October 03, 2022, 12:48:42 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool box temp  (Read 281 times)
Crab Buzzard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2022, 08:07:15 AM »

With the water and air being hot as it is does anyone turn there temp up? Been getting more dead lost then usual I have it at 50 degree

BUZ
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 11:45:42 AM »

how are u keeping your crabs on the boat. meaning wood baskets or plastic cover with burlap or towels and under a canopy protected from direct sunlight ect. 2 weeks ago i crabbed a friday and caught 2 bu . on the way home ,which wasn't far i was pulled over and was detained 30 min in 90 + temps. i  told the officer that i had live crabs on the boat and wanted to be on my way asap. 30 min later i was headed for home, no ticket. got home crabs and lines into walkin set at 50 to 55 on sunday i sold the remainder of those crabs with little deadloss. here's why imho my son who mates on the boat soaks every wood basket before use then he covers the basket with  a wet white bath towel at all time and only takes it off to sort each runs catch. when it's full he soaks the towel 1 more time and slides it under the  g unnel as far as it will go ,about half way. i also have a large canopy
Crab Buzzard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 12:04:50 PM »

I do have a soft top on my boat and keep crabs wet with a deck wash pump when basket is full keep out of sun and
 wet towel on that. Some say you should"t wet crabs I don"t know to me the crabs don"t seam as active when I catch them I will kick the temp up to 52 in box and see if that helps. Thanks

BUZ
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 02:00:31 PM »

I do have a soft top on my boat and keep crabs wet with a deck wash pump when basket is full keep out of sun and
 wet towel on that. Some say you should"t wet crabs I don"t know to me the crabs don"t seam as active when I catch them I will kick the temp up to 52 in box and see if that helps. Thanks

I've seen an increase in dead loss in the last two or three weeks as well.  I keep my walk-in at 52, never below.  I also keep the crabs well taken care of on the boat.
I found that if I cover the crabs in the box with wet bath towels and put piles of ice on top of the towels seems to help

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home