September 27, 2022, 11:14:55 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oak Hill Dock 09/18/2022  (Read 233 times)
witch1031

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2022, 06:15:04 AM »

Arrived around 9:30am.  Water was smooth and the temp was perfect.  Got setup and caught a nice 6" jimmy.  Turns out he was the only one, all I caught after that was puffer fish in my dip nets.   Mullet were jumping all over the place.  Finally packed up around 11:30am and went to Riverbreeze where we caught zero crabs.   Which is what I expected when I looked down and saw chicken legs in the water, if the crabs were biting those chicken legs would not be sitting there in the water.

PLEASE do not throw your bait into the water.   Toss it in a trash can or take it home with you (which is what I do).   If you dump it in the river you're feeding the crabs which  makes it harder to lure them in with bait.  Thanks.
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 07:51:46 AM »

Thanks for the report but sorry to hear it was your only crab! I had a rough day finding crabs my last time out also!
Here is the promised picture of where to stick an ice pick to euthanize a crab.
The picture courtesy of BCA!

I checked the tides for Oak Hill; it said you arrived at dead low tide with incoming.
Plankton crabbed at approximately high tide with a falling tide. Is that the reason for catch differences?
I like to crab, and fish, two hours before to two hours after high tide.
But I have caught crabs at all tide heights!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 09:32:14 AM by SHELLFISH » Logged

Retired in paradise!
witch1031

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 08:10:06 AM »

Thanks.  I want to go back again this weekend but I'm not sure if I can find the time but like I said yesterday, as long as the water is this hot I'm going to try every weekend.   That crab was aggressive as [Sam Hill], he literally jumped at me when I got home and opened the cooler.   laugh
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 09:11:12 AM »

I checked the water temperature at Kennedy Park in Edgewater on the ride home.
                            84.5F

I checked the Oak Hill tides... You arrived at dead low tide with an incoming.
Plankton crabbed at approximately high tide with a falling tide. I wonder if this is the reason for different catches?
I have caught crabs at all tides but prefer 2-3 hours before and after high tide. I have not done well in strong flow areas.
I have a buddy down here, a guide, who prefers to fish after dead low with an incoming. He targets Reds and Snook.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 09:50:42 AM by SHELLFISH » Logged

Retired in paradise!
Plankton

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 05:28:02 PM »

Thanks for the report..Yes when I got there it was High tide and falling, the crabs did stop biting once it was slack tide and thatís when I packed up and left..About the chicken legs in the water, I would be really surprised if they were mine from the previous morning , I figured they would most definitely be chewed up over the course of 24 hours but from now on I will just throw them in the trash canÖ also I have a question about River Breeze, have you guys had any luck at the very end of the pier where the water is a bit deeper? I have set traps out there and havenít gotten a single crab in hours , they really seem to like the shallow areas of that place

witch1031

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 06:56:42 PM »

I have never caught a crab on the River Breeze dock.  But Iíve only gone in the morning.   I have done the best at the culvert in Oak Hill.  Caught this monster at the culvert.  9Ē and he was delicious.

Plankton

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 06:59:39 PM »

I have never caught a crab on the River Breeze dock.  But Iíve only gone in the morning.   I have done the best at the culvert in Oak Hill.  Caught this monster at the culvert.  9Ē and he was delicious.

WOW that is a Nice crab!! Iím not sure I know what the culvert is that you are mentioning, is it near River Breeze?
witch1031

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 07:47:27 PM »

No, itís near the Oak Hill fishing dock.  Right here.  On the west side.

Plankton

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 07:57:37 PM »

Thank you, I will have to check it out sometime
witch1031

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 06:51:50 AM »

Just be careful.   Most people don't speed on that road but you are literally on the side of a narrow 2 lane road and the ground isn't level.   Look out for fire ants.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home