October 15, 2021, 05:22:52 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lake Mattamuskeet  (Read 5462 times)
andyn

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2006, 03:38:22 PM »

Hi Everyone,

My family and I are new to this site.  My wife and I have always loved crabbing and are continuing the tradition with our kids.  I'm glad we found this site of others who like to crab.  I was beginning to think that we were some of the few folks left who love it.  A lot of people ask us why we bother going crabbing when you can just buy them in a store.  I guess they are missing the point.

We've been reading a lot of past posts (and seeing giant crab pictures) about Lake Mattamuskeet and thought we would give it a try this weekend. Has anyone been there lately?
Any areas of the lake better than any others?  I hear there are bugs as big as choppers so we will bring the spray.  Anything else we should know about crabbing "the lake"?

Thanks.  Andy & family

HenPot
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 06:08:49 PM »

When we were there, the bugs weren't too bad, I think the alligators and snakes got them all!

We crabbed the canals, which a rumor had told us are very productive, especially this time of the year!  Unfortunately, we weren't there this time of the year.  Grin  You should do very well, other posts have mentioned super nice sized crabs, often catching a few to a trap! 

If possible, you may want to take a sickle or machete, to help get through some of the grass, the area was pretty well grown up.

Good Luck
andyn

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 10:51:33 AM »

Thanks for the info.  We'll let you know how we do.... if the gators and snakes don't get us.

Andy
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 11:47:59 AM »

Get some good Deet, when we the there the flies were like helicopters. Shocked Wink Cool Cool

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
HenPot
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 01:36:48 PM »

Get some good Deet, when we the there the flies were like helicopters. Shocked Wink Cool Cool

Joe, they were helicopters with papparazzi in them, they heard the honorable JoeCrabs was there!  Grin

horsefly
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 09:11:29 PM »

Lived around this area for over twenty years never chicken necked on the lake before, until this weekend. I've dipped netted for herring at the same spot my kids and I went to caught the limit in about 2.5 hrs. We went real late afternoon on dropping tide. Found out they kinda slow up just like herring on out going tide. Hot as h***! dont think we will go again until the temp drops under 85 oh by the way nice crabs some were 7" but avg was 5 3/4" mixed male/sooks  and LOTS of small under 5" crabs. Will take pics next time.

Lots of crabbers and crab lovers on here. If you enjoy crabs, lot's of info and good chat about crabs. Why not go ahead and donate to this forum. Deep down after doing research on here and chatting with others,you will find useful info from some new friends.ENJOY!!
andyn

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 11:36:35 AM »

We had a good day crabbing on the lake Saturday.  Caught two dozen keepers from between 6" and 7".
They were all full and tasty. Not too many bugs, zero gators and just one snake (brown water snake).
A long day trip for us, but it is a pretty cool place and worth checking out. Thanks for posting about it.

I think we'll try around Topsail Island or maybe the New Bern area next time.  We enjoy exploring this great state of North Carolina. If anyone has any favorite places to crab in the above towns (or anywhere else in NC), we would like to hear about them.

Thanks,
Andy & Family
HenPot
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 11:41:22 AM »

Nice job Andy!  Keep a eye open on here for members coming down there for crabbing, just about everyone here enjoys meeting new friends and enjoying a laugh.

By the way, that 1 snake, was still one too many for me!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home