April 17, 2024, 09:48:32 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kayak Crabbing using Crab Pots- South Florida Crabbing YEAR-ROUND  (Read 4983 times)
Jimmies and Sooks

Jimmies and Sooks @jimmiesandsooks

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2023, 05:18:48 PM »

Hey Y'all
I crab pretty much exclusively from the Kayak and I'm just finding this Kayak Crabbing area of the Forum. I can't believe I missed out on this for so many years. lol
Doing a quick scroll I noticed trotlining is the weapon of choice for many BUT this trotlining method doesn't work well in the warmer South Florida waters. In my experience, I found that crab pots produce well so I have been using my Kayak for years to help me get my crab pots into the deeper water.
I do pretty well(as far as florida is considered) and If anyone is interested in this different style of crabbing (from a kayak) I have recorded a few of my crabbing adventures. Check out the videos if you're curious. 

Last thing left is to get those kayaks loaded up and get crabbing!
Logical1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 06:42:04 PM »

It's not that you missed it, this is a new section that I asked to have started just last year. I started it in honor of my friend Adam (arti0972) who taught me kayak crabbing before he passed suddenly in 2021. I knew we had more kayak crabbers on the forum than they realized.

I look forward to reading your reports and watching your videos.

There's no place like roam!
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 10:47:32 AM »

Thanks for sharing your crabbing technique. Here in MD only commercial crabbers can use the pots that are left to soak.  Thats probably the main reason we favor trotlines and of course we also use snap traps. The most popular traps for kayak use are the ringnet type traps due to their taking up less space than the metal wire traps.

Actually just remembered waterfront homeowners are allowed to use crabpots in front of their property. They're limited to 2 pots within 100 yards of their waterfront.

And especially thanks for sharing a crab dip recipe I had never heard of.   Dip is my favorite way to eat crabs so definitely gonna try that recipe this year.  

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
vw_buggsy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 01:42:30 PM »

Great video! I never would have thought of pot crabbing from a kayak but it sure looks like it works fine.

Some nights we have just crab dip for dinner around here too. I make up the dip and then toast up sliced French bread under the broiler to dip in it. Our usual hot dip recipe is much more basic than that though (basically just cream cheese, onion, Old Bay, maybe a splash of milk, and the crab). I'll have to try your queso based recipe this season.
Hawkeye
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 02:20:32 PM »

Brad - pretty cool video.  I always wonder this and perhaps you could settle my curiousity once and for all.   The waters where you crab - I presume are too salty for alligators?  But I've seen boat launch vidoes where crocodiles come by in FL....is there any risk?

Also the pots you use - I see have turtle excluders.  But I've read those don't work for smaller terps....Do you ever find a lot of turtles in your pots?  

Finally - crab queso videos are not allowed on this board unless you plan on overnight shipping that up to us to try... laugh

moc
Lifetime Member

Machburner

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 07:19:29 AM »

Very cool video and yet another way to kayak crab from a kayak. 

MOC a.k.a. "Machburner"
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2023, 09:12:54 AM »

Brad, Thanks for your videos! Good stuff and I like your Salt Springs trip and that 9" monster!

Retired in paradise!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home