November 28, 2022, 10:49:58 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Indian River crabbing report - 6/10/22  (Read 1432 times)
crabbyrick
Lifetime Member

Indian River Blue Gold...

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2022, 09:52:00 PM »

Perfect weather, river calm as glass, not many crustations to report however. Found an open spot  down near power plant-ish. 5'-8' water, 75-76 degree water. 500' trot line, 2 pots on overnight soak. 12 nice BBB's(big beautiful boys) on line and 4 in pot(s). Pulled first pot up and line broke. Ugg, slug in a ditch. Tried finding with sonar and hanging off the side with hook...no luck. Awesome. So smallest guys were 5-1/4", most 5-3/4" - 6" and heavy.  Story so far this year. 6th trip out total count = 76. Horrible season so far. Not gonna meat the quota at this rate. Last year was lowest count in the last 11 years(835), but seems we're heading to lower that awesome record this year. FYI - best season was 2015(1,741) and 1,532 in 2014. 12,061 since 2011 if anybody likes statistics like I do, just saying. Hopefully gets better but if not, still better than working 🤣. CBC them boys and bag em up. Try again tomorrow, and Sunday and Monday

Be safe, keep em' legal & don't raid my pots!
Crabber_Kohr
Supporting Member

krabbykohr

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 08:28:29 AM »

Thanks for the report, hate to hear that about the pot.  I've had traps do that on poor lines.  I rig up all my pots with #8 main lines.  People that have been coming into the store has been asking how IR has been doing but I haven't heard to many reports.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 12:11:23 PM »

Perfect weather, river calm as glass, not many crustations to report however. Found an open spot  down near power plant-ish. 5'-8' water, 75-76 degree water. 500' trot line, 2 pots on overnight soak. 12 nice BBB's(big beautiful boys) on line and 4 in pot(s). Pulled first pot up and line broke. Ugg, slug in a ditch. Tried finding with sonar and hanging off the side with hook...no luck. Awesome. So smallest guys were 5-1/4", most 5-3/4" - 6" and heavy.  Story so far this year. 6th trip out total count = 76. Horrible season so far. Not gonna meat the quota at this rate. Last year was lowest count in the last 11 years(835), but seems we're heading to lower that awesome record this year. FYI - best season was 2015(1,741) and 1,532 in 2014. 12,061 since 2011 if anybody likes statistics like I do, just saying. Hopefully gets better but if not, still better than working 🤣. CBC them boys and bag em up. Try again tomorrow, and Sunday and Monday

I keep a good sized treble hook on my boat.  (Something like they use on Swamp People)  I've retrieved a couple lost traps over the year's.  The first time I tried  I had lost the trap on a prior trip when I didn't have the treble.  I had marked a waypoint near the loss when the line broke. Went back with big treble I bought at Bass Pro and followed the electronic trail near the way point dragging the treble.  Took a few passes but the treble found it. 

I've used it looking for fishing lures lost on wood and have been successful a few times with that too. Pulls up whole limb that lure is snagged on...

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
backbaybob72

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 08:10:14 AM »

Been awhile since I posted reports, but crabbing still good. Most trot liners coming in with full baskets or more, with some really nice crabs 6 and up . Water is cooling off fast and cooler temperatures coming this week may slow them down

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home