June 15, 2024, 08:47:11 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need tips for catching eel  (Read 5016 times)
Jim Bright

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2024, 12:57:26 PM »

Hoping to catch crab bait this spring. Picked up some square eel pots and they are ready to set--they have rebar, zinc, and a float. Now I just need to find some eel, so I am looking for any tips on the best water temp? Depth? Salinity? Soak time?  I am in Wicomico County, MD.

Planning to start around Mid March when the water warms a bit. Closest ramp is 5 min from my house and I'd only be setting a couple dozen pots to start. I can use up to 50. My goal is to fill a couple 5 gallon buckets each trip. Is that realistic?

reds

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 02:52:18 PM »

Shallow creeks with soft bottom is the best...The sun will warm the water faster. Horseshoe crab is the best bait. Next are softshell clams.

I'am guessing 2 doz pots won't get you a couple draw buckets on one run.
Jim Bright

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 03:31:30 PM »

Thanks, good tip. Plenty of mud on the lower E Shore. I will definitely add more pots if I find the eels are potting good. I'll try to post some photos of the pots--hard to describe how they're designed--kind of a unique two chamber/ two funnel system. Hoping they catch good. I mostly see round pots and that's all my uncle ever used so no idea how these square pots will catch.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 03:39:26 PM »

I use trash crabs.  I just smash them and throw in the pot.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2024, 05:33:44 PM »

I eel'd a little bit.  Didn't have clue what I was doing, used clam for bait, threw in 50ish pots in about 8' of water, two days later each pot was jammed full.

reds

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 06:21:04 PM »

Thanks, good tip. Plenty of mud on the lower E Shore. I will definitely add more pots if I find the eels are potting good. I'll try to post some photos of the pots--hard to describe how they're designed--kind of a unique two chamber/ two funnel system. Hoping they catch good. I mostly see round pots and that's all my uncle ever used so no idea how these square pots will catch.

Lot of eelers have gone to long lines to cut down on people helping themselves.

What is the wire opening, now, 3/4?
Jim Bright

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2024, 06:49:54 PM »

I'll end up using 50 I'm sure. Hope to see full pots. Mesh size minimum is 1/2" now, used to be 1/4" I think. Plan is to use crab or razors.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2024, 07:17:16 PM »

Those square pots will catch just fine. 
double E

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2024, 06:16:05 AM »

I find that razors work way better than anything else, at least for me they do. The only problem is you can almost buy eel for bait for what razors cost now.
partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2024, 09:19:54 AM »

why are the larger eels less attractive for crabs

Jim Bright

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2024, 10:15:50 AM »

I've never used the larger eel for bait mostly because they end up on someone's table I bet. I like smaller baits regardless of what it is.

I posted a photo of the style pots I'm working with. Believe they were made in VA.
vw_buggsy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2024, 09:59:45 AM »

Jim I'm going to be trying to catch some eel over here in the Southern MD area this spring as well, I might even try our version of the Wicomico river.

I picked up a couple of used square "commercial style" eel pots from a guy in the fall. They are sort of similar to your pictures but vinyl coated mesh. I had only seen small round or square ones with cloth funnels before.

Mostly I thought I'd try it out because the recreational crabbing license lets me run up to 10 eel pots to catch my own bait, the used pots were pretty cheap, and I thought it'd be something to try in the spring before the crabs really start to get going.  I've never even SEEN an eel that wasn't in a fish tank or sushi restaurant so this should be interesting laugh On the advice of some folks on this forum I just chucked all of last years dead-loss crabs in the freezer and I'll see if that works for bait.

I'm a little bit lazy to be honest so I suspect the whole catching and processing and salting my own bait idea won't last long and I'll just go back to using chicken necks! But at least I'll be able to say I tried it out and get some laughs.

I hope you'll post your results on the forum, eeling doesn't get discussed a whole lot here so it's hard to find any info on. I think I've pieced together a plan but like anything else I'll have to figure out a lot of stuff as I go along (or not).

(1) Except as provided in žE of this regulation, an individual who catches or attempts to catch crabs for recreational purposes in the waters of the Chesapeake Bay and its tidal tributaries shall pay the fee and obtain a recreational crabbing license in order to use the following gear to catch crabs:
(c) Up to ten eel pots for catching the individual's own bait, which are:
(i) Clearly labeled with the individual's name;
(ii) Not placed in a buoy free channel as listed in Regulation .07H of this chapter or COMAR 08.02.05.08F; and
(iii) Used only for catching eels
vw_buggsy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2024, 10:08:11 AM »

Here's my notes and info gathered from other posts and my own posts on this forum on eeling, maybe they'll help. NONE of this is my own first hand knowledge just stuff I've gathered to try this spring:

you gotta set the trap in a hole, thats where they'll most likely be. april to november when the water temp is above 51 degrees.  you can use an eel trap and check it every couple days, cause the funnel in the trap lets them in but not out. if ya use an eel trap make sure the mesh size is 1/2 x 1/2 inch cause thats the size mesh that keeps the bait eels in the trap.
best bait- female horseshoe crab. you could also use bunker or any type of crushed crab.
They like liver as well.

eels are everywhere, but always on the bottom..  like i said, save your trash from eatting crabs or just take a lite jimmy and crush it with your heel..

"Eels follow spawning fish and won't pot until it gets warmer, about end of April here."

PROCESSING EELS FOR BAIT:
____________________________________________________________________________________________
9-10" eels are best for bait, must be 9" to be legal and no more than 25 daily.
   Larger are good for eating.
However: LARGER eels can be split lengthwise and cut in thirds before dry salting.

Right from the pot, directly into a strong salt brine solution
     The pickle is made using 4 pounds of salt to 5 gallons of water
This will kill and de-slime the eels.
Use a lid for the bucket, the eels go nuts when the hit the brine!
At home: transfer to a dry salt brine for storage, cut them up as you use them for bait.
   1" layer at bottom, enough salt to cover each layer

Baited line can be stored in the same pickle solution for storage (refrigeration not needed).

NOTE: if the picke is right a raw potato or egg will float in it!
Crabslayer
Supporting Member

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2024, 01:35:13 PM »

why are the larger eels less attractive for crabs

They intimidate the crab.

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!
Jim Bright

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2024, 10:54:00 AM »

Tried the eel pots and they caught okay. Posted a photo of the first pot I pulled.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home