September 27, 2022, 10:10:27 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crab Covering Question  (Read 217 times)
greenberg21

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2022, 08:00:43 AM »

While out in the boat I like to keep my crabs covered and out of the direct sunlight.  I have an open boat so we have no shade.  I've used a really old tarp that was cloth on one side and poly on the other side and this has lasted me 20+ years, but after using it as a crab covering for the last 3 years, the cloth side has gotten shredded by the crabs and I'm looking to upgrade for next year.

What do other Rec crabbers use to keep their crabs covered when out in the summer heat?  I like to be able to dunk whatever covering I use so it stays cool/damp and then I place it over the crabs to keep them cooler and out of the direct sunlight.  I realize burlap is an option (and a cheap one!  Grin), but I'm always open for innovative/better ways to do something.  Any suggestions or products you'd like to share that you're using?
vw_buggsy
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 06:57:39 AM »

An old wetted t-shirt over them in a pre-soaked basket.

In the cooler if I'm keeping them overnight I use an old Minnie mouse beach towel underneath, between the crabs and my ice packs. The old t shirt goes on top.

If I ever come across some burlap for free or nearly so I'd pick it up,  but the t shirts work fine.

I'm also in an open boat,  a 14' aluminum skiff.
ranger521
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 11:20:52 AM »

I use a piece of canvas from my paint covering throw.  I got it at home depot and since I only needed a piece big enough for my crab basket I just cut a piece off.  I dip it in the water every so often to get more moisture on it.  I also freeze 2 or 3 bottles of 2 liter bottles of coke and I put one in the middle of the bushel basket and pile the crabs around it and this keeps them calm and cool too, thebottle may last about 2-4 hours depending on the heat index.  Then i throw it away when i get home, just pour the water into the garden and chuck the bottle.  I dont like putting the used bottle in my food cooler for cross contamination reasons I guess you could re use it and wash the bottle if you wanted to.  U could also use a beach towel and cover the basket in hotttttt hot days. but i like them to get air too. 
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 12:14:14 PM »

I normally use a large towel but any good size piece of material that will hold water will work.   I keep my wood basket inside a plastic basket. I like the way the way the wood holds moisture plus the plastic is security if the old basket gets weak.  When I get ready to leave the river I soak the towel and with the wood basket out of the plastic cover the basket. Then put wood basket and towel inside the plastic basket. That keeps everything damp and no way the towel will blow away going down the road.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 12:59:50 PM »

I normally use a large towel but any good size piece of material that will hold water will work.   I keep my wood basket inside a plastic basket. I like the way the way the wood holds moisture plus the plastic is security if the old basket gets weak.  When I get ready to leave the river I soak the towel and with the wood basket out of the plastic cover the basket. Then put wood basket and towel inside the plastic basket. That keeps everything damp and no way the towel will blow away going down the road.
thumbsup

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

greenberg21

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 09:06:50 AM »

I use a piece of canvas from my paint covering throw.  I got it at home depot and since I only needed a piece big enough for my crab basket I just cut a piece off.  I dip it in the water every so often to get more moisture on it.  I also freeze 2 or 3 bottles of 2 liter bottles of coke and I put one in the middle of the bushel basket and pile the crabs around it and this keeps them calm and cool too, thebottle may last about 2-4 hours depending on the heat index.  Then i throw it away when i get home, just pour the water into the garden and chuck the bottle.  I dont like putting the used bottle in my food cooler for cross contamination reasons I guess you could re use it and wash the bottle if you wanted to.  U could also use a beach towel and cover the basket in hotttttt hot days. but i like them to get air too. 

Thanks!  Love the idea of the frozen soda bottle!!  Will also start putting a wooden basket inside my plastic one for moisture. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home