November 29, 2022, 12:30:41 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How is my prop stick setup?  (Read 456 times)
vw_buggsy
Supporting Member

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2022, 03:27:34 PM »

I've been having a little bit of luck trapping this season. I really want to try a trot line. I have all my stuff set up and just created a prop stick for my boat. I just got ideas from searching the forum, but I was hoping some of y'all might have feedback on my setup to help my first time with a trotline be more successful. I will be trotlining solo with a line WITHOUT snoods. It's a 14' aluminum skiff with a slightly wider than average beam.

What I came up with adjusts in and out from the side of the boat from around 10" out to around 24" since I'm not sure how far away it needs to be yet. It adjusts up and down from what should be skimming the water to about 6" up. It is mostly 1.5" sched 40 PVC. I added a loose piece of 3" PVC to act as a kind of a roller.

Is the up and down adjustment really necessary or should I have just made it straight out from the side? That would put it about 8" above the water. Anything else y'all can see wrong with the set up?

Here's what I have (if I've added the pictures correctly), nothing is glued:

U812OHNO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2022, 05:54:49 AM »

I think straight out over the side will work just fine.  And depending on the thickness of your trotline, it may get pinched in between that roller and one of those 90's.  I experimented with a PVC "roller" too, and on certain angles, the line would get pinched and then you start pulling the line and the anchor!
I had an extra roller stand from work and unbolted the roller and the little frame it mounts on and then bolted it through the PVC pipe.  I have about a 6" piece of 1" PVC bolted vertically on each end to keep the line on the roller.  Eighteen bucks at Harbor Freight.  Lasts about five years and then it gets pretty crusty and you buy another.
  https://www.harborfreight.com/132-lb-capacity-roller-stand-68898.html     

vw_buggsy
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 06:57:54 AM »

Thanks!

I was a bit worried about that with my roller thing too.  I like the idea of just having the stick straight out if that works instead of the up down adjustment thing i created. It would simplify things and I like simple. I still like the idea of a roller though.

I'll see if I can come up with a good plastic wire spool somewhere, and just put that on a straight stick of pvc. The wire spools I keep finding have big holes in them though on the barrel and in the sides though.
WadeG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 08:59:35 AM »

I use the same type of roller set but I run the verticals up through a 6" piece of pipe.  So far it has not caught the line. I think it just needs a smooth surface and a diameter large enough that the snoods won't wrap as they pass through.

Wade
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 10:17:33 AM by WadeG » Logged
vw_buggsy
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 11:05:21 AM »

I use the same type of roller set but I run the verticals up through a 6" piece of pipe.  So far it has not caught the line. I think it just needs a smooth surface and a diameter large enough that the snoods won't wrap as they pass through.

Wade

Thanks! I see you have an adjuster for up and down as well. Do you find that helpful or do you generally just leave it set at one level?

I'm thinking of some kind of wire spool roller now on a straight stick. I might make up a couple of "business ends" to try and see which one I like or get ideas of what to improve from there. At the end of the day I'll just have to get out there and try stuff to really know what will work, and I know that. I'm just trying to rule out stuff that clearly won't work well.

WadeG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 04:05:23 PM »

My skiff sits low enough I keep it up as high as it will go.  I also can adjust in and out from the boat.

Wade
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 06:18:43 PM »

Mine stays at same level.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 08:30:50 PM »

vw_buggsy
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2022, 10:04:03 PM »

GO GO GADGET PROP STICK!

I decided to create a couple different ends for my prop stick as well as a drop leg that I can use to lower it a bit if needed (two 90 degree fittings and a bit of extra pipe).

One uses a plastic wire spool. I'm not wild about the spool I found but it should work until I can find something better.

The other uses a goal post set up with the larger diameter PVC similar to Wade's. On the day I finally get to try it out (stupid weather) I'll just bring some extra PVC and a hacksaw in case I need to reconfigure. I'm not going to glue most of it together, I'll just use stainless screws so I can change ends or reconfigure stuff if I need to.

Thanks to all of you for your help!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home