June 25, 2022, 02:45:04 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6/19/22 Not too far South Eastern Shore River  (Read 1338 times)
shtoong
Supporting Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2022, 02:35:43 PM »

Decided to go early Sunday and beat the wind. We launched at 6:30 a.m. and had a 600 ft line baited with necks laid by 7:15 a.m. Also had 7 ring traps with bunker and chicken. Laid the line in a similar spot that produced last time in 8 to 4 ft. The tide was incoming for part of the morning and would turn around 9. Water temp was 77 to 79 degrees. First run of the line produced 2 crabs. I also saw one drop off. Every run there after I caught from 1 to 5 crabs per run. The traps were moved around to 6 different spots, all in the 5 to 8 ft range. They only ended up catching 8 of the 58 crabs caught. We caught around 10 sooks and 6 undersize jimmies. Also saw 3 doublers. On our last run of the line at 11:45 I pulled the hook out where I keep it with the net. The net pulled out also and quickly fell out the back of the boat to disappear into the chocolatey water. This was the first mishap for us in a while. Not wanting to abort our last run, we started thinking of way to Macgyver a net. Lightbulb went off, I held a ring net at the base of the prop stick to land our final two crabs. Sucks to lose an 80.00 net, but sweet to catch those last two.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 04:29:54 PM »

Sorry you lost your net.  I have a pool noodle on mine.   It'll float the aluminum handle nets.  It  doesn't float the big wood handle net but it will keep the handle sticking up above 6' water...

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
shtoong
Supporting Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 06:54:53 PM »

Sorry you lost your net.  I have a pool noodle on mine.   It'll float the aluminum handle nets.  It  doesn't float the big wood handle net but it will keep the handle sticking up above 6' water...
Thanks. I thought about filling the handle with foam. A day late a dollar short. Looking for the right replacement now.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 07:29:27 PM by shtoong » Logged
shtoong
Supporting Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 06:58:49 PM »

Sorry you lost your net.  I have a pool noodle on mine.   It'll float the aluminum handle nets.  It  doesn't float the big wood handle net but it will keep the handle sticking up above 6' water...
Thanks. I thought about filling the handle with foam. A day late a dollar short. Looking for the right replacement now.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 07:30:02 PM by shtoong » Logged
ss498

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 12:13:04 PM »

Been there, Xtra net on boat and in truck !!! If You have xtras You will never need them!

Derwood

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 12:54:02 PM »

I know your pain when it comes to losing a key piece of equipment! One of the first times I took my then-3-year-old son crabbing, as I had my back turned setting up gear, he tossed 4/10 of our traps into the water ...before I tied a float on them. Later he dropped the net in the water just for good measure. Now I run with an extra net, float on the handle, and I don't ever take the trap floats off even if we're dropping off a pier! Congrats on the great outing.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 11:19:47 AM »

I actually stuffed foam in my aluminum handle and it would hold upright but wouldn't float.  Added a piece of noodle about 10" on outside of handle where it's not in the way and it floats just fine.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home