July 01, 2022, 06:45:07 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Trip of the Year on my Ascent 10T  (Read 321 times)
Delaware Outdoors

Son of Discover.

DelawareOutdoor

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2022, 03:58:21 PM »

Finally got out after buying the new kayak late last summer. Was such a toss up to get a paddle or peddle drive kayak but I went with a paddle sit on top Ascend 10T. As a shorter thinner dude, I love it. This was my first trip crabbing on it, but for fishing I'm able to stand for long periods of time and have yet to have a moment where it feels unsafe. I ran 10 perfectionist ring traps, after lurking on the site for years and reading about how great they are I picked up 10 this winter and man did they work great.

I caught 18-20 keeper crabs in about 3 hours including an hour of slack tide, my dad picked up about 8-10 from his jon boat. I used a 10g bucket to cull the crabs, had a bushel basket secured behind my seat with another crate up at the front of the kayak for misc. gear and the cooler. I need to find a better way to store tongs and a measuring stick. If anyone has suggestions for what they like to use for quick to access storage please let me know. I have some strong velcro that seems to last 2-3 trips then start to peel off and used a little open top storage container attached there. I like to drill the least amount of holes into my kayak as possible. I do enjoy sharing my fishing and crabbing trips on my youtube and tend to be inconsistent with posting on here, let me know what you think of the video below!

Logical1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 07:58:31 PM »

If you look close in this picture, you can see the notch that arti0972 cut into his milk crate to use as his gauge.

There's no place like roam!
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 03:23:57 PM »

It was a fun trip. And I miss Adam. Great to see a picture of him.
Logical1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 03:50:32 PM »

It was a fun trip. And I miss Adam. Great to see a picture of him.
I got my Delaware fishing and crabbing license this year along with Marylands.  Gonna have to do some road trips

Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 05:41:59 PM »

That was a great idea Adam had cutting a measure in the milk crate.     

In the past I have floated my keeper basket anchored at the end of my trotline. I keep a measure and tongs tied together on top of the basket.  Works good until you get about 1/2 a basket then they start getting out when you take the lid off.     

Not the best picture but maybe you can see enough to get the idea.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.

daddyneedscoffee
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 09:24:25 AM »

I made this basket lid with galvanized mesh.  It prevents the crabs from crawling up the side of the basket. I cover it with some wet burlap. It works ok until you have a full basket, which I have never achieved!  Undecided
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 09:39:48 AM »

I made this basket lid with galvanized mesh.  It prevents the crabs from crawling up the side of the basket. I cover it with some wet burlap. It works ok until you have a full basket, which I have never achieved!  Undecided

Good idea.  That's what makes this site good.  Somebody's always got a fix to the problem.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
Logical1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 11:30:17 AM »

This how arti0972 had his, wire top on a plastic clothes basket with a trap door in the center of the top. Large pool noodles on all four sides keep it afloat. Add a small anchor or float with line to stage it in a shallow area 3-9 ft and your good.  

moc
Lifetime Member

Machburner

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 08:42:53 AM »

Finally got out after buying the new kayak late last summer. Was such a toss up to get a paddle or peddle drive kayak but I went with a paddle sit on top Ascend 10T. As a shorter thinner dude, I love it. This was my first trip crabbing on it, but for fishing I'm able to stand for long periods of time and have yet to have a moment where it feels unsafe. I ran 10 perfectionist ring traps, after lurking on the site for years and reading about how great they are I picked up 10 this winter and man did they work great.

I caught 18-20 keeper crabs in about 3 hours including an hour of slack tide, my dad picked up about 8-10 from his jon boat. I used a 10g bucket to cull the crabs, had a bushel basket secured behind my seat with another crate up at the front of the kayak for misc. gear and the cooler. I need to find a better way to store tongs and a measuring stick. If anyone has suggestions for what they like to use for quick to access storage please let me know. I have some strong velcro that seems to last 2-3 trips then start to peel off and used a little open top storage container attached there. I like to drill the least amount of holes into my kayak as possible. I do enjoy sharing my fishing and crabbing trips on my youtube and tend to be inconsistent with posting on here, let me know what you think of the video below!

Good job on the crabbing from your kayak!  Thanks for sharing....and yes Art has been missed.

MOC a.k.a. "Machburner"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home