, however it would be a little easier givin me a few tips.

thank you.

rob.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 10:58:13 PM »

GOOD luck , I hope things work out well for you.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 12:04:44 AM »

You must need a tax write off if you want to go crabbing with no experience, the best tip i can give you is go get a job on a crabbers back deck for a few months, that way you can see if you like it or not,be able to learn a little about it, at least enough to keep you out of trouble with the law and other crabbers

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
redneckshoreboy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 06:40:59 AM »

THESE GUYS ARE COLLEGE KIDS TO. THEY WILL BE RUNNING AMERICA IN A FEW SHORT YEARS. LORD HAD MERCY ON US

Well lets hope a few will gain common since as they age Grin

Invest you $10,000 in a IRA or something....anything but crabing  Wink....

and your gonna use traps?

A saying my father use to say...."You can't [bull dung] a bullshitter".  Wink

Grooovin42

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 07:02:09 AM »

ok well you guys are of no help. I will jsut take it one step at a time.
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 07:26:49 AM »

groovin, that is all we have been telling you.  take it slow.  buy an old used boat, untuil you pay off for it, then buy a newer one.  buy old pots until you pay them off, etc etc.  the people who left you comments probably have a combined 100 years of experience, all telling you go slow, dont spend tht much money.. etc  if you want to do a ride along, send me an email [email protected]

redneckshoreboy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 07:34:37 AM »

1. If its pots your talking about you can not do this part time, and run two other Business...
2. Also a skiff won't get it done either....you have to pot in the bay, and not the river....You will need a workboat....You may find a fixxer upper for $20,000 Then you will need a slip, and I hope you know someone their that will call you and tell you your boat is taking on water at 12 at night.
3. Pots run $25 and up.... Don't even try it unless you plan on fishing 250
4. Were do you plan on crabbing? You will need a Commercial licence...Here In MD they run 10,000 and up for a TFL with 300 pots.
5. Keep in mind you have to fish these pots every day regardless of wind, rain or anything else that might come up.
6. Do not think that just because you set a pot that you will catch crabs.
7. I have not begun to fill your ear with how hard it is on the WOODER.
8. Go with Procrabber just once....He will change your mind I bet.

Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 09:23:15 AM »

could you fill me in maybe? like what do u mean so i can learn a little about the venture im going to undertake.

ps. you guys can't talk me out of this. i am doing it, however it would be a little easier givin me a few tips.

thank you.

rob.

Man, I thought a guy from LaSalle would be much smarter than this! laugh laugh  Ok, just kidding.  Sort of Undecided laugh

Assuming you have or can even get a TFL for pots, your first 10k is gone just like that.  So the first 100 bushels you catch will pay for that.  Maybe.  Or maybe you'll get $10/bushel like the guys down in VA earlier this season.  That is, if you can get a realiable buyer who won't give you a bunch of [shiz].  I have no idea what type of water experience you have, but my guess is you have a lot to learn.  Get up at 2:00 am, go down to your boat with all the bait you had to buy at a high price, head out into the darkness trying to find a little float thrashing around in 25knts of wind and rain, that is, if the pot is still there, or maybe some big motorboat cut through through your lines.... there's another $200 down the toilet.  What happens when the boat breaks down?  Its not a lawnmower, can you fix it?  Can you afford the gas or diesel even to run the boat at $3.51 dockside?

Fuel, bait, breakdowns, insurance, slip fees, theft, loss of gear, days you can't go out due to weather, low market prices, influx of foreign crabs, RECREATIONAL CRABBERS with gear everywhere telling you to get out of their way, confusing laws and fines from DNR, etc, etc, etc, and etc. Angry Angry

Like everyone said, don't put all your eggs in one basket.  Go slow.  Make good decisions.  Don't expect to make anything, let alone a fortune.  I do it part time, when I have time, and just try to make a few $ to cover expenses.  I would do what RD said.... just to get your feet wet on thsi whole deal  first, before you go buying all sorts of stuff.

Good luck with whatever you decide.  There are a lot of knowledge people on this board to help you out. 
 Smiley
But keep in mind, there are plenty of reasons why commercial crabbers are selling their businesses. Cool Wink

Git 'r dun!
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 09:38:50 AM »

Seaweed

You forgot one thing, you can put all that time and equipment and bait out but it doesn't guarantee one crab.  There will always be lawns but you won't be guaranteed a catch on the water no matter how hard you work or the quality of work you put out.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 09:41:12 AM »

Got that right D, or you find that somebody has helped themselves to your crabs  Cry

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 10:03:54 AM »

Got that right D, or you find that somebody has helped themselves to your crabs  Cry

your right RD..or worse yet, helped themselves to you equipment.  there a lot at stake out there and you won't make a killing by being a waterman.  it's something that has to be in your blood and you don't care if you even make a dollar or two.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Grooovin42

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 10:25:49 AM »

While their is a lull in the action because of rain. Ill post back to you guys.

First off I am a la salle guy and a business man. I do understand what you guys speak of with harsh conditions and don't mean to insult any of you (if i did) We are all trying to make a living doing what we know best.

Thanks for the tips. Finding a used boat would be a good idea rather then going head stong into it. As for the pots I intend on making them. As for my experience I worked back in 8th grade---> soph summer working as a guide down in sea isle for shoobies. Worked for Sunset pier and took tourists or terrorists around looking for crab and flounder. So i know the local wooderways pretty well. It was the best job i have ever had and loved it. Pulling pots and not catching anything is a risk im willing to take ya no? I apreciate your words of wisdom and understand how hard it is going to be to run 2 businesses. BUt i welcome the opportunity to learn a new skill. Im 23 and i have the world by the tail why not go for it ya no? Ps my dad is about to retire and he loves to fish (anything) so im figuring this will get him away from my mom ha. and make him some money.

should i start out with a recreational licence? then see how it works out and then decided to go commercial? With a recreational licence can i still sell crab?

Do most of you crab with one boat? or do you have a fleet crabbing for you? (guys in the business omre then 10 yrs)

Or should i can the whole idea and catch bait fish and sell that? bear with me im trying to learn as much about this business as i can.

thank you guys so much for you input.

Rob.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home