September 23, 2018, 08:24:38 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello guys  (Read 12940 times)
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2006, 11:43:42 AM »

there are lots of upsides to being a waterman too,I'm going to work at 11:30 today because of the tide, but i will work till dark,truck that picks up the crabs wont be here till after midnight. This young man just needs to go with a waterman to see the ups and downs,I can't think of a worse business to get into if you are starting with no experience or equipment.It's only my knowledge of the fishery and the fact that i know my local waters better than anybody thats out here that keeps me in crabs, the competition is tough

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2006, 11:49:00 AM »

Down here most everybody has at least 2 boats, if it is just the business end of it you are looking at then maybe for a while you need to buy and sell crabs,and that is part of crabbing too, you still have to sell them after catching

- John Wayne
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2006, 12:11:40 PM »

While their is a lull in the action because of rain. Ill post back to you guys.

First off I am a la salle guy and a business man. I do understand what you guys speak of with harsh conditions and don't mean to insult any of you (if i did) We are all trying to make a living doing what we know best.

Thanks for the tips. Finding a used boat would be a good idea rather then going head stong into it. As for the pots I intend on making them. As for my experience I worked back in 8th grade---> soph summer working as a guide down in sea isle for shoobies. Worked for Sunset pier and took tourists or terrorists around looking for crab and flounder. So i know the local wooderways pretty well. It was the best job i have ever had and loved it. Pulling pots and not catching anything is a risk im willing to take ya no? I apreciate your words of wisdom and understand how hard it is going to be to run 2 businesses. BUt i welcome the opportunity to learn a new skill. Im 23 and i have the world by the tail why not go for it ya no? Ps my dad is about to retire and he loves to fish (anything) so im figuring this will get him away from my mom ha. and make him some money.

should i start out with a recreational licence? then see how it works out and then decided to go commercial? With a recreational licence can i still sell crab?

Do most of you crab with one boat? or do you have a fleet crabbing for you? (guys in the business omre then 10 yrs)

Or should i can the whole idea and catch bait fish and sell that? bear with me im trying to learn as much about this business as i can.

thank you guys so much for you input.

Rob.

I've been crabbing since I was 3, and I still don't know [shiz].  I don't think "ya know" enough to even get started.  No you absolutely cannot sell crabs with a recreational license.  And its going to take a lot of $ and knowing the right people in the right places to get the license you're talking about.  So you know how long it will take you to make 300 pots or so?  Probably all of the first crabbing season.  And thats time away from the million other things you be doing like fixing your boat and gear.

Look man, I'm not saying don't do it.  I admire your spirit and dedication, and lots of very successful businesses started on, and continue to thrive on, that spirit.  But you're asking a lot of questions that indicate you have no idea what you're in for.  I'd hate to see you piss away you're hard earned cash on a fairytale dream... cause the taxman doesn't give a [shiz] about your dream...... ya know? Smiley

Grass cutting is gonna look like sunday school compared to this laugh laugh laugh

Git 'r dun!
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2006, 12:14:27 PM »

Seaweed

You forgot one thing, you can put all that time and equipment and bait out but it doesn't guarantee one crab.  There will always be lawns but you won't be guaranteed a catch on the water no matter how hard you work or the quality of work you put out.

You got it.  A buddy of mine put out 4200 of trotline last week... 3 crabs all day.  a week earlier... 3 bushels in 2 hours.  So on his 3 crab day, he worked on his boat and put in a new steering cable that broke.... $150.  Thats what we call and negative cash flow! Sad Sad

Git 'r dun!
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2006, 12:32:02 PM »

[

Grass cutting is gonna look like sunday school compared to this laugh laugh laugh
Seaweed i have had 2 different block and brick layers who begged me for a job,tired of all that "hard work" in the heat,they lasted 2 days each,figured out slinging mud wasn't so bad after all,  Roll Eyes

- John Wayne

Grooovin42

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2006, 12:48:26 PM »

I will make it work. end of story.

thanks for the responses.
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2006, 01:03:18 PM »

Good luck and god bless.

Stick around in case I need some landscaping laugh laugh

Git 'r dun!
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2006, 01:05:50 PM »

Good luck,That "I will" is the dedication needed, "I'm going to try" wont cut it

- John Wayne
Grooovin42

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2006, 02:27:53 PM »

Good luck and god bless.

Stick around in case I need some landscaping laugh laugh

I would love to do work for you. Maybe you could work for me someday  Grin
ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2006, 02:47:03 PM »

......groovin, most of these guys spend more time on the puter than they claim on the water!!! LOL, Just kidd'n. Anyway, as someone has said before, I admire youR will and ambition as well. You will make a fine crabber, owner and operator and look forward to hearing of your success.
Thanks,
ChrisS

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty

redneckshoreboy

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2006, 02:50:09 PM »

Good Luck!!.......Call us when you make your first Million  Grin
Grooovin42

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2006, 12:43:26 AM »

Good Luck!!.......Call us when you make your first Million  Grin

Wink
fisheyed

It gets in the blood

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2006, 01:01:05 PM »

I am of a similar age as your self and am in grad school.  What happened to that serious gf.  With 2 jobs and this new venture wouldn't puting the 10g's in to an investment and not a liability be a better way to go, make the money work for you not you work for the money.  I would be thinking of an investment that doesn't take 60hrs a week so you can spent time at home.  Stick with what you know and are aparently very good at.  I know a few people who turned landscaping into their first million.  Besides time = money.  As much as I think that I would love fishing or crabing for a living I know that the money comes elsewhere.  Also why be so combative?  If your going to go through with this you need all the advice you can get.
crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

awww geeeez....another one

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2006, 01:01:33 PM »

G42...You get one go round in life...so go round the way you want..Some like vanilla, some like chocolate.. some don't care for either..but they're all set to tell you which is best for you..... Wink Grab er by the balls and ride the [Sam Hill] out of it...... Wink Grin wishin' you the very best in your endeavor!!!!!!!!!!! Cool If I can help, get me afor' the devil does Grin Grin laugh

"CHESAPEAKE FEVER" catch it and you'll know "WYE"
redneckshoreboy

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2006, 02:18:27 PM »

crabbygramps ....I have done as you say all my life.......Jump into the water head first, not knowing the depth.....its been fun.....I have learned alot.....but dam has it cost me..... Cry.....Had to find out my own hard way.. Wink

Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2006, 06:01:32 PM »

Hey man IF you can find a commercial License in NJ since they do not issue any more just like MD. You are going to pay a pretty peny for one. I would tell you to buy a cheap boat and put a good motor on it 4 stroke not 2 (not good business sense since youll spend the difference in fuel this year) I would then just trotline for the first year again you can recoup your investment in your gear in a day if its a good day. Invest the money you make crabbing into your materials to build pots build them over the winter come spring run a few pots then when the crabs are running good stow your pots and go back to trotlining. With the 20k you have to invest it should take 4-5 years to get where you sound like you want to be.

Gary

I now have a list.
crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

awww geeeez....another one

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2006, 07:39:14 PM »

Good advice Gary..at least it's not negative... Grin oh....tell"chunky monkey" CG said "Hi"..

"CHESAPEAKE FEVER" catch it and you'll know "WYE"
Grooovin42

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2006, 11:01:15 PM »

I am of a similar age as your self and am in grad school.  What happened to that serious gf.  With 2 jobs and this new venture wouldn't puting the 10g's in to an investment and not a liability be a better way to go, make the money work for you not you work for the money.  I would be thinking of an investment that doesn't take 60hrs a week so you can spent time at home.  Stick with what you know and are aparently very good at.  I know a few people who turned landscaping into their first million.  Besides time = money.  As much as I think that I would love fishing or crabing for a living I know that the money comes elsewhere.  Also why be so combative?  If your going to go through with this you need all the advice you can get.

Hay thank you for your input. THe gf and i are thinking about the big dance. She will be working food marketing for Nabisco come December and i will be working (hopefully) as a wiremen, so we will have 3 incomes coming in. And i do appreciate your comment regarding "make your money work for you" don't work for your money." well i agree to a certain point with this. BUT I love to work with my hands and i love to get dirty. I love taking risks. and like rounders quote says. "You can't win whatcha don't put in the middle" (o i like to gamble to by the way. AC once a week) But ya since Ive been a young boy I've always been an entrepreneur by catching minnows on docks and selling it to them to catching rock crab and selling them as bait for stripers. God made me to try new things not get in routines. But thanks for your input.

and thank you to the rest of you guys. i have been learning a lot about the lifestyle and business form reading about this.
Grooovin42

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2006, 11:05:31 PM »

Hey man IF you can find a commercial License in NJ since they do not issue any more just like MD. You are going to pay a pretty peny for one. I would tell you to buy a cheap boat and put a good motor on it 4 stroke not 2 (not good business sense since youll spend the difference in fuel this year) I would then just trotline for the first year again you can recoup your investment in your gear in a day if its a good day. Invest the money you make crabbing into your materials to build pots build them over the winter come spring run a few pots then when the crabs are running good stow your pots and go back to trotlining. With the 20k you have to invest it should take 4-5 years to get where you sound like you want to be.

Gary

Thank you. Thats what im talking about. Right on. Thanks a lot GECK. If you can offer anymore advice my email is [email protected] Anyone if you wanna maybe shoot me an email you're more then welcome to thank you.
rock n crab
In Memoriam 11/2016

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2006, 07:21:28 AM »

G42, instead of buying hte commercial license try the recreational route for a season, you'll gather lots of gear and get a good taste of whats involved.... If you enjoy it you can look into a 90 day transfer of a commercial license if you can find a license holder willing to do this for you...... Lots of foolks have the license and don't use them, they can make some cash with transfer and you can in turn sell your catch......
As others have said, work your way into it slowly.....

there's always the Spprenticeship program that DNR has.... look into it.

20' SeaMark CC 90HP Honda

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home