September 17, 2019, 12:43:22 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jersey Crabs for sale  (Read 9079 times)
#1 JIMMY

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2004, 10:00:28 PM »

I have been dieing for some blueclaws since it is too early to catch here in NJ, I spotted in a popular fish market for some live crabs since they advertized that they had crabs for $9.99 a dozen and up. I asked the counterperson if they had any big ones. He said they only had one size. He took the lid off and I couldnt believe what they were selling. The crabs were all mature females and measured at most 5". I said to myself that I should buy a dozen and measure them all. They varied from as little as 4 and a Quarter inches to a max of 5 inches. As all you pros know sooks have very long shell points compared to a male. So a 4-5 inch female crab looks real small. Can they sell crabs less than 4 and a half inches(nj size minimum)? Joe Crab you know this seafood store in your town.  
Joe Crabs
Lifetime Member

I fly on the Wye

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 11:06:09 PM »

I tell you #1 Jimmy, I rarely see them anymore, especially this early. Only the 3 1/2 -5' Softshells. Hey I think NY has a 4" limit. NJ I believe is 4 1/2. If they import them they can sell what they want I guess. But it's legal where they are catching them. Alot of people don't have a problem with 4 1/2 inch crabs. Sad Males or females. What are you goner do??? I wouldn't buy them, let someone else. As long as someone is buying they will catch them and sell them. No sense complaining, it won't change anything.

Crabbing, enjoying the water, meeting new people, making new friends, that's what it's all about.
cw4340

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 04:31:37 PM »

the smallest crab you can sell in nj 3" peeler 3-1/2 soft crab 4-3/4 hard&get ready cause this is  Sad Cry 4-1/2 mature female so police you own if there smaller than 4-1/2 then turn em in don,t talk about them numbers are off of nj comm regs-2004 Huh
procrabber

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 09:04:44 PM »

no minimum on sooks in MD, but a crab less than 5 isnt worth looking at
cw4340

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 03:15:51 AM »

cw don,t pack nothin smaller then 5" Wink

madcrab

Say hello to my littl' friend!!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 10:26:47 AM »

Right... Roll Eyes Grin

"...as a free man, I take pride in saying, I am a doughnut."
nits

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 11:39:27 AM »

hi,
    I  wold like to know some good fish markets where they sell blue crabs and fresh fish..If so plz lemme know...That would be really helpful.....
thnks
nits
cartmancop

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 11:59:48 AM »

That just doesn't seem right.  I'm still surprised that in MD you can keep any size mature female.  
crabline

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 12:11:48 PM »

nits,

where in NJ r u?

hi,
    I  wold like to know some good fish markets where they sell blue crabs and fresh fish..If so plz lemme know...That would be really helpful.....
thnks
nits
luke at uscoach
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 08:52:48 PM »

Hi #1 Jimmy:
I posted a story, early this year, about two places where small females were being sold and quite frankly, I was shot down, in that I was told they were probably imported???

Well crabs don't have printed on them made in China, Japan, or elsewhere.

There is no doubt in this writers mind that the crabs come from very close to N.J., probably dredged or however by, "NON-CARING, as opposed to the many CARING commercial crabbers who are out there just trying to make an honest living and abiding by the rules!!!!!

Having hunted for many years in the past, as I am sure many of you have, there are folks that abide by the rules and many who do not!!!  And it is no different on the water!!!

I hope as time goes on, the waters continue to clean up so there is enough for those dependent upon the waters for their living and those of us who occasionally go out to pick up a couple of dozen to enjoy!!!!  And the "CROOKS", they will always be here.

Happy  and "SAFE" crabbing this season!!!

LUKE at US COACH

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home