August 17, 2018, 03:03:42 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When are Blue Crabs available?  (Read 9655 times)
AA1NK

« on: March 15, 2003, 09:57:20 PM »

Roll Eyes I live in CT and want to take a trip to Maryland as soon as I can find blue crabs. When are they available?
waterman4456

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2003, 02:27:53 PM »

You can get some in april  but they will be more readly avalible in may and usualy the price drops some after the holidays expecialy after 4th of july.
NJ Grasshopper

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2003, 07:51:35 PM »

Welllllll nowwwwww .......... just to keep things interesting while we wait for the warm water, (I do like to 'stir the pot'), AA1NK - you could save alot of gas and stop where the best tasting crabs are:

NEW JERSEY!!!

The're in now at alot of the wholesale clam houses. The dredgers dig them up this time of year and the ones I saw two weeks ago looked pretty good to me. Now of course, I won't spend money on something I can get for free half the year --- but yer welocme to try some of the worlds tasty-est right here in the Garden State!!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2003, 08:45:14 AM »

73 AA1NK... I assume that's your amateur radio callsign. My callsign is K4GBA. Glad to see another ham on the forum!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2003, 08:45:37 AM by Steve » Logged
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2003, 04:24:10 PM »

NJ Grasshopper......

"Best ones huh?"  I'll take issue with that, but eveveryone's got their own opinions.  Personally I say Maryland crabs are best but in the middle of winter I don't turn down gulf crabs.  Nosurieeeee!!!!

I don't much care for the dredge crabe tho'.  I got some from VA a coupla' times and they were like eatin' sandpaper.

I say saves yer money on the dredge ones and get somes from the gulf.  I think you'll like them better.

Kodi

Crabbyboy

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2003, 04:58:09 PM »

utooo here we go with the best crabs again!!! Wink

MARYLAND CRABS all the way!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin
eelfisher

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2003, 10:30:48 PM »

well....im from jersey, so i guess i gotta say we got the best crabs, right? Roll Eyes   those crabs in maryland taste pretty [dang] good too! Grin  i dont care where theyre from as long as they are on MY plate!
Kodi

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2003, 08:30:08 AM »

That's right eelfisher!  The ones on your plate are always the best ones!

Kodi
waterman4456

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2003, 02:21:16 PM »

Seeing how i've never ate any garden state crabs i can't argue with Grasshopper but they better be darn tasty! When it comes to dredge crabs they do need to be cleaned( shell off,insides scraped out) and washed to get rid of grit. Some of the dredgers in VA. will put them in there shedding tanks for a few days and the crabs will flush them selfs out. Do they allow crab dredging in New Jersey?
eelfisher

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2003, 10:05:19 PM »

waterman, they do allow dredging in jersey but its a limited entry deal. same with potting and trot lining. if you havent been in the industry before, you cant get into it Cry Cry

they did the same this year with the fish pot license which includes conching.

did the same a few years ago with the horseshoe crab. they decided to issue permits for people holding two licenses from previous years, and i only had one

i just got the shaft this week when i found out i cant get a gill net license. in order to get this license, you had to fill out an application each year the past two years, which i did. the third year you could get your license. well, i went this week to get it, and they said the law changed and the only way to get the license is if you held one before.

once again, i'm a day late and a dollar short.

what a great state i live in! Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

Crabbyboy

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2003, 10:14:03 PM »

I personaly don't agree with dredging up crabs, i think it is un fair
waterman4456

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2003, 10:11:13 PM »

Sounds alot like VA.s regs ellfisher. You got to keep a fortune in license even if you don't use them every year Undecided  I'm short on time Crabbyboy but i'm going to get back to you on the dredging thing Smiley
« Last Edit: March 19, 2003, 10:14:05 PM by waterman4456 » Logged
waterman4456

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2003, 10:39:03 AM »

( Crab dredging)  In the good old days boats were smaller with 150 to 200 horsepower .These things limited the size of dredges pulled and amount of days worked. The skill level of the dredgers was at a premium. Today big fiberglass boats with 400 to 600 horsepower and all the electrionics you can pack in a wheelhouse have few limitations. The power alows the dredger to pull 2, 8 foot dredges with divers ( down force devices ) and alot of tow chain to keep dredges digging in most weather. The electronics alow them to maximize their target speeds and systematically work an area of crabs. We need to reduce the size of dredges and length of season. We need to set weight caught triggers to shut down season if need be. The same triggers should be used for sponge crabs. Even though I'm for a ban on selling all sponge crabs we do live in a democracy and the right thing is not always done. We should however be able to negotiate weight caught or not caught triggers that would automatically close or open seasons and or gear stipulations. I could have just said it's not always what you do but how you do it but you did pull the soap box out for me . Thanks
cw4340

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2003, 03:43:27 PM »

sponge crabs when somethin that close to havin youngins thats all most like s---in were you eat some times you gotta look past tommorow Huh Huh Huh
waterman4456

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2003, 08:03:29 PM »

Got that right cw some are only in it for the green stuff.

Crabbyboy

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2003, 11:08:12 PM »

Yeah, ur right waterman, those 600 + horsepower giants are out to catch A LOT of crabs nowdays, and of course the unforgetable green stuff.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home