September 16, 2019, 08:16:15 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fast Approaching  (Read 15167 times)
Bdc

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2004, 08:55:37 AM »

Joe Crabs & CW,
It's 7:55 on Thursday and you've made my day already. It was nice to hear about some southern jersey surf & turf (especially when i just started a diet this week...lol) and to see that beautiful sight on the water. Thanks guys. It's right around the corner.....
Cheers
-Bdc

Little Orca
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2004, 10:05:18 AM »

Hey BDC, I thought some of you would appreciate that shot. Besides catching and eating crabs there is nothing more relaxing to me then spending time on the water on a beautiful sunny day. It helps me release the stress and tensions of the job. And I think this shot says it all. It's got my blood boiling and ready to go.

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2004, 10:48:13 AM »

That is right at the launch by Schnaitmen's on the Wye River.

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2004, 10:56:10 AM »

I am sorry Kristie Yes they do. Row Boats are $26, motor boats are $65. If you have a motor you could put it on a row boat. Get there early though, they open at Sun Up. There are about 6 motor boats, but when crabbing is hot you get right in front of the place.

Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2004, 07:02:13 PM »

Kristy, here’s a link to the Talbot County Maryland boat ramps.  After you bring it up, mouse on Wye Landing. After that, mouse on “Click here to get location map and directions.”
This is where Schnaitmanns Boat Rentals is located on the eastern shore of Maryland, on the Wye River, home of the “monster” blue crabs. As Joe said, get there early...before sunup, as the boats go fast in the summertime. The Wye River is not just beautiful, it's heaven on earth! Good luck.

http://mddnr.chesapeakebay.net/fish/Cntyramps/TA.html

Crabpop

Severn, Md USA

Bdc

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2004, 02:29:27 PM »

Speaking of Fast Approaching.......

woooooooohoooooooo.......It's beautiful outside this afternoon. It's gotta be close to 70 if not higher. Would be great to get an extensive period of these temps, eh?
I work in a high school as a counselor and some of my students were talking about the upcoming season and a few spots where they really nail them and some good size too. ...Funny, we're going to visit the spot next weekend...just to check it out b/c i've never been there. It's actually off of land too. It's great to see the younger generation love the outdoors as much as these kids.
Anyway, I'm just babbling b/c this weather gave me the spring fever!!
Have a great weekend.
-Bdc

Little Orca
DancinCrab

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2004, 02:49:58 PM »

Im with you on that BC!

I'm going to toss my other boat in the water today and take a ride, just for the pure fun of being on that water with the temp at 65 instead of 25!

Have a great day all! Grin
CrAbBeRpEzZ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2004, 03:45:32 PM »

Fast is right.  and warm is right.  just got home from school and its gotta be at least 70
eelfisher

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2004, 04:54:11 PM »

'bout time we start seeing these temps, eh? what a beautiful day....
cw4340

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2004, 07:18:29 PM »

STILL NEED SUN Cool Cool Cool Wink

indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2004, 02:52:01 PM »

I have a question that might be able to be answered by the experianced boaters. I know the ramps gets very crowded at the Wye so I thought I would launch from Sandy Point Park or somewere around there. I was wondering if any of you guys or ladys could tell me how long it would take me to get to the Wye. I have 170 Hp engine on a 19 ft wellcraft. I don't know how fast it go's since I have not had it out on the water yet. I was also hoping someone could tell me were I could purchase a map for the area.

Indoe

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2004, 05:47:34 PM »

Remeber this is a swag.  I am figuring your boat can do about 25-30 mph on glass, based on the 160hp v20 wellcraft I had once.  A quick look at my charts put the trip at around 25-30 miles.  I'm guessing once your up on plane 1 to 2 hours. The trick would be getting back if the weather got snotty.  Since the wind usually blows out of the west it could be a [Sam Hill] of a ride home.  Plus an hour or so on a pounding boat will take more out of you than you think.  After the ride over you might find that you dont feel like crabin and be dreadin the ride back.  I would not try a trip like that until you are more familiar with your new boat and that area of the bay.  Smiley

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
CRABGUY
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

FRYGUY

CRABMAN RUSS

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2004, 07:49:22 PM »

I WOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT GAS
30 MILE ROUND TRIP (S.W.A.G. METHOD) CUTTING
A LITTLE CLOSE
IT CAN FEEL LIKE A HUNDRED MILES IN 6' SWELLS
T.L.A.R. METHOD
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 07:50:22 PM by CRABGUY » Logged
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2004, 09:02:57 PM »

I thought it was a good idea at first.  Grin I was thinking it would be about 10 miles away and I could get there in about half an hour.  Huh Thanks for the info and know that I know the real distance my plan might have to be changed a little. How is the traffic at the boat ramp around 9 or 10 am at the Wye. I might have to get there a little late so that I don't hold anybody up.  Is there a time when the ramp opens up or can I launch at any time. If there isn't I might get there early and sleep on the boat until morning. Just an idea. Cool Thanks for the help guys.
Indoe

Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2004, 09:13:57 PM »

Indoe, holy mackerel! First some suggestions, then we'll get you to the Wye River from other than the Wye Landing ramp.
I take it this boat is new to you -- either a brand new Wellcraft or a previously owned one with a 170HP motor.  Before heading out on a 2-3 hour venture across two bays and a river system (Chesapeake Bay, Eastern Bay, and the Wye River), take that boat out of Sandy Point for a couple test runs.  See how the boat handles, on both flat calm water and a little chop; see how the motor functions, responds to throttle and helm; stop and check the bilge occassionally for water leaks or other fluids; see if it has a bilge pump and, if it does, pour a bucket of water in the bilge to see if it pumps it out.   I would do this test run from Sandy Point at least twice; it will also help you to get to know the boat.  Get a membership to one of the boat tow services that operate in the central Chesapeake Bay region.  Might cost you $100-125 a year for membership, but tow are then free.  Without tow service membership, a tow will cost you 2-3-4 times the membership fee amount.
Now, for the Wye River.  There are quite a few ramps on the eastern shore of Maryland that will negate the need for you to cross the Chesapeake Bay from the western shore.  Check out the following link and a color map will appear.  Click on the orange colored county (Talbot County) or the green one to the north of Talbot
(Queen Annes County).  If you use one of the Queen Annes County ramps you will have to cross the Eastern Bay to get to the entrance of the Wye River. If you use one of the Talbot County ramps, for instance, at or near Saint Michaels, you'll have only a 20-30 minute run to the entrance of the Wye River.  Now, more good news.  Once on the Wye River, you don't have to go up river all the way to Wye Landing (Schnaitmanns Boat Rentals, et al) to catch Wye River crabs.  Crabbing can be excellent in the lower part of the river also.  Now, this is important.  The Wye River twists and turns though the Talbot County countryside.  You need a good map or chartbook of the area.  One I recommend is ADC's Chesapeake Bay Chartbook for Maryland and Virginia.  It's laminated and costs around $45.00.  A lot of good information in this chartbook, which will help to keep you from getting lost.  That's about it.  Oh yeah, my wife (who is from Pusan) says to take along kimchi and rice to stave off hunger in case you do get lost  Wink.  Here is the boat ramp link.  Good luck my friend.

((Darn, forgot the link; here it is, Indoe))

http://mddnr.chesapeakebay.net/fish/state2.html

P.S., The ramp at Wye Landing is open 24 hours, I believe.  You can put your boat in the water at 3AM, as long as you have functioning navigation lights.

Crabpop  
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 09:20:59 PM by Crabpop » Logged

Severn, Md USA

waterboy

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2004, 11:04:43 PM »

Indoe, Since I'm coming over from the western shore, when I crab the Wye I launch at the Kent Narrows.  Nice wide ramp with lot's of parking and rarely a wait, from there I run to the Wye.  In a 17' whaler with a 90HP it takes about 30 minutes to get to my spot near the mouth, I don't think I could drive to the Wye and run my boat any quicker.  After crabbing there's several fishing options on the way home and crabbing in the Narrows is not too bad either.  

Good luck with the new rig and cross your fingers for an early season.    
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2004, 08:45:54 AM »

http://www.boatsafe.com/

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
mariner

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2004, 08:55:34 AM »

Indoe:

I have a page on my website which has a javascript using the 60D=S/T formula. All you have to do is input 2 of the 3 numbers requested and the rest is automatic. Just go to: http://searay.50megs.com/stuff.html

You have to be well aware of the weather as has already been mentioned. Wind and current is also a factor. On a normal good day Sandy Point is really busy. A lot of the boaters coming out of the launch area near the bridge seem to have little regard for others. BE CAREFUL!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 08:57:23 AM by mariner » Logged
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2004, 12:49:04 PM »

Thanks guys for the info. I just took my boating safty cource a week ago and my bilge pump works great. I am going to launch my boat for the first time in essex. I planned on taking my boat for a test run before I went out on a day long trip. I will look for that chartbook, I will definatly need one. Thanks about the info about Kent Narrows Waterboy, that seems like a good place to launch from. Crabpop tell your wife that I will try to bring some kimpop with me so I don't get hungry when I get lost.  Grin

Crabpop

Home Sweet Home

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2004, 07:57:44 PM »

Hey Indoe, kimbop will do the trick.  Sometimes take some along myself.  Good luck with the test run and enjoy the boat.

Crabpop

Severn, Md USA

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home