August 11, 2022, 09:41:09 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Shore Mid-Bay River 8/5/2022  (Read 926 times)
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2022, 07:53:11 PM »

Pesky and I got out to our destination and dang if someone wasnt putting in their second line by then.  We moved to an available alternate.  Set one 1200 of fowl necks in 4-6 of 84+ degree water then another 1800 in 4-19.  Pesky helped herself to some necks and tangled my line in the can which led to a nasty tangle when deploying it.   After frustrating wiht that too long, I cut it out.  We crabbed a couple hours of falling tide and. Then the few hours of the short rise to the mid-day high tide.  As I am typing this I am remembering the cut out portion is still on the boat, dang again.

We picked up right where we left off last Saturday, very slow.  We got a few more than last trip which I will attribute to my new dipper.  Had many crabs hit the extensions and fall back in.  Still some fine tuning to do but happy with how it is and will be.

Far fewer jellyfish today, I think the rains have already helped.  A tone of small and juvenile crabs.  Sold the few medium crabs I could spare to a riverside homeowner who motored out to talk with me.  Then back at the ramp I sold the remaking medium crabs I had caught after the first customer.  It was nice to be heading home having my fuel covered.

I had the rear seat folded up in my truck to keep the crabs in the AC.  Pesky felt like she needed to climb up on that folded seat to keep away from them.  Odd.
mark fix
Supporting Member

mark eric fix 891fix

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 05:19:31 AM »

Nice to hear you got some. Good to get some gas money back.
partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 07:31:35 AM »

pup was going to the warmest place in the truck, too much ac
MCC CRAB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 12:27:47 PM »

Great report and pictures as always
Stabilizer
Lifetime Member

Work hard, Play harder.

GuyWithCrabs

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 01:25:05 PM »

pup was going to the warmest place in the truck, too much ac
Im thinking that was it.  It was hot as the hinges of [Sam Hill] when I opened the truck up and put the dog in and got the AC going with the windows down for a moment.  Then loaded the boat onto the trailer and put crabs in the truck and with windows up.  

Considering how hot is was, the temp had come a long way down when she was climbing the back seat.  I told her to get down and she slept curled up on a blanket the rest of the way home.

greenberg21

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 06:13:48 AM »

Funny dog pic and....Thanks for the report...
Elokiden

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 08:18:39 AM »

Long live the faithful crabbing companion. Pesky had a busy morning and she was going to crash wherever was free.
Glad to hear you had a decent run.
Those jellies were slow to show up this year in Pax, but man have they been making up for lost time. I've been wearing my freediving tights for some protection from them on the kayak. With my legs extended in front of me I've been dealing with tentacles slung over my legs no matter how careful I try to be. The trials and tribulations of kayak crabbing I guess.
Thanks for the report. Best of luck out there!
Logical1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 08:25:07 AM »

Long live the faithful crabbing companion. Pesky had a busy morning and she was going to crash wherever was free.
Glad to hear you had a decent run.
Those jellies were slow to show up this year in Pax, but man have they been making up for lost time. I've been wearing my freediving tights for some protection from them on the kayak. With my legs extended in front of me I've been dealing with tentacles slung over my legs no matter how careful I try to be. The trials and tribulations of kayak crabbing I guess.
Thanks for the report. Best of luck out there!

I have found that just a pair of quick drying long pants works for me when kayak crabbing in jellyfish infested waters.  I use ring traps, so there is no way to avoid getting some on me.  I hate feeling drag when pulling thinking you have a monster crab only to pull up a slimy jelly.

There's no place like roam!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home