October 21, 2021, 07:09:55 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trot Line usage in Massachusetts  (Read 5977 times)
masspi

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2006, 02:52:23 PM »

For the longest time I have tried to find out if it is legal in Massachusetts to use a Trot Line to get crabs.  After going down several dead ends, I finall connected with a person at the Division of Marine Fisheries who advised that a Recreational Crabber can use a trot line as long as the limit of 50 crabs per day is adhered to.

I believe in MD they can take up to 2 bushels a day with a Trot Line, but Massachusetts does enforce the 50 crab per day limit.  No license is required for Recreational Crabbing. 

A Trot Line can also be used by the holder of a Family Lobster Permit.

Hope this is helpful to anyone who thought about using a Trot Line.................sure beats "Necking" from the shore, you just need a little bit more equipment...............like a boat, line, snoods, anchors, floats, bait, etc.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

For more information on Trot Lines check out       http://www.blue-crab.org/crabbing/trotline.html

unclebuttsy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 05:19:11 PM »

Hey MP,

Did you ever try running a trotline?

I'm considering a short one... esp. since I have friends in RI, and their regs specifically allow trots - with a 25 daily limit. I guess they're legal here too.

I'd buoy it w/ my lobster floats to be on the safe side.

Anyone have anything to add?
masspi

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 02:50:04 AM »

No................never bothered.  With so many crab available with box traps I felt that the effort was just not worth the time and expense.  I can tell you that there is no regulation regarding the length of a trot line, it could be ten miles long if you wanted it to be.  The only use in recent year has been by commercial Cod fishermen and you know what happend to the Cod fishery in Massachusetts.

I will give you back the good advice you gave me last year.  Stick with traps, they are a sure thing !!!!!

If you wanted to play around, it might be fun though.  I will sit on my deck drinking a cold one and wait to see you putting down the Weweantic, flipping crab into the boat with your scap net.

You are right Jeff, only 50 crab per day no matter what license you have when you use a trot line.

I'll stick to traps, I hate to place limitations on myself
unclebuttsy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 09:22:01 AM »

Just curious. My interest in a trotline has more to do with a friend of mine that just moved to Rhode Island. They don't allow pots but they do allow trots.

I'll stick with traps in your neighborhood.
krabbie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »

Has anyone got ideas on where in Massachusetts to crab, using lines or I may go for a trap..appreciate any help..

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home