August 11, 2022, 09:17:29 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LCC bushel limits start Aug 1  (Read 1046 times)
Jim Bright

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2022, 06:31:11 PM »

Just left DNR's virtual Blue Crab Industry Advisory meeting. First one I have attended. I hold an LCC so I thought it would be worthwhile for me to sit through it and listen. If you have an LCC you should try to attend these in the future so you can speak during the public comment period. 
Based on what I saw, the committee unanimously voted yes for option 6, with two exceptions:
1. CB9 would be reduced to 15 bushel for Aug and Sept, instead of 16
2. The male season would be extended until the end of November, instead of closing Nov 15.

Other people on here may have been in the meeting, not sure. About 35 people attended. This sounds like a done deal though. Supposed to be announced around July 1, if I heard right.

As far as recreational limits, I'm not sure. That was not discussed in this meeting in any detail.

Jim Bright

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 06:36:50 PM »

Here's the committee's page

https://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/Pages/blue-crab/members.aspx
lone sailor

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 02:55:29 PM »

Thanks for posting this information, anything on the female harvest? Wanted to make the meeting but was working too late. If an LCC is cut to 4 then they definitely need to cut the rec back to 1 and enforce it.
Jim Bright

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 06:34:19 PM »

I was told the Blue Crab Industry advisory committee doesn't deal with recreational harvest.

My first impression of the committee was that it is made up of 100 percent crab potters, all TFL 3, 6, or 900 pot. During public comment I asked the full committee if anyone held an LCC and no one on the committee claimed to, and only one member commented that he speaks to LCC holders, and that was Mr. Powley in Dorchester. So I was grateful to hear that some of them are reaching out to guys like me.

It was also very clear to me that DNR is, at least in my mind, targeting LCC holders because LCCs outnumber all other license types. So I really hope in the future more LCC guys line up for public comment or speak to county watermen associations. I also hope the meetings are more transparent. Nothing about the two in June felt transparent to me.

indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 06:46:14 AM »

Maybe the DNR needs to fix the real issue. The pollution. Their winter dredge report is worthless and their new regs never seem to help. Im not a commercial guy but with high gas, more regs and bad information. There will be no commercial crabbers left. Not many people are going to be willing to pay $400 for a bushel of crabs. I heard people say they might have to eat lobster because it's cheaper and that is not far from the truth. They keep adding new regs but the population keeps going down. So the problem is somewhere else or there is bad information. Maybe both. They need to think of other things that might be the issue and not doing the same thing over and over again.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!

Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 04:26:09 PM »

Maybe the DNR needs to fix the real issue. The pollution. Their winter dredge report is worthless and their new regs never seem to help. Im not a commercial guy but with high gas, more regs and bad information. There will be no commercial crabbers left. Not many people are going to be willing to pay $400 for a bushel of crabs. I heard people say they might have to eat lobster because it's cheaper and that is not far from the truth. They keep adding new regs but the population keeps going down. So the problem is somewhere else or there is bad information. Maybe both. They need to think of other things that might be the issue and not doing the same thing over and over again.

pretty sure the problem is somewhere else. I posted this a couple of weeks ago:

I honestly believe it has more to do with environmental conditions outside of the bay..  After the hatch, the larvae are carried out of the bay and remain in offshore waters for about 2 weeks before returning to the bay waters.  Upon returning, they are well on the way to becoming a crab that we recognize. This is what is called recruitment.

Here is what few speak of and what, in my opinion, is the cause of poor recruitment to the Chesapeake Bay crab population.  The first several stages of blue crab development are free floating, meaning that they are subject to the ebb and flow of currents and tides.  When the larvae are supposed to return to the bay, and coastal currents are running north or south at the mouth of the bay, it only makes sense that these free floating future crabs go with it. Hence poor recruitment to the Chesapeake and good recruitment in the areas north and/or south of the bay.

Environmental conditions at the mouth of the bay need to be absolutely perfect for the pre crabs to return to us  Given that Blue Crabs are prolific breeders, and that they mate in cycles, eggs are released in cycles also.  Millions upon millions of eggs are washed out of the bay and subjected to the coastal currents.  One "perfect" year and the population will rebound.

For more info on the life cycle of the Blue Crab, scroll to the bottom of any page on this website.  There you will find a small blue crab icon located in the center of the page. Click it and the world of the Blue Crab will open. ( Thanks Steve!!!)  Or click the link below.

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
Logan57
Lifetime Member

Crabs-from Logan Logan575757

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 06:51:32 PM »

I have written and deleted and rewritten this response at least 3 time now.
In short, I believe they are going about this very wrong. I believe the powers that regulate use the dredge report to drive an agenda. I believe someone up top knows the dredge report is on reflective of the crabs that got caught up stream by falling water Temps. That a longer fall season  let's them follow the warmer water south and out of the bay. That a short fall season will make MAKE more crabs mud in before getting out of the bay. I believe a poor dredge report allows for early season price hikes. I believe early season prices hikes help those who catch crabs in the early season. I KNOW FOR A FACT, GHOST POTS are nothing but crab killing devices that are self baiting from the first week they don't get checked.

As much as id live to not be involved, I believe we need to stand together and somehow make our voices heard.

Also, I'm not trying to ruffled anyones feathers and get all heated on here. Just stating a few thing I believe.

Masters in Redneck Engineering.
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 09:33:41 PM »

new regs will not fix this problem. in the past they started the bu limits on sooks because they didn't know what else to do. it didn t work all the regs from the past are still in place and when they don;t work they don't remove them and thats what will happen with the male bu lmits.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 07:19:51 AM »

I KNOW FOR A FACT, GHOST POTS are nothing but crab killing devices that are self baiting from the first week they don't get checked.

That's a fact?  Have participated in the ghost pot recovery program?  You couldn't be more wrong. 

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
Jim Bright

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2022, 08:02:49 AM »

Ghost post recovery seems like a good program. Ghost pots didnt come up at the meeting. DNR will always use regs to manage natural resources. They will also rely on the dredge survey. Those things will never change. What does seem negotiable to some extent, based on that meeting, is the bushel limits per license type and season dates.

DNR is relying on the "industry" represented by that committee to advise them how best to reach its management goals using bushel limits and season dates. Part of my point for this post was to let the LCC holders on here know that even though they make up the majority of commercial license holders not a single person on the committee at that meeting held an LCC. The members of that committee are not categorized by license they hold just what gear they say they use. For example, the one W Shore guy sounded like a crab potter to me but was listed as a trotliner. If bushel limits will continue to be divided by license type the committee should not continue to include only crab potters with TFL 3-900 pot allocations. Mike Luisi congratulated the committee and "industry" at the end of the meeting for coming to a consensus. If that committee was full of LCC holders they would have come to a consensus too!

In the lower bay many commercial crabbers who trotline and hold an LCC are catching #2s and with only 4 bushel allowed for August and September I would expect some just won't crab at all or quit altogether, which I expect is DNRs goal. I would also bet it will have an effect on crab prices. Some might also choose to travel up the bay to target #1s.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 08:16:26 AM by Jim Bright » Logged

Logan57
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2022, 03:24:47 PM »

That's a fact?  Have participated in the ghost pot recovery program?  You couldn't be more wrong. 
no I haven't. But because of boat failure and a few month wait until I had anything to crab from other then my 14ft that pots left unattended catch alot of crabs that do get harvested. They just die there and become bait. We know there are alot of pots lost every year. All they do is catch and kill. Those crabs although caught don't get reported as caught. But they are gone. Maybe I'm not wording my ideas right. Maybe since I don't have written and logged data I shouldn't have used the word "FACT". I also understand this topic is much like voting. If you aren't physically involved in trying to make things better , there isn't much griping we are aloud to do. And no I don't really have a solution in mind that would probably do any good. I'm just grumpy about being told what to do and probably shouldn't have opened my mouth. No disrespect to potters or anyone making food money on the water. Happy Fathersday guys!

Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 05:52:47 PM »

no I haven't. But because of boat failure and a few month wait until I had anything to crab from other then my 14ft that pots left unattended catch alot of crabs that do get harvested. They just die there and become bait. We know there are alot of pots lost every year. All they do is catch and kill. Those crabs although caught don't get reported as caught. But they are gone. Maybe I'm not wording my ideas right. Maybe since I don't have written and logged data I shouldn't have used the word "FACT". I also understand this topic is much like voting. If you aren't physically involved in trying to make things better , there isn't much griping we are aloud to do. And no I don't really have a solution in mind that would probably do any good. I'm just grumpy about being told what to do and probably shouldn't have opened my mouth. No disrespect to potters or anyone making food money on the water. Happy Fathersday guys!

I'm a big advocate for leaving old pots in the water.  If you notice, dirty pots don't catch.  That's why potters power wash or hot dip every day, because squeaky clean pots catch.  Further, pots allow spat a place to begin growing and small fish a place to hide.  Eventually they degrade to nothing.  But I've pulled up old pots so covered in spat you couldn't see through it.  I've done ghost pot recovery in two areas of the bay.  I hooked on to an underwater line of pots that had 14 pots on it from that year and they didn't have one crab.  In fact, out of all of the pots I've found, which was around 40, there were only 3 crabs. 

Logan57
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2022, 07:05:00 AM »

I don't know how you have seen so few crabs. Whatvtime of year are you doing the recovery? The 25 of my 40 that I was able to recover had almost 3 bushels of nasty black and huge crabs. That was a soak from early may to mid October. And dirty pots catch. Just not nearly as well as clean ones. I'll never be convinced that leaving trash on the bottom is better for the environment. A place for a little fish to hide is the same device that a big fish gets stuck in the funnel of and dies.
I don't have a solution and this subjects is going to make us fight amongst each other. That's not what we need at all.

reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2022, 05:33:44 PM »

I'm a big advocate for leaving old pots in the water.  If you notice, dirty pots don't catch.  That's why potters power wash or hot dip every day, because squeaky clean pots catch.  Further, pots allow spat a place to begin growing and small fish a place to hide.  Eventually they degrade to nothing.  But I've pulled up old pots so covered in spat you couldn't see through it.  I've done ghost pot recovery in two areas of the bay.  I hooked on to an underwater line of pots that had 14 pots on it from that year and they didn't have one crab.  In fact, out of all of the pots I've found, which was around 40, there were only 3 crabs.  

Ray and I spent a week on crab pot recovery. I don't remember the amount of pots recovered but around 5 were able to be used again. The rest were just pieces.

What stuck in my mind, that it quieted the big mouths who kept saying the pots were killing alot of crabs. The amount recovered was no where near what the experts said would be there.
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2022, 07:02:50 PM »

So has this proposal been adopted?  I see options but not heard a definitive:  This is what will happen and when… .

If someone knows with certainty please provide specifics or link to the specifics.  Would be greatly appreciated.

Logan57
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2022, 04:19:03 AM »

Ray and I spent a week on crab pot recovery. I don't remember the amount of pots recovered but around 5 were able to be used again. The rest were just pieces.

What stuck in my mind, that it quieted the big mouths who kept saying the pots were killing alot of crabs. The amount recovered was no where near what the experts said would be there.
That's great. Ray already said hes only pulled 40 pots in 2 years. Just doesn't add up. Are you guys potters or trotliners?

Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2022, 05:20:04 AM »

That's great. Ray already said hes only pulled 40 pots in 2 years. Just doesn't add up. Are you guys potters or trotliners?
I've pulled about 40 whole pots during the ghost pot recovery but not every pot was in fishable condition but even the ones that were did not have crabs.

SlickCam

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2022, 06:21:04 AM »

Stabilizer, it will be option 6 but they will be extending season to Nov 30th instead of the 15th. In order to add that extension they may need to play with bushel #'s... i.e. CB9 limit may need to drop to 15 so LCC's can stay at 4. Final details and recreational changes should be out by July 1 I believe.
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2022, 09:09:15 AM »

Stabilizer, it will be option 6 but they will be extending season to Nov 30th instead of the 15th. In order to add that extension they may need to play with bushel #'s... i.e. CB9 limit may need to drop to 15 so LCC's can stay at 4. Final details and recreational changes should be out by July 1 I believe.
SlickCam, Much appreciated, thank you. 

IMO, the rest of this pissing contest can be flushed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home