August 11, 2022, 09:01:14 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Huh WTF ? Rusty crab ok ?  (Read 170 times)
renduke

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2022, 12:47:03 PM »

While crabbing in brackish water i noticed a few blue claw crabs had a rusty color bottom and brown legs.
When I cleaned them I noticed the lungs were darker than typical.
Are these crabs ok to eat ?

I have seen yellowish undersides before but not rust colored and the brown legs and dark lungs gave me pause.
What the deal with this ?
KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 01:10:38 PM »

A rusty crab means an older shell and typically a heavier crab.  They aren't always the fattest, but has always been a decent indicator for me.  I still pinch them all just to be sure.

The black in the lungs, to my knowledge just means it's been in a lot of mud.  I don't believe it's anything to worry about.

Crabs can look different depending on what conditions they are hanging out in.  Sandy bottom, cleaner crab.  Personally all the best crabs I catch are in the mud typically, but that is just my personal experience.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 01:56:34 PM »

A rusty crab means an older shell and typically a heavier crab.  They aren't always the fattest, but has always been a decent indicator for me.  I still pinch them all just to be sure.

The black in the lungs, to my knowledge just means it's been in a lot of mud.  I don't believe it's anything to worry about.

Crabs can look different depending on what conditions they are hanging out in.  Sandy bottom, cleaner crab.  Personally all the best crabs I catch are in the mud typically, but that is just my personal experience.
thumbsup 

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Crabslayer
Supporting Member

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 02:11:55 PM »

Jack is a OLD RUSTY CRAB!  laugh
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 03:26:44 PM by jack1747 » Logged

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 11:18:02 AM »

the lungs are also filters and the longer they ar in the same shell before shedding the dirtyer the lung will be. when that crab sheds the lungs will shed also making the m new again.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home