September 19, 2018, 08:28:53 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello guys  (Read 12930 times)
cw4340

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2006, 02:03:05 AM »

GROOOVIN  rite now if plan on crabbin in nj it ani,t happen cause as it stands now its a limited entry aka closed lic and we can,t sell it ya ever think about buyin crabs and huskterin might be the way to go Huh but you think these guys givin you bad  advice  your not payin attenion this ani,t no third income job fishin is a poor your heart in to it and make alivin kind of job and thats just it a livin get a good union job  or work harder at your landscapein buss get big .like rd said unless you need a good tax write off  Wink laugh laugh laugh laugh
horsefly
Lifetime Member

Sunrise in Bath, NC

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2006, 08:37:17 PM »

Groovin, here's my little two cents. I know MD's laws and reg etc. differ slighty from ours(NC) but the attitude from dealers and other full time comms is brutal. Crabbing bus. is no hope to get rich and retire stuff maybe back in the 80's early 90's when crabs any crabs for that matter were like gold. Now you can have a mkt. one day a lay day the next and watch the bottom fall out on the price. Guys down here crabbing a big chunk of their lives have had to quit and sell out or part time it with a full time job. fuel prices since 9/11 and then Katrina have sky rocketed along with bait. You could catch your own but need a darn big and good freezer. Down here in order to "make it" you've got to be diverse in your operation. Meaning, having a boat(s) that could handle river and to bay winds from 0-35+ being able to pull pots gotta have a stout puller, net reel(s) oyster dredge etc. work about 300 days out of the year. (on the water) the other is spent mending gear and wounds. Some guys actually pull about 600-800 pots a day. my father in-law has about 900  brother in-law about 1200 my kids work as strikers for other guys with no real big desire to o/o stuff they know the risks. I've done this stuff for 20 years thats crabbed, processed and dealt crabs wholesale to resturants in Balt/DC. My two cents is invest in some more mowers maybe a IRA or a bunch of mega mill lotto's, but leave this bus for the guys who've already broke their backs (literaly) for a living.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home