September 27, 2022, 10:50:40 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do bait scents work?  (Read 149 times)
pureblue

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2022, 06:11:00 PM »

I see several brands of scents being sold to add to crab bait to attract more crabs. Has anyone tried them and do they work? Which brand is best?
I'm also wondering what would the results be if i marinated chicken in fish scent.
shtoong
Supporting Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 07:54:32 PM »

I found some cans of cheap clam juice and have been marinating necks in that with salt. I haven't tested the difference in a line with straight necks so I couldn't say if it works or not. It's more like a baseball player coming up to bat and doing his ritual. I'll do a crab dance if I think it will catch me more crabs.
KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 09:33:12 AM »

I save the juice from my necks after baiting.  In the morning right before deploying I pour it over the trotline.  The way I know this works is I've caught crabs on the bare rope, halfway between baits.  Usually lasts at most 2 runs before it's all rinsed out.  I figure it's helping attract a few early on, but don't have much evidence of that.  Catching the crabs on bare rope is pretty hard evidence there is something to the scent.
shtoong
Supporting Member

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 03:18:20 PM »

I save the juice from my necks after baiting.  In the morning right before deploying I pour it over the trotline.  The way I know this works is I've caught crabs on the bare rope, halfway between baits.  Usually lasts at most 2 runs before it's all rinsed out.  I figure it's helping attract a few early on, but don't have much evidence of that.  Catching the crabs on bare rope is pretty hard evidence there is something to the scent.
Come to think of it I have seen crabs hanging on our bare line as well. I also pour the clam and chicken juice on the line. It usually soaks for two days in a milk refrigerator.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home