October 21, 2020, 02:44:06 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas might effect my crabbing....  (Read 13806 times)
Crabbeer

Kwicherbichen and have fun, go crabbin!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2006, 03:40:13 PM »

I think you have to be careful with this...

As it has been explained to me from several sources, accepting money from your guests, even for splitting bait and fuel costs is illegal unless you have a guide/charter status. 

I'd be easy pickings for the man to come on here, line up a trip with you and then nail you with a big fine.

I understand what you are saying Domino.  However, I think they have bigger fish to fry.  We are all "friends" here on Blue-crab.. I'll gladly take a friend along, even if he works for the DNR, as long as he is willing to share the cost of the trip. 

This is a hotly debated topic for offshore fishing.  Guys have these incredibly expensive boats that cost a ton of money to run.  With an increase in the price of gas, sharing the ride is becoming more and more commonplace. 

A charter or guide never splits costs with the crew.  They work for a hopefull profit.  The only way they can make a profit to run their business is to charge at least what the trip costs.  Friends splitting the cost of a trip is just that.

No offense meant, JMHO.  Like I said, this topic will continue to be scruitinized as gas prices continue to rise. 

Support our troops, make their home worthy of them.
frankwyte4

Steam 'em if ya got 'em

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2006, 04:03:03 PM »

As it has been explained to me from several sources, accepting money from your guests, even for splitting bait and fuel costs is illegal unless you have a guide/charter status. 

I'd be easy pickings for the man to come on here, line up a trip with you and then nail you with a big fine.

is this for boating in general or is this because you are crabbing while on the boat that its illegal to accept money from your guests. 

is it just cash?  can you bring the bait and would that be considered illegal?

that would be a hard thing to catch somebody with anyway, unless its a sting operation, but i would hope that they have better things do than to bust crab poolers.  never heard of DNR going under cover to bust the poor folks who share crabbing expenses.

but I guess since it is illegal we can't promote it, atleast not openly.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 04:06:34 PM by frankwyte4 » Logged

What hits you was not meant to miss you, and what misses you was not meant to hit you
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2006, 04:24:54 PM »

that would be a hard thing to catch somebody with anyway, unless its a sting operation, but i would hope that they have better things do than to bust crab poolers.  never heard of DNR going under cover to bust the poor folks who share crabbing expenses.

You would be surprised..... sometimes they DON'T have anything better to do.  After reading some of the stories on this board about what they've done (drinking, and busting charter guys), I wouldn't put anything past them. Angry

Git 'r dun!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2006, 11:53:31 PM »

MAN. it's all about having FUN, pooling is great it is Friends with friends.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
crabbygramps
In Memoriam (1/2013)
Lifetime Member

awww geeeez....another one

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2006, 06:06:47 AM »

I can't believe what I just read... are you allowed to do any thing in MD. with out fear of the DNR or what ever... Angry Been sharing costs and gas etc since early sixties...fishin, huntin, trips to Daytona, on and on. Cannot bring myself to even begin to think any local govt. can say anyone sharing costs...for anything. I'd have those s.o.b.s in court in a New York minute.. Ive been thru some very scary moments in 64 years, but being paranoid about sharing isn't one of them. Tell em CG is comin mon. The 24th.. AND SHARING WITH 3 OTHER FRIENDS...gas ...bait ..tolls.. wawa coffee cigs ..conversation..and friendship!!!!!! Don't like it..."KMA" ..."AH".. So you won't miss me..03 burgundey chev. p/u towing large blue and white "garvey" PA tags, 4 occupants
 Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Cool

"CHESAPEAKE FEVER" catch it and you'll know "WYE"

crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2006, 06:15:28 AM »

I can't see where splitting the costs of a trip could be considered "paying" someone to take you . JMHO .

Live To Crab And Crab To Live !!!!
Crabbeer

Kwicherbichen and have fun, go crabbin!

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2006, 06:48:46 AM »

Right on CG, I am with you. 

Support our troops, make their home worthy of them.
frankwyte4

Steam 'em if ya got 'em

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2006, 07:29:33 AM »

i guess its sad to see a law like that on the books, i'm not going to a charter anyway .  worst scenario i'll just take my own *** boat and pay the full price and let people ride wit me for free.

but i'm with CG, its not fair to go around and stop people from splitting some expenses, just don't make no sense 

What hits you was not meant to miss you, and what misses you was not meant to hit you
MD17Crabber

Nothing Like A Wye Sunrise..

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2006, 04:09:09 PM »

yea, if they have a problem with people splitting costs, then in a couple years when gas prices are even higher  Shocked Shocked and people can only make it down a few times a year if that, they are loosing money.  Because I wouldnt plan on buying a liscence if I'm only gonna make it down once or twice without splitting costs.

mmm Mumbos
Amishcrab

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2006, 12:52:32 AM »

C'mon, take a deep breath.......now exhale slowly.....feel better?  Did the paranoia ease some?

How the heck is the DNR going to even know or even be able to prove you are sharing expenses to crab recreationally.....unless you open your big yap to their stupid questions.  Can you imagine the field day the press and a semi competant lawyer would have with the DNR harassing licensed rec crabbers sharing costs?

You are not running a charter, just sharing basic expenses between recreational hobbyist's.  You are not running a business for profit, providing a service for a fee, ..just sharing expenses between friends with similar interest.

What are you worried about next.......carpooling?

I find it sad that paranoia about sharing hobby expenses on a recreational level is an element to even worry about or consider.

siowner00

The Land of Pleasent Living, MD that is!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2006, 10:37:29 PM »

As far as Brazil with ethanol, can you believe that a third world country beat the greatest nation in the world to a renewable fuel source and that they have no dependence on outside fuel sources. As far as using a sailboat to crab that sounds a little rough so I'll be looking into trading my boat in for a pedal boat like you rent at the inner harbor LOL, but seriously I might be looking into buying a resivior rig. My next door nieghbor has a resivoir rig with a motor that he made himself out of an old 2.5 horsepower gas powered nissan motor and a three phase motor. Only problem is he only gets about an hour and half of run time at full throttle and then you have to think about expensive batteries and your electric bill to recharge them. Oh well guess I'll be buying a pedal boat. If I leave on friday i may be eating crabs on sunday lol.
Domino

Incredible Hawk

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2006, 03:13:08 PM »

C'mon, take a deep breath.......now exhale slowly.....feel better?  Did the paranoia ease some?

How the heck is the DNR going to even know or even be able to prove you are sharing expenses to crab recreationally.....unless you open your big yap to their stupid questions.  Can you imagine the field day the press and a semi competant lawyer would have with the DNR harassing licensed rec crabbers sharing costs?

Amishcrab, take a deep breath, exhale and slowly reread my post...the how is a set-up.  DNR does operate like this.  I was trying to be a good neighbor and point that out before the crabpooling board made it easy pickings.  There are some great folks on here and I'd hate to see them stumble into some BS DNR sting.

All I'm saying is that if you regularly take out strangers from the internet and cash exchanges hands, (profit or not) you're asking for trouble.  That's not paranoia, it's covering your [arse].

It's like saying DNR has better things to do than fine you for dropping gear at 5:30am when sunrise is 6:15am...Or shooting a duck at 5:30pm when sunset was 5:20pm...it's minor, but it still happens all the time.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 03:37:43 PM by Domino » Logged
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2006, 03:23:15 PM »

Amishcrab, take a deep breath, exhale and slowly reread my post...the how is a set-up.  DNR does operate like this.  I was trying to be a good neighbor and point that out before the crabpooling board made it easy pickings.  There are some great folks on here and I'd hate to see them stumble into some BS DNR sting.

All I'm saying is that if you regularly take out strangers from the internet and cash exchanges hands, (profit or not) you're asking for trouble.  That's not paranoia, it's covering your [arse].

It's like saying DNR has better things to do than fine you for dropping gear at 5:30am when sunrise is 6:15am...Or shooting a duck at 5:30pm when sunset was 5:20pm...it minor, but it still happens all the time.

Merrill..you're right about the DNR... Wink..the last time Johnnie and I were out early,the Man stopped us and we had all our gear on our boat...he asked us were we  the water and he produced a flashlight to make sure we were not.....however,sunrise that day was 5:54 am..he told us in no uncertain terms we could not start working our gear until 5:24 am...not one minute sooner..so,yea,I believe they could and would stoop as low as that about cash exchanges  Undecided

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2006, 04:11:22 PM »

I couldn't agree more with Domino and KC here.... they are just waiting to get their paws into something like this....  talking about it openly on this site probably isn't such a great idea either Undecided

How do you know I'm not an officer?  Have you seen my boat? laugh laugh

Git 'r dun!
DOGFISH

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2006, 05:28:44 PM »

hello king crabber my name is dogfish i was wondering if you had any good spots to crab

Thoroughbred

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2006, 08:07:18 AM »

i hear that.. gas is going through the roof and will continue to rise fluxing across months to come and probably landing around $4 where it will sit for awhile. if it helps us cope, take a look overseas in places like UK, Italy, Japan where gallon of gas is around $5 plus. I think U.S. gas prices are the cheapeast in the world, right now. we were just so conditioned to the lower gas prices.

BTW europe's high gas prices are because they pay a heck of a lot more in taxes not because of the wholesale cost.
mike2u

New London Pa.. My kids call me Mr. Krabs...

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2006, 09:31:28 AM »

Wow I never imagined this topic would take off the way it has and it's actually bringing up some good points.. When I take people out crabbing, 90 % of the time it's family members the only thing I share with them is the experience of crabbing. The only cost that I ask from them is to pay for the cost of the boat if we rent that day.. I don't ask for gas money or bait money, because I would have been crabbing anyway if they were not there. Sometimes to off set expenses, instead of exchanging money, I tell the person I'm going with what to bring to help out,, Food, Drinks, Bait, and this way money is not exchanging hands. I remember last year this topic came up about DNR trying to chatch people exchanging money so it's always in the back of my mind... The money and time I've spent on crabbing is nothing compared to the smiles and good times I share with my family crabbing, which otherwise would never be able to go out.   
Domino

Incredible Hawk

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2006, 09:33:25 AM »

Well said, Mike2u.  Smiley
frankwyte4

Steam 'em if ya got 'em

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2006, 01:08:33 PM »

Cry Cry Cry  very touching,

Cool

Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2006, 02:14:26 PM »

How does the DNR know what your intent is?   Wouldn't they have to watch you for a long period of time (a sting operation) and are they really going to spend the man hours, etc, for such a small return? 

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home