November 28, 2021, 10:09:07 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wholesale prices  (Read 4761 times)
got crab

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2006, 03:09:32 PM »

What kind of prices are being paid. we are getting $40 and $20.
We are in sc
mitchellseafood

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 07:14:36 PM »

$40 and $20 for what?  Are you asking retailers or anyone for that matter how much we pay the crabbers for crabs?
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 07:28:39 PM »

mitchell  typically the price is given #1 males and then females.  #2 males are often similar priced as females, but not always.  from what ive seen, carolina crabs are culled 6" and up recently.  Bay crabs are getting 60 and 30 in our area right now, but are culled 5 1/4 and up, with over 1/2 between 5 1/4 to 5 1/2.  other areas of the bay are paying 80 for 5 3/4 and up. 

wevegotcrabs

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 09:09:11 PM »

we are paying 80 cents per pound for small and medium 1.00 for large and 1.25 per pound for jumbos here in titusville

321-302-6589 or email us at [email protected]
Crabslayer
Supporting Member

Chesapeake Bay Crab Potter soon to be Java Sea

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 12:46:23 PM »

Now that it is after the holiday, buyers are paying $60 for 1s and $15 for 2s on the ES, MD.

This is how it's going to go.  After I kick your A$$ i'm going to run you through the wood chipper and put you in containers in the freezer to use in my crab pots!  The really sad part?  You let an old man kick your A$$!!!

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 12:53:18 PM »

.....it's always interesting to hear these prices........I love it when individuals read this board and come to me, expecting to pay the same price as what retailers are paying........."well, I heard everyone else is selling for 60 a bushel....and your asking How much? Lips Sealed

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 01:01:03 PM »

.....it's always interesting to hear these prices........I love it when individuals read this board and come to me, expecting to pay the same price as what retailers are paying........."well, I heard everyone else is selling for 60 a bushel....and your asking How much? Lips Sealed

there are soo many different factors... where they are from, how big they are, how heavy, and the market/shipping distance.  just along the eastern shore, they will get 60-80 a bushel in rock hall, 50-60 in cambridge, and 40 in crisfield... but the crisfield crabs will average 5 1/2 and the rock hall crabs will be culled 6+  and that is what everyone is calling #1s  gets confusing when people dont give average size and cull minimum Undecided

chris if they give you [curd], tell em to go to lexington market... they will come crawling back  Grin  your prices are a good deal

ChrisS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 01:07:39 PM »

.......I think so too, thanks P.C............I've had a few use this site against me, though......and do my very best, not to generate any business from this site, or any site for that matter. Tongue

in·teg·ri·ty   
–noun 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 07:07:21 PM »

yea i think ive gotten more sh.. from people about selling crabs than anyone, but ive got a few good customers and a bunch of friends too.. so in my mind it is worth putting up with peoples [curd]   Wink

redneckshoreboy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 07:46:12 AM »

Its easy to name your own price......but what do you guys do when you have 5 or 6 left over and can't sell them?  and to top it off....all the buyers around you are loaded  Cry
 It happen to me a couple times this year, and I had no choice but to drop the price Sad

procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 08:39:02 AM »

start picking and catch less.  if we start undercutting eachother, we will bid eachother down to $20 a bushel, and all of us will go broke. 

i suggest printing up business cards on your home computer and taking them to a local grocery store parking lot and putting them on cars.  remember, you dont want to undercut other crabbers when you can undercut retail prices, make very happy customers, and still make it worth your while to go out there.. slash your prices too much and you wont be able to make money even if you sold everything.  ive learned one thing, if you drop your prices, you can NEVER raise them.  why would someone pay 100 a bushel when last year you charged them 60... even if the crabs are really worth 180.  a good idea is to take an extra bushel and give them to a friend in exchange for them helping you advertise.  unless your prices are over $140 a bushel, the problem is not your price, it is amount of people who know you are selling crabs

GV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 10:01:51 AM »

You could also try welding beer taps to the side of the vehicle you use to sell crabs.
procrabber

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 02:14:50 PM »

You could also try welding beer taps to the side of the vehicle you use to sell crabs.

hey im a local celebrity because of those beer taps   Grin Grin 

R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 08:54:18 PM »

Dropping prices will not help you make any more money,all it will get you is lots more work for the same $$s, Y'all have to remember that only a certian amount of crabs are going to be sold on any given week, lowering the price will change that very little but will hurt a crabbers pocketbook a lot, if you need to sell more than the next guy then have packed bushels in new baskets of only top shelf stuff........... the difference in a part time waterman and a full time waterman most part timers will drop the price quick if they think they are going to get stuck, i use them to barter with and give away to potental future custormers and as a last resort,carry them back out to a place where i am the only one working and put them back in the water to catch again.Like PC said you don't get to raise the price back the next time because you didn't catch as many

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home